DVLA MEDICAL....AFTER 10 DAYS DETOX/REHAB

Convicted Driver Insurance

dazadubs

Hi guys, hope you can advise me. In 2017 I got banned, blew 116...not good...(women problems)...I haven't reapplied for my licence yet but I have recently completed a 10 day detox/rehab at a centre in Bradford. I've been to my GP a couple of times since my ban because of my drinking, I did a 5 day detox in hospital last year, and completed the detox/rehab last Thursday. I am on propanalol for anxiety and mirtazipine for depression, (only small doses). I spoke to the nurse at rehab about getting my licence back and she advised me to leave it for a month and then apply and I should have no problem in getting it back. I'm going to start attending abstinence groups , online and gatherings, Should I be honest to the DVLA doctor or just say I've had no history of misuse or dependency? I've not touch a drop for 2 weeks now and I am not going to ever again, I'm done with it. The rehab nurse reckons I should tell them I've been in detox/rehab cos she thinks it shows that I've done something about it, and it will look good on me but I'm not too sure. I really really don't Wana wait another 12 months. Could I get away with not being totally honest with DVLA? The CDT levels will be within range

Thanks

Hi guys, hope you can advise me. In 2017 I got banned, blew 116...not good...(women problems)...I haven't reapplied for my licence yet but I have recently completed a 10 day detox/rehab at a centre in Bradford. I've been to my GP a couple of times since my ban because of my drinking, I did a 5 day detox in hospital last year, and completed the detox/rehab last Thursday. I am on propanalol for anxiety and mirtazipine for depression, (only small doses). I spoke to the nurse at rehab about getting my licence back and she advised me to leave it for a month and then apply and I should have no problem in getting it back. I'm going to start attending abstinence groups , online and gatherings, Should I be honest to the DVLA doctor or just say I've had no history of misuse or dependency? I've not touch a drop for 2 weeks now and I am not going to ever again, I'm done with it. The rehab nurse reckons I should tell them I've been in detox/rehab cos she thinks it shows that I've done something about it, and it will look good on me but I'm not too sure. I really really don't Wana wait another 12 months. Could I get away with not being totally honest with DVLA? The CDT levels will be within range

Thanks
Hi,,, not what you want to hear but being classed as an hro you will have to go through the dvla medical and there's a good chance your gp will be contacted so it will come up on their report,, dvla will definitely class you as dependent and will expect to see 12months abstinence before issuing your licence. To do this you will need to have your gp on board, record date of your last drink with them and have 3 to 4 lfts liver function tests over the next 12months,, there are currently huge delays and backlogs with dvla at the moment,,, I honestly wouldn't apply for at least another 10months otherwise they won't start the 12month period until you've gone through all the medical and gp reports and been refused... I sent my application 1st Nov 21 didn't have my medical until 31st March then they wrote to my gp because I ticked yes to mental health on the questionnaire,, on cytalopram for anxiety, now I'm still waiting for an outcome.. Honestly honestly honestly it will take even longer if you don't do your 12months first... Its a shity organisation but I've been a member on this forum since early January and learnt an awful lot in this time,,,, I'm worried I still will have to prove 12months abstinence as I have alcohol notes from 7yrs ago and only have 6months abstinence recorded with gp, but they won't include that time,,, 12months won't start until they send me the letter to tell me so... A lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum will back me up on this advice... Keep on here because it really is a huge help and support,,,, keep us posted best of luck..

Hi,,, not what you want to hear but being classed as an hro you will have to go through the dvla medical and there's a good chance your gp will be contacted so it will come up on their report,, dvla will definitely class you as dependent and will expect to see 12months abstinence before issuing your licence. To do this you will need to have your gp on board, record date of your last drink with them and have 3 to 4 lfts liver function tests over the next 12months,, there are currently huge delays and backlogs with dvla at the moment,,, I honestly wouldn't apply for at least another 10months otherwise they won't start the 12month period until you've gone through all the medical and gp reports and been refused... I sent my application 1st Nov 21 didn't have my medical until 31st March then they wrote to my gp because I ticked yes to mental health on the questionnaire,, on cytalopram for anxiety, now I'm still waiting for an outcome.. Honestly honestly honestly it will take even longer if you don't do your 12months first... Its a shity organisation but I've been a member on this forum since early January and learnt an awful lot in this time,,,, I'm worried I still will have to prove 12months abstinence as I have alcohol notes from 7yrs ago and only have 6months abstinence recorded with gp, but they won't include that time,,, 12months won't start until they send me the letter to tell me so... A lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum will back me up on this advice... Keep on here because it really is a huge help and support,,,, keep us posted best of luck..
Also I want to say a huge well done for addressing your struggle with alcohol,, just be careful to not let the stress of returning your licence get in the way of your sobriety,,..

Thanks
The medical questionnaire that has to be completed involves questions re alcohol misuse within the last 6 years , and mental health within the last 3 . I understand your anxiety / reservations and like the others poster think what you’ve achieved is great . However , to get round the above it wouldn’t be a matter of “ not being totally honest “…. You’d have to be completely dishonest and if you got caught out that could really complicate things for you. I really think honesty is the best policy .

If you lye on the medical questions and get found out you will be in serious trouble trying to regain your licence.

Hi Malina, are you saying that you have to get a letter from the DVLA to tell us when we need to start our 12 months abstinence ?

Hi Malina, I was classed as a HRO - I hadn't been the doctors in up until 2 years before my accident in 2018. After my accident I referred myself to an Alcohol Service as per social workers advice because my ex husband wanted to take my kids away from me and we were going through a divorce, he wanted the house as he had been trying to make me sell it since I through him out due to him assaulting me in which he was charged for. I was completely honest on my questionnaire said I drink on occasions and my CDT levels came back as 0.6%. But on my doctors questionnaire he put down I was dependant when Id never been the doctors in years never mind with any alcohol issues. I'd never even met the doctor whom completed the form. All because I referred my self to an alcohol service as per social services request and it was on my records I think my licence was declined. I even had a hair strand test done which came back negative and my CDT test was 0.06% to take to court with me. I generally think if I didn't refer myself to the alcohol service I might of got my licence back who knows? My doctor even said I hadn't had a drink in 3 years since 2018.....but how would he know as I'd never seen him? If I would of put on my questionnaire that I hadn't had a drink as per the doctors response would I of got my licence back? What does LFT's show? Can the results confirm when you last had a drink? What do they look for in LFT's? I thought LFT's show how much liver damage you have? Am just baffled about all the grey area's? Sorry to babble on but am so frustrated because I was honest in my questionnaire it feels like I've shot myself in the foot.

Based on your history, the DVlA will want to see you have been sober for a year before they issue your license. You can log your first date of sobriety with your GP. I did this and didn’t have LFTs etc as I only discovered this site a week or so before applying for my license. That was sufficient together with my CDT.

There is no point in lying on your questionnaire. You stand to lose more by doing so. Part of reapplying is showing we have changed from that someone who drove under the influence and honesty is integral to that.

Hi Malina, I was classed as a HRO - I hadn't been the doctors in up until 2 years before my accident in 2018. After my accident I referred myself to an Alcohol Service as per social workers advice because my ex husband wanted to take my kids away from me and we were going through a divorce, he wanted the house as he had been trying to make me sell it since I through him out due to him assaulting me in which he was charged for. I was completely honest on my questionnaire said I drink on occasions and my CDT levels came back as 0.6%. But on my doctors questionnaire he put down I was dependant when Id never been the doctors in years never mind with any alcohol issues. I'd never even met the doctor whom completed the form. All because I referred my self to an alcohol service as per social services request and it was on my records I think my licence was declined. I even had a hair strand test done which came back negative and my CDT test was 0.06% to take to court with me. I generally think if I didn't refer myself to the alcohol service I might of got my licence back who knows? My doctor even said I hadn't had a drink in 3 years since 2018.....but how would he know as I'd never seen him? If I would of put on my questionnaire that I hadn't had a drink as per the doctors response would I of got my licence back? What does LFT's show? Can the results confirm when you last had a drink? What do they look for in LFT's? I thought LFT's show how much liver damage you have? Am just baffled about all the grey area's? Sorry to babble on but am so frustrated because I was honest in my questionnaire it feels like I've shot myself in the foot.
Hi Paula,, yes it really is insane,, lfts don't show alcohol consumption I really don't understand how the dvla will only accept them as proof,, also yes how will your gp know if you've been drinking or not 🙉.. Lfts only really detect seriously heavy drinkers.. I think yes it was declined because you referred yourself and that comes under dependent with dvla and then admitting on your questionnaire you'd had a drink.. Never admit to any alcohol to the dvla especially when your classed as dependent... Like yourself and many people on here had I of known about all this I would have got 12months under my belt before applying.. I still don't know my out come,, am hoping as it was 7yrs ago and gp ticked no to everything else I'll be OK.. This waiting and not knowing is sending me absolutely bonkers.. Just look after yourself and keep in touch with your gp. ☺️

Hi Malina, are you saying that you have to get a letter from the DVLA to tell us when we need to start our 12 months abstinence ?
Yes I believe the 12months doesn't start until they send you the letter telling you so,, which is f....... D up given the current delays,, my ban finished 23rd Jan I'm still waiting on a decision,,,

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off