DVLA Medical done today

Convicted Driver Insurance

jamie1234

Hello!

I thought I'd share my experience of the DVLA CDT Medical I had today.
Sat down with an independent GP who asked me some questions such as when was your last drink, how often I drink, how many times do I drink over 8+ units per year.
Have you ever been to the Doctors about alcohol problems, do you take drugs or smoke cannabis, does anyone have concerns about your drinking. No no no to everything.
She took my blood pressure, checked my pulse, breathing, quick eye test, felt around my liver area and then took the blood.

I told her I'd had 2 pints last friday and 3 weeks ago I was on holiday and had a few beers around the pool on an afternoon and she said that's not a problem.
She said we are looking for people with alcohol dependancies with this test, people who drink everyday and CANNOT stop.
She then filled a form out for the DVLA and showed me that she is telling them no concerns.
Asked for my Doctors, and I told her who I am with but have not been in 10 years! She said thats fine the DVLA wont bother writing to them then as there is no point.

She said I should here back from the DVLA within 4 weeks.

Before I booked my medical I was drinking about 4 beers per evening near enough every evening.
I've gone about 7-8 weeks with a limited amount per week (some weeks 2 pints) and the holiday about 4 bottles of bud light per day.

I'm very confident in what the results will be and I'll come back and let you know what they are.

hi, yes please post what your results are , I have to do a medical but not sure what it is they are really looking for or how long before the medical you have to stop drinking. I work on the railway so don't drink before work anyway , but sometimes I binge drink if im off. good luck

Hi,
No problem I shall update.
Did you do the awarness course? On that we were told to stick to 14 units or under to pass the CDT test
The holiday week I drank more, but that was 3 weeks ago and they were light beer since then I've had 6 pints in total
Weeks before holiday 2 were 0 drinks and 1 I had 4.
Ive stuck to a lowere alcohol volume lager also rather than the stronger stuff.

Ive called the DVLA because I'm an eager beaver to chase up my license.
She told me on the phone that they have the blood results but not the paperwork from the Dr yet.
A DVLA Doctor needs to look at the results and paperwork first.
I asked her can she tell me the results of the blood test she said no, she isn't qualified to.
I said can't you just say if I've passed or not? ?
She said no sorry

I''ll ring em again tuesday lol

Hi,

Just to ease your mind;

I had my medical just over a week ago. The process was exactly as you described.

I drank 2 bottles of 12% wine, plus a few cocktails and half a bottle of gin over the weekend before the medical. The weekend before that I also drank several bottles of wine plus a few gins. I am a 33 year old female of healthy BMI and I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day. I take a multi vitamin tablet each day but no other supplements. I don't drink at all during the week.

I called the DVLA a week after my medical and they stated that they had that day received the results of my blood test and questionnaire and had uploaded onto the system for their medical team to review. I called again the next day (today) and they confirmed that my licence has been issued and I can drive from now.

Lots of people on here state that you need to be abstinent for 12 weeks or so to ensure you pass the medical. I am not suggesting that anyone should not abstain or reduce their alcohol intake if they feel so inclined, but I hope that this post will reassure people who have not abstained and are awaiting their results.

Good luck to all x

Hi Mezza,

Thank you for sharing what happened with your medical.
I do feel there is a little too much scare mongering reg the medical and how long you should 'abstain' on these forums.
No doubt it can frighten some people.
Like the Doctor said they are looking for an alcohol dependence with that test and rightly so really. If you are alcohol dependent then it does need addressing before you are allowed to drive again.
I'll never do this again, it's cost me around £15k in taxis for me to get to and from my business! I've missed out in taking my Son to places he should be going (I'm not with his Mum) and more importantly I could have killed somebody. It's easily done.

I'm glad you got your license back! Good on you!

I'll call the DVLA again on Tuesday lol

Did you ask for your CDT test result? They told me I have to write to them for it?

The problems arise on a dvla medical when you have spoken to your doctor in the last 3 years about drinking too much, that may have been just a passing comment that he's noted on your records.

Then if you don't cut down enough and your cdt results are in the amber zone and you state you still drink that may be cause enough for them not to issue a licence as they could consider it as misuse within the last 6 months.

So before your medical just think back if you have ever mentioned alcohol to your GP.

Called the DVLA again today.....
They were pleased to inform me that today I was issued with a new clean driving license!
No problems with the results or Doctors. No follow up medical in a years time!!

I'm well chuffed, and it does show you don't have to completely abstain ?

Last edited:
Hi wondered if anybody could help. I was banned from driving in December 2015 for 48 months (failed to provide) reduced to 36 with the DD awareness course. I am due to have my medical within the next 6 weeks and just wanted some info. Up until about 3 weeks ago i only really drank every other weekend. Mainly larger and around 7-8 pints. I have stopped drinking completely on the 10th August 2018 and hope to have around 6-8 weeks abstaince do you think i will be ok regarding the CDT? Also when is the earliest i can apply for my licence? I am due to get it back 8/12/18. I am aware the DVLA send me the form around the 90 day left mark but to save time i’d rather send the D1 off on the first date i can rather than waiting for the DVLA’s . Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Jord

Well i wish Id have read this before starting my own post and having the absolute nastiest piss take out of me for asking if Id be okay 2 weeks after a binge due to being depressed about my grandma dying!! My medical is coming up and I'll be 4 weeks is sober so thanks for this if youre still on here xx

It's worth pointing out two things.

Firstly, you should pass the CDT test if you have controlled drinking but everyone is different. Even in clinical trials where people are drinking controlled amounts of alcohol there is variation in the time it takes for CDT to fall. It's a fairly safe bet that you can drink, but it's not a good idea to think that because one person has passed the test with a certain number of drinks, you are also guaranteed to pass too.

Secondly, it appears anecdotally that the DVLA apply a lower limit if they believe you are alcohol dependent, as for that you must abstain from alcohol for twelve months so theoretically your CDT should be below 1%. As such, if you think your GP may report you as alcohol dependent it is advisable to abstain for two weeks before the test.

If it was me I would abstain for two weeks because it seems a small price to pay to be quite sure you won't have the considerable hassle and extension to your ban if the DVLA refuse your licence - but then I'm not a betting man.

Tipsy... so is the half-life of CDT which is stated almost globally as 15-19 days not true then? It would seem that 3%+ could be a reading that someone who has drunk heavily could be feasible. Then a 2 week abstinence would still have you at 1.5+ ?

Tipsy... so is the half-life of CDT which is stated almost globally as 15-19 days not true then? It would seem that 3%+ could be a reading that someone who has drunk heavily could be feasible. Then a 2 week abstinence would still have you at 1.5+ ?
You are right that CDT has a half life of circa 15 days, but everyone has a different response to alcohol. That's why if you are testing someone for alcoholism you use at least two markers, because CDT itself is not comparable between individuals even drinking the same amounts.

For instance, for someone with what is seen as controlled drinking - less than 60g of alcohol a day - 95% will have a CDT of less than 1.7%, but 5% will have over 1.7% due to multiple factors. So unless you do a test before to know what your CDT is with reasonable drinking it's not possible to say how many drinks you can safely drink and have a CDT of less than 2.2%.

Essentially as a nurse I see CDT as a good test, but I would not rely solely on it when deciding on treatment. My impression is that the DVLA see it as gospel, that it totally reflects how much you drink. As such challenging it for any reason is very difficult.

I had my results just 4 days after posting the medichecks blood sample by special delivery. Results = 1.0% just 2 weeks after a 3-4 day binge on strong wine. Will be making a new post with details xx

Hi,

Just to ease your mind;

I had my medical just over a week ago. The process was exactly as you described.

I drank 2 bottles of 12% wine, plus a few cocktails and half a bottle of gin over the weekend before the medical. The weekend before that I also drank several bottles of wine plus a few gins. I am a 33 year old female of healthy BMI and I smoke about 10 cigarettes a day. I take a multi vitamin tablet each day but no other supplements. I don't drink at all during the week.

I called the DVLA a week after my medical and they stated that they had that day received the results of my blood test and questionnaire and had uploaded onto the system for their medical team to review. I called again the next day (today) and they confirmed that my licence has been issued and I can drive from now.

Lots of people on here state that you need to be abstinent for 12 weeks or so to ensure you pass the medical. I am not suggesting that anyone should not abstain or reduce their alcohol intake if they feel so inclined, but I hope that this post will reassure people who have not abstained and are awaiting their results.

Good luck to all x
Similar to me. I had a 3 day binge on strong wine after the passong of the woman who brought me up. 2 weeks later I was supposed to have my medical but withdrew due to some asshole on here saying I was basically an alcoholic and would absolutely NOT pass the blood test if I took it within a few weeks. I took the blood test 14 days later, on the day I would have had my medical. Medicare results 2 weeks after 3 day binge = 1.0% so dont take all the scaremongering from bitter people who clearly have alcohol dependencies themselves. I would have passed the cdt test with flying colours. Luckily I got a cancelation and took my official medical yesterday. Keep fit and healthy (and take a good liver tonic / capsules daily) for 2 weeks and should be fine after a binge xx

One person saying - obviously incorrectly - that you would absolutely not pass the CDT test is hardly "all the people scaremongering".

What is true is that if you drink every day or almost every day, or binge drink, then it impossible to predict how much is safe or not safe. If you search there are people on here with high CDT readings even with low alcohol consumption.

The safest option is to abstain or cut down your drinking, and people shouldn't be saying that alcohol consumption that gave them a pass is safe for everyone.

But likewise people shouldn't be "absolutely' passing or failing people online. Firstly its total bollocks, and secondly if it was possible I'd be charging £79 for it! ;)

How reliable is Medichecks, i have done mine after 6 weeks of complete abstience and had a reading of 1%. I have taken Milk Thistle, Multi Vitamines and Iron. When i did my DVLA medical on 19th Nov my CDT was 0.9%. Was that supposed to be Half (0.5%) or there would be a minimum level for CDT in the body.

Viapath, the DVLAs lab provider, use a process called capillary electrophoresis which is the gold standard in CDT testing.

Medichecks AFAIK don't disclose their method which probably means it is either chromatography or turbidimetric/enzyme immunoassay. This is less accurate than electrophoresis but bearing in mind most people paying Medichecks want an indicative result it is probably good enough.

The minimum level of CDT in a teetotal person is about 0.6%. I have said before on here I believe milk thistle slightly raises CDT if it makes any difference. You will never get 0% CDT, alcohol increases CDT, not entirely creates it.

Hi, received my licence renewal application today and have decided to go down the medichecks route first, but on looking at the website it says you have to draw your own blood through a vein with a needle... how on earth can a layperson, with no nursing knowledge do that?
I havent been to my GP for past 3 years for anything as i didnt want anything on record if the DVLA decide to contact my doctor to see if I had been in past 3 years, so I cant go to him as it would be on record that Id been to "see a doctor for something alcohol related in the past 3 years"...
I did see an option where you can pay an extra £39 to get a nurse from medichecks to come out to you.. has anyone done this?
It all seems a bit odd... even my son said he was gobsmacked that the medichecks people expect you to draw your own blood with no experience whatsoever... very confused as to a way forward now!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off