DVLA Forced Blood test Not HRO

Convicted Driver Insurance

benny

Hi-my licence was revoked last year by DVLA after a Consultant reported me for alcohol misuse. I appealed this to the Sherrif Court and undertook liver function tests which showed an "entirely" normal liver. This was within 2 weeks of my revocation and I also have no history of misuse on my medical records.(I had originally gone to A&E for an unrelated problem where I saw this consultant for the very first and last time. After some time and several visits to the Sherrif Court the DVLA offered me a 1 year licence (without prejudice) which I refused but eventually had to accept because of mounting solicitors costs and time off the road(my job was at stake). I'm informed that the DVLA require me to take further blood tests in December before deciding on which licence to issue. In effect, despite me supplying the DVLA with clean blood tests within 2 weeks of them revoking my licence and subsequent supportive letter from my own GP, I am now it seems being forced to take further tests despite no offence having being committed and a non HRO. Can they legally do this?

Best David

Dear David,

The short answer is 'Yes'.

A temporary driving licence is usually issued when alcohol dependency or misuse is uncertain; thereafter the driver has to submit to another DVLA medical examination after a one, two or three year period.

The responsibility for making the decision about whether or not a person should continue to drive is that of the DVLA, with the doctor(s) acting only as a source of information and advice. Your doctor's report is of assistance to you but the DVLA can insist upon a medical by their own appointed doctors.

Hopefully, this will be the last time you will have to endure a DVLA medical.

We trust that this information is useful.

Dear David,

A temporary driving licence is usually issued when alcohol dependency or misuse is uncertain; thereafter the driver has to submit to another DVLA medical examination after a one, two or three year period.

The responsibility for making the decision about whether or not a person should continue to drive is that of the DVLA, with the doctor(s) acting only as a source of information and advice. Your doctor's report is of assistance to you but the DVLA can insist upon a medical by their own appointed doctors.

Yes, many thanks for your prompt reply-The DVLA are a complete shambles. I provided them with normal liver tests, clean bill of health from my own GP-and guess what? The consultant I saw has his profile pic on Facebook (smoking from a bong!). I provided all this to DVLA at an early stage ( I even have a letter back from the GMC stating that the doctor in question did NOT follow best practice in notifying DVLA). Cost me well over 2k in fees etc and yet I still have to have blood taken again in a few months time. And then there's Charles Kennedy RIP, an alcoholic. Did the DVLA ever revoke his licence? They won't tell me. It is in the hands of the Information Commisioner as I write.

I don't trust DVLA one bit-when my medical is due I will get another blood test done privately.

Thanks again

Benny

Dear David,

I re read your reply. The point is I have never been for a medical requested by DVLA. I provided my own blood tests which were undertaken by my own GP and came back entirely normal. This was sent to DVLA. They offered me a one year licence "without prejudice" (this was going through the sherrif court at the time) which I refused and subsequently had to accept because of the time this was all taking and of course my solicitors fees heading Northwards. Now it seems I will be forced to take a DVLA test when my licence expires despite my "entirely normal" blood tests and Doctors report. Quite farcical. "confirmed by medical enquiry" is how a revocation is described in the "At A Glance". No medical enquiry was ever undertaken in my own case apart from me providing LFT's without request.

Benny

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off