DVLA have released guidance for Covid-19 applications!

Convicted Driver Insurance
Does anyone know the deal with bans ending at the moment?

Mine finished yesterday and they received my paper application 5 weeks ago, although I see their absolute refusal to do anything with that.

I don't have to do any medical or re-test, the ban has finished and all they realistically need to do is officially put my £65 in their bank. I thought I would be able to drive whilst the application is in process, but it looks like they are preventing insurers from insuring me. Anyone have any idea here? Not sure you can or should be able to legitimately stop people driving after the ban if they have no hoops to jump through.

Any help much appreciated.
Hi ace,the dvla are not processing any paper applications at the moment,unless your a key worker.have you read up on driving under section 88

Hi ace,the dvla are not processing any paper applications at the moment,unless your a key worker.have you read up on driving under section 88
I have the section 88 seems to imply it's referring to certain situations, but based on the criteria I should be covered by it. Typically ambiguous.

Do you know if that covers?

All drug driving offences make you a HRO regardless of reading. Drug drivers have a mandatory medical which is a urine test, questionnaire, your GP is written to and some have been reporting on this forum that they also faced a CDT test to check if they had taken up drinking to replace drugs.
Hi where did you obtain that information from,about drug drivers being hro .i have phoned the dvla 3 times and spoke to 3 different people and am not classed as a hro and I don't need a medical.can you tell me where you got your information from please.

I have the section 88 seems to imply it's referring to certain situations, but based on the criteria I should be covered by it. Typically ambiguous.

Do you know if that covers?
Also look at INF188/6 on gov.dvla.....am also thinking about driving under section 88. Send a fresh application to the dvla photocopy your application and send it tracked delivery.not sure how your insurance will work out if you have a bang though.

Also look at INF188/6 on gov.dvla.....am also thinking about driving under section 88. Send a fresh application to the dvla photocopy your application and send it tracked delivery.not sure how your insurance will work out if you have a bang though.

I've got tracking showing that they received my application on 21st April signed for. I do not understand how they would be able to say I ma not allowed to drive if a ban is up and they did not mention any re-test or anything at court. That essentially means as soon as the date passes, you go back to where you left off.

My concern is my lack of trust in how governing bodies work. On paper looking at everything I think I am within my right to be driving, but could they come up with some theory about small print they had hidden behind a shed at the bottom of the garden?

I've got tracking showing that they received my application on 21st April signed for. I do not understand how they would be able to say I ma not allowed to drive if a ban is up and they did not mention any re-test or anything at court. That essentially means as soon as the date passes, you go back to where you left off.

My concern is my lack of trust in how governing bodies work. On paper looking at everything I think I am within my right to be driving, but could they come up with some theory about small print they had hidden behind a shed at the bottom of the garden?
They are not saying you cannot drive,but you have to prove to them and the police and insurance that you are within your right to drive,the dvla have not got the manpower to accept applications at the moment,

If you are applying for your licence back after a disqualification then you cannot use S88, that is explained in the leaflet; it is only for medical condition enquiries.
The reality is that until DVLA issue you with a licence, if you drive you will be driving without a valid licence and that will invalidate your insurance.

Last edited:
Is there anyone that actually knows for sure or not?

It seems mad that they would be allowed to prolong your ban, particularly after charging you to do a course to reduce it, and haven't come up with a temporary solution.

Would also be interesting to see what extent they've gone to to stay fully operational. Only thing I could think is data not being allowed to be accessed outside the building, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of businesses doing that right now.

I'm sure it must be stopping more people than just me from working at the moment.

Is there anyone that actually knows for sure or not?

It seems mad that they would be allowed to prolong your ban, particularly after charging you to do a course to reduce it, and haven't come up with a temporary solution.

Would also be interesting to see what extent they've gone to to stay fully operational. Only thing I could think is data not being allowed to be accessed outside the building, but I'm pretty sure there are plenty of businesses doing that right now.

I'm sure it must be stopping more people than just me from working at the moment.
People were due on course while lockdown is in place,they haven't been able to attend so they have to complete their full bans medical s are postponed for months,people are dying and unemployment is soaring,banned drivers are not a priority am afraid at the moment ace

Oakley,
Rather than read the leaflet on S88, have a look at the actual legislation which says that S88 does NOT apply after a disqualification:

2A)Subsection (1) above does not apply by virtue of an application mentioned in paragraph (b) of that subsection having been received by the Secretary of State if—

(a)the application was made as a result of, or in anticipation of, the expiry of a disqualification relevant to the licence applied for,

I understand what you're saying, but I'm still unclear on it for this kind of situation. There was never any point where I thought or was given any reason to think you needed anyone to say you can drive again. It has always been communicated as if you serve your ban, you apply for your licence back as means of them just giving you back the physical licence and off you go again.

I understand they have other priorities but I'm confused as to what I really need them for, this shouldn't be a case of taking anyone's time. They can just bank my £65 whenever they are ready. I don't need the physical licence until they're ready. It should just automatically update online that your ban has been served and you can drive again.

I understand what you're saying, but I'm still unclear on it for this kind of situation. There was never any point where I thought or was given any reason to think you needed anyone to say you can drive again. It has always been communicated as if you serve your ban, you apply for your licence back as means of them just giving you back the physical licence and off you go again.

I understand they have other priorities but I'm confused as to what I really need them for, this shouldn't be a case of taking anyone's time. They can just bank my £65 whenever they are ready. I don't need the physical licence until they're ready. It should just automatically update online that your ban has been served and you can drive again.

Oakley,

There is so much ambiguity around section 88. My understanding is that you are able to drive under it, as long as you are fit and well. Best advice I can give you is to complete the DVLA contact form on their website, explaining your situation. Put on it that your employment relies on your license (don’t worry too much about the key worker thing). I have used the form twice and received a call back both times. I am not a key worker, but do need to drive for my job. That way, you will get the correct answer from the correct people. I didn’t think I qualified for section 88 but thanks to the callback from the dvla I was told I did qualify.
Seriously, your best bet is to contact them this way. You will have your answer by end of the week at the very latest. Good luck

Oakley,
Rather than read the leaflet on S88, have a look at the actual legislation which says that S88 does NOT apply after a disqualification:

2A)Subsection (1) above does not apply by virtue of an application mentioned in paragraph (b) of that subsection having been received by the Secretary of State if—

(a)the application was made as a result of, or in anticipation of, the expiry of a disqualification relevant to the licence applied for,

I appreciate the info and for weeding it out for me. If only GDPR practices were applied to legislation it would be a bit easier to understand.

Oakley,

There is so much ambiguity around section 88. My understanding is that you are able to drive under it, as long as you are fit and well. Best advice I can give you is to complete the DVLA contact form on their website, explaining your situation. Put on it that your employment relies on your license (don’t worry too much about the key worker thing). I have used the form twice and received a call back both times. I am not a key worker, but do need to drive for my job. That way, you will get the correct answer from the correct people. I didn’t think I qualified for section 88 but thanks to the callback from the dvla I was told I did qualify.
Seriously, your best bet is to contact them this way. You will have your answer by end of the week at the very latest. Good luck

Thanks! I was hoping someone had experienced something with them. I'll give it a go. Expect the worst and hope for the best!

Was yours the same situation? Also, can't seem to find a 'contact form' for them. Just says critical workers e-mail.

Last edited:

I appreciate it can be confusing for people, after all you do not make a habit of applying for a licence back after a ban, do you? !!
it has always been the case that if your ban is for over 56 days you have to apply to get your licence back. Under 56 days, you just resume with the old licence. Some people do not apply for their licence back at the end of their ban, for various reasons.

Even people relying on the S88 procedure have to be careful, because it states that DVLA have to have received a FULL and COMPLETE application. Someone was asking on here a couple of days ago about the incorrect fee they had sent with their application. If they had then been relying on S88 and the application was returned because of a wrong amount, or perhaps because someone forgot to sign the form, then they have not complied with the requirements of S88 and, although driving in good faith, legally they would have been driving without a licence.

Hi where did you obtain that information from,about drug drivers being hro .i have phoned the dvla 3 times and spoke to 3 different people and am not classed as a hro and I don't need a medical.can you tell me where you got your information from please.

Neebob this has been the case for friends of mine through AA who have lost it for drug driving. But I am also in Northern Ireland were a few of our rules around bans are slightly different to the mainland so this could be another case of that. If the DVLA have confirmed that you're not HRO then happy days it'll just be a case of re-applying.

Be In no doubt that when the DVLA are up and running to their usual prehistoric capacity you will be subjected to a DVLA medical for drug driving, they will expect you to attend not one but more than likely two medicals where your urine will be screened to see if you are drug free and that you maintain to be drug free, on these medicals they may ask you to do a CDT test as well to check that if your not taking any drugs and that you haven't turned to the booze instead, you say "I've only the one offence" well it only takes one offence to seriously injure or kill someone in a drugged up state and therefore you should not of been driving, be under no illusion many drug drivers have past through this forum with a DVLA drug medical to look forward to, getting your licence back is not that easy with your conviction, you will need to meet all the DVLA standards with your current conviction and possibly be issued a one year temporary licence where DVLA can keep an eye on you for the next three years......you will need your GPs full support as to when you last took drugs so that he can clarify to the DVLA that you are drug free and continue to be drug free......you will need this medical evidence in obtaining a licence.....
Hello honest man where did you obtain this information from,I have phoned the dvla 4 times after reading this,and on each call I have been informed I won't be required to do any medical,my application is just a renewal.

Hi mate, what DVLA say and what they actually do are set to be seen, DVLA are historically renowned for ( I would say lying) but for arguments sake let's say they get it wrong time and time again (just as they did with me) if they have told you no medical is required then that's great news for you and for others and hopefully in the coming days your licence will be issued and I will stand corrected ,however every drug driver that's gone through this forum (and there hasn't been many)`has been required to attend a medical where they have been asked to provide a urine sample for analysis, I truly hope for your sake and for others who are following you are right `and this will give us hope for the future, do keep` us updated neebob.......you might find it harder to have your Hackney carriage licence replaced tho.....

Honest man is right, based on what we have seen on here, medicals are the norm up till now.
I didn’t get to see drug drivers on courses because there is no similar course for them as yet.
The chart below shows that for drug misuse (which all illegal drug convictions are counted as, say that “relicensing may require an independent medical assessment and urine screen arranged by the DVLA“. (Note that in the copy and paste, the top bits got moved to the left.... so car and motorcycle vehicle guidelines are the middle column, and bus and lorry drivers guidelines relate to the right hand column.

Group 1
Car and motorcycle
Group 2
Bus and lorry
Drug group

■ cannabis
■ amphetamines (but see methamphetamine drug group below)
■ ‘ecstasy’ (MDMA)
■ ketamine
■ other psychoactive substances, including LSD and hallucinogens
✘- Must not drive and must notify the DVLA with persistent misuse or dependence.

Medical enquiry confirming the problem will result in licence being refused or revoked:

■ for a minimum of 6 months, which must be free of misuse or dependence.

Relicensing may require an independent medical assessment and urine screen arranged by the DVLA.
✘- Must not drive and must notify the DVLA with persistent misuse or dependence.

Medical enquiry confirming the problem will result in licence being refused or revoked:

■ for a minimum of 1 year, which must be free of misuse or dependence.

Relicensing will usually require an independent medical assessment and urine screen arranged by the DVLA.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off