DVLA Medical and Anxiety?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jools

Well Known Member
Hi all - been reading the threads on here and they are really panicking me as I am really keen to do everything right and get the ball rolling as soon as I can apply for my license back. I am an HRO with 8 months left on my ban (DVLA got the date wrong but am trying to rectify that) and have stopped drinking well in advance of my CDT test (which I guess is minimum 6 months away) and intend not to drink until then. However I'm really worried from reading this thread that even if I get a score of below 1, they will contact my GP. I do not to my knowledge have anything in my GP records about alcohol dependence or misuse, but I do suffer from anxiety and high blood pressure (familial - both my parents had hypertension) and it seems that anxiety counts against you (even though over half the people I know are on anxiety or depression meds!) Would they definitely contact my GP for a first offence with a low CDT score? And if so is there anything I can do? Anxiety does not stop me driving, in fact not being able to drive is one of the major things that makes me anxious! Any advice greatly appreciated.

Hi all - been reading the threads on here and they are really panicking me as I am really keen to do everything right and get the ball rolling as soon as I can apply for my license back. I am an HRO with 8 months left on my ban (DVLA got the date wrong but am trying to rectify that) and have stopped drinking well in advance of my CDT test (which I guess is minimum 6 months away) and intend not to drink until then. However I'm really worried from reading this thread that even if I get a score of below 1, they will contact my GP. I do not to my knowledge have anything in my GP records about alcohol dependence or misuse, but I do suffer from anxiety and high blood pressure (familial - both my parents had hypertension) and it seems that anxiety counts against you (even though over half the people I know are on anxiety or depression meds!) Would they definitely contact my GP for a first offence with a low CDT score? And if so is there anything I can do? Anxiety does not stop me driving, in fact not being able to drive is one of the major things that makes me anxious! Any advice greatly appreciated.
It seems random on when they do and don't contact the GP. I would take it that they will, especially as you are an HRO. Anxiety and/or depression do not in themselves trigger a GP referral, but a fair few people with anxiety do misuse alcohol to self medicate and DVLA know this.

Speak to the GP now and explain that you will be applying for your licence again in a few months. Ask for a few LFT's to be carried out over the coming months so you can help show a healthy liver, and ask them if there are any notes on their system that would be of concern regarding holding a licence. Having the GP on board early is one of the best ways to assure your licence is reissued with the least resistance.

It seems random on when they do and don't contact the GP. I would take it that they will, especially as you are an HRO. Anxiety and/or depression do not in themselves trigger a GP referral, but a fair few people with anxiety do misuse alcohol to self medicate and DVLA know this.

Speak to the GP now and explain that you will be applying for your licence again in a few months. Ask for a few LFT's to be carried out over the coming months so you can help show a healthy liver, and ask them if there are any notes on their system that would be of concern regarding holding a licence. Having the GP on board early is one of the best ways to assure your licence is reissued with the least resistance.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to me, really appreciate your advice : )

Thank you for taking the time to respond to me, really appreciate your advice : )
Some HRO on here have their license with in 14-17 days after their medical.seems like dvla pick and choose who they contact for further info..

I think that anxiety/ depression will trigger a GP enquiry but apart from adding to the length of the process this is not something that I regard as negative. As you say , quite rightly, large numbers of people suffer from depression/ anxiety. Having been in exactly your position , and having hadn’t licence returned, my suggestion would be to make sure your GP knows you are involved with the DVLA , and if the steps you’ve take to stop drinking .

I think that anxiety/ depression will trigger a GP enquiry but apart from adding to the length of the process this is not something that I regard as negative. As you say , quite rightly, large numbers of people suffer from depression/ anxiety. Having been in exactly your position , and having hadn’t licence returned, my suggestion would be to make sure your GP knows you are involved with the DVLA , and if the steps you’ve take to stop drinking .
Having HAD my licence returned I intended to say !!!!

Sorry to jump on this thread but looking for a little advice along the same lines. Pretty much the same scenario as OP but substitute Anxiety / depression for a minor eating disorder. Never received meds for this but spoke to my GP who put me in touch with CBT Lady for a few chats and worked through it. got access to my medical records and no mention whatsoever of anything to do with alcohol and I get tested every year for elevated blood pressure and get bloods taken every year. I am an HRO with ban up on 18th July, waiting on medical and just wondering whether to even mention about chats with therapist about my appetite? any advice appreciated.

Sorry to jump on this thread but looking for a little advice along the same lines. Pretty much the same scenario as OP but substitute Anxiety / depression for a minor eating disorder. Never received meds for this but spoke to my GP who put me in touch with CBT Lady for a few chats and worked through it. got access to my medical records and no mention whatsoever of anything to do with alcohol and I get tested every year for elevated blood pressure and get bloods taken every year. I am an HRO with ban up on 18th July, waiting on medical and just wondering whether to even mention about chats with therapist about my appetite? any advice appreciated.
You only need to mention anything they ask you about. Perhaps if eating disorder is considered a mental health issue then you are best to mention as if they write to GP it will come out anyway. As far as I am aware, nobody has been refused a licence purely due to eating disorders though so don't worry.

They probably will contact your GP, it shouldn’t prevent your licence from being reissued based on what you’ve said, but it might delay it a bit. I applied April 2021, had my medical at the end of June, was advised at the end of august they were contacting my GP and received my one years licence at the end of Oct.

Keep the faith!

Back in late 2019/early 2020 I was treated with CBT having been diagnosed with generalised anxiety and adjustment disorder. It was a rough time. But so glad I did it.

I was less than 12 months’ discharged from therapy at the time of my last medical. So I had to state whom I had seen, and obviously when. Despite being treated privately, it was still shared with my GP and went on file, so all relevant to their investigations. I disclosed all of this on the paperwork sent to the DVLA, and they did indeed write to the psychiatrist and psychologist I was ultimately referred to; as well as my GP of course. Thankfully with them both being private, they wrote back pretty quickly. GP was a bit more hassle as the form they had to complete was very exhaustive, and they wanted to see me as part of that.

Nonetheless, I still passed the medical, and a license was issued. I was well dry by then, and I think this mattered most; but as far as anxiety and mental issues goes it’s definitely not a complication unless you make it one by not being honest. Honesty really goes a long way with this process.

Anxiety is a very common illness now, but not necessarily a debilitating one. I think that if you’re open with them about it all and your treatment - and of course get through the alcohol part - you’ll be fine.

HTH.

In the medical there are standard questions, one of which asks re any mental health / emotional health issues in the last three years. The questionnaire is available online for reference ( can’t remember exactly where). I suggest you have a chat with your GP and ask them for advice re how to answer the questions. It is no surprise that many of us have had bits of challenges, and often these challenges provided some contact for the offence. You will have no problem with the medical I’m sure.

Hello - thanks to everyone who replied on here. I have to say reading some of the accounts on this forum about the DVLA has made my anxiety far worse. Does anyone get fair treatment? It seems once you are in the system you are treated as an addict by default?

Hello - thanks to everyone who replied on here. I have to say reading some of the accounts on this forum about the DVLA has made my anxiety far worse. Does anyone get fair treatment? It seems once you are in the system you are treated as an addict by default?
I don’t think this is the case , although understand how it feels like this. They want to satisfy themselves there is no ongoing active problem. Unfortunately the inefficient and antiquated processes leave us feeling we are trapped in some kafkaesque nightmare. It will work out , just keep progress chasing

First off, kudos to you for taking steps to get back on track. It's not easy, but you're doing the right thing by being proactive. Regarding your concerns, I totally understand why you'd be worried about them contacting your GP, especially with anxiety being a factor. It's frustrating how certain conditions can be perceived, especially when they don't necessarily impede our ability to drive. Anxiety, like you said, can actually make driving more stressful if anything.

First off, kudos to you for taking steps to get back on track. It's not easy, but you're doing the right thing by being proactive. Regarding your concerns, I totally understand why you'd be worried about them contacting your GP, especially with anxiety being a factor. It's frustrating how certain conditions can be perceived, especially when they don't necessarily impede our ability to drive. Anxiety, like you said, can actually make driving more stressful if anything.
From what I've gathered, the whole process seems to be more about ensuring safety rather than digging into every aspect of our medical history. As for egosyntonic and egodystonic behaviors, it's interesting how those concepts play into all of this. Anxiety can definitely fall into the egosyntonic category, where it's more aligned with our self-perception and doesn't necessarily feel like a problem. But then, the system might view it differently, which can be frustrating. In terms of aggression, especially egosyntonic aggression, I guess that's where it gets tricky. Like, our anxiety might not be aggressive in the traditional sense, but it can still be seen as a barrier. It's a shame when things like that potentially hinder our progress.

From what I've gathered, the whole process seems to be more about ensuring safety rather than digging into every aspect of our medical history. As for egosyntonic and egodystonic behaviors, it's interesting how those concepts play into all of this. Anxiety can definitely fall into the egosyntonic category, where it's more aligned with our self-perception and doesn't necessarily feel like a problem. But then, the system might view it differently, which can be frustrating. In terms of aggression, especially egosyntonic aggression, I guess that's where it gets tricky. Like, our anxiety might not be aggressive in the traditional sense, but it can still be seen as a barrier. It's a shame when things like that potentially hinder our progress.
The main reason, I'm lead to believe, for asking about anxiety and mental health in general, is because a lot of people self medicate with alcohol and/or other drugs. Someone with mental health issues are more likely to use alcohol as a means to self medicate, and vice versa (have mental health issues due to alcohol consumption, usually excessive alcohol consumption).

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off