DVLA Medical | #ChangeDVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance

kjackson96

Now let me start this topic off with my favourite hobby. In July 2015 I had finally passed my driving test, at the time my grandad was still around. That same year, my grandad passed. But he turned to me and said that was the best birthday present he has received in his entire life. Since then, driving has been my biggest absolute hobby – I took over a passion for my grandads XR3i, and eventually owned my favourite car which was a MK1 MX5 1996 model.

In February of 2018 I had a seizure, it was my first ever seizure. In turn pending the medical investigation I was suspended from work. Luckily, nothing ever came back from the MRI’s. I happily revoked my driving license for 12 months just to be safe.

To date, in August 2020 no medical professional has diagnosed me with any condition with regard to this event. I have had no epileptic tendencies or events since February 2018.

I have since had 4x applications with DVLA with regard to my medical case (FEP1) in which one of these applications I strongly believe I was discriminated against which the Chief Executive of DVLA is aware of.

I appreciate DVLA has to assess every case fairly, but this is hardly a fair case.

In August 2020, they’re now contacting a local hospital regarding a migraine and pulled calf – Please bare in mind this was the only ever time I have visited this hospital due to the recent change of addresses, a migraine and pulled carf has nothing to do with a seizure that happened in 2018. I have since asked DVLA to appeal this medical decision, and unfortunately, they only advised they can update the notes. Instead, I am too tired of going round in circles and ask the public for their desperate urgent help.

I currently have a long-standing complaint with the DVLA, I now turn to the public for help. I cannot appeal any application to court as when I disagree with their inappropriate ridiculous decisions I get marked as non-compliant.

Follow the Movement here: https://www.change.org/p/dvla-dvla-medical-procedures-get-my-license-back

There is research that indicates that there is a link between migraines and seizures, although they are different in function.
What DVLA will have done is considers this migraine (and your change.org submission mentions a head injury) together with a previous seizure and want to see you symptoms free from the date of your last event.

For that reason I cannot support your petition which other than say “DVLA medical procedures- get my licence back” and tell your story, says nothing about what process you want to be followed. A petition should state a problem, and a clear path to the solution that the petitioner wants to see. You would need tens of thousands of signatures to get noticed, but even then DVLA will not change their stance on medical issues for re issuing licences.

Last edited:
There is research that indicates that there is a link between migraines and seizures, although they are different in function.
What DVLA will have done is considers this migraine (and your change.org submission mentions a head injury) together with a previous seizure and want to see you symptoms free from the date of your last event.

For that reason I cannot support your petition which other than say “DVLA medical procedures- get my licence back” and tell your story, says nothing about what process you want to be followed. A petition should state a problem, and a clear path to the solution that the petitioner wants to see. You would need tens of thousands of signatures to get noticed, but even then DVLA will not change their stance on medical issues for re issuing licences.

Hi John,

I completely disagree, it doesn't take 3 years to assess someones fitness to drive. In that 3x years, I have been cleared by numerous medical professionals at many different doctors and DVLA approved doctors.

I get your point, migraines are linked to seizures, but... Wouldn't my 4x successful MRI scans showing nothing wrong with my brain prove that?

So what you're saying John, is that If I check myself into a hospital for absolute any reason, this is going to have a negative impact on me, the victim.

DVLA have had 3x years to assess my NON-EXISTENT Medical Condition, the medical professionals have spoken & I want my job back I have worked so hard for, If you don't agree that's your choice - But local MP's and even the CEO of DVLA agree that this has taken far too long when no tendencies or diagnosis can be found.

I'm done waiting, & it'll only get worse from here - I'll keep pushing and pushing and pushing, they've kept my life and many others lives on hold for far longer than needed.

Edit: In 3 days of starting the petition I have had 12 members of the public come to me with the exact same issue, their life on hold, BBC news article should hopefully be revisited with me and these 12 other members of the public to reach more members affected by the same problem. The petition was started solely for me... But after having several vulnerable members come to me with the exact same problem I'm going to stand up for the vulnerable. I have no proven medical condition, and this is hard enough. Imagine how hard it would be for someone with a pre-existing medical condition. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37703036

Thanks,

K Jackson.

Last edited:
From your timeline, DVLA have not been investigating for 3+ years, your seizure was in February 2018, and you were happy that you did not drive for 12 months. You did not say when your trip to A and E was with ‘migraines and a calf injury’ was, or when you submitted your application for licence renewal but until you did submit the application there would be no investigation by DVLA.
If this was more than 6 months ago then I agree that you have cause for a complaint to be made via their own stage 1 and 2 procedures. Several people on ere have reported that they have had assistance from their MP which have helped move things on.
once all that has been done, the only thing open to a person refused a licence on medical grounds is an appeal to the magistrates court, nut for a 6 month period that I saw a report for last year, DVLA reported that they had won every case where they had to defend their decision (and asked for their costs to be paid by the person appealing in some cases)

I would point out that you did not check yourself into the hospital for ‘any reason’, it was for a calf injury and a migraine, which is relevant to DVLA because of your previous seizure. Had it been for a calf injury alone, then it clearly wold not have been relevant.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off