DVLA confirmation from dependance to misuse

Convicted Driver Insurance

Honestman

Established Member
Hi guys haven't been on here for a while been busy with work etc since getting my licence back, did gate crash yesterday and got some information wrong as was rightly pointed out to me, however I wanted to share what has happened to me in my vacant time. For those of you who know me and the grilling I had from DVLA in order for me to obtain my car and motorcycle licence back, I am now on my second medical review licence (temporary licence) and hopefully next year my HGV will be reinstated having met the traffic commissioner, I do still supply liver function tests at a rate of two per year six months apart as my medical evidence to secure my next licence and my GP is more than happy to do this, (I'm not sure now though as they have stopped all routine blood tests as` most of you are aware) but here's the good news. In my past medical history relating to my alcohol intake my GP has labelled me dependendant all that being said and accepted but now DVLA have promoted me to misuse, meaning I can drink within the recommended government guidlines of 14 units per week, at each DVLA medical my answers are always the same (abstinate) and the doctor I see we are on friendly terms now having been through so many, but don't be fooled by DVLA thinking you can admit to a drink because the moment you do your licence will almost certainly be revoked, most folk tend to forget about the first letter they recieve claiming dependance and the warning that comes with it ( you must never take alcohol again) but two years down the line people forget, even what they've put at the DVLA medical which is a good idea to copy everything you fill in for DVLA, so for those of us who are labelled dependant and then downsized to misuse (looks good on paper though) be warned do not admit to taking alcohol in future DVLA medicals as you run the risk of your licence being revoked all over again....thanks all I'll keep you posted ......

Hi guys haven't been on here for a while been busy with work etc since getting my licence back, did gate crash yesterday and got some information wrong as was rightly pointed out to me, however I wanted to share what has happened to me in my vacant time. For those of you who know me and the grilling I had from DVLA in order for me to obtain my car and motorcycle licence back, I am now on my second medical review licence (temporary licence) and hopefully next year my HGV will be reinstated having met the traffic commissioner, I do still supply liver function tests at a rate of two per year six months apart as my medical evidence to secure my next licence and my GP is more than happy to do this, (I'm not sure now though as they have stopped all routine blood tests as` most of you are aware) but here's the good news. In my past medical history relating to my alcohol intake my GP has labelled me dependendant all that being said and accepted but now DVLA have promoted me to misuse, meaning I can drink within the recommended government guidlines of 14 units per week, at each DVLA medical my answers are always the same (abstinate) and the doctor I see we are on friendly terms now having been through so many, but don't be fooled by DVLA thinking you can admit to a drink because the moment you do your licence will almost certainly be revoked, most folk tend to forget about the first letter they recieve claiming dependance and the warning that comes with it ( you must never take alcohol again) but two years down the line people forget, even what they've put at the DVLA medical which is a good idea to copy everything you fill in for DVLA, so for those of us who are labelled dependant and then downsized to misuse (looks good on paper though) be warned do not admit to taking alcohol in future DVLA medicals as you run the risk of your licence being revoked all over again....thanks all I'll keep you posted ......
You’ve obviously made great progress . Fantastic. And as far as errors are concerned, I’m not sure what they were , but I’m always getting posts mixed up . You will have posted in good faith and that’s all that matters. Thanks gor sharing your info .

You’ve obviously made great progress . Fantastic. And as far as errors are concerned, I’m not sure what they were , but I’m always getting posts mixed up . You will have posted in good faith and that’s all that matters. Thanks gor sharing your info .
Your welcome glad I can help others where I once was thank you polly.....

I'm guessing here,if you can stick to 14 units a week,then just stop for a month before the medical and say nothing!
Do not open up a can of worms!

I'm guessing here,if you can stick to 14 units a week,then just stop for a month before the medical and say nothing!
Do not open up a can of worms!

Chrism2800

For any of us that is a HRO misuser/dependant, we must never declare any alcohol consumption on any DVLA documentation or any GP/NHS documentation.

As a 'misuser' or 'dependant' - if say you do have just one alcohol drink every blue moon, it can potentially have detrimental consequences if it is declared and the DVLA find out. For example, a toast at a wedding or a drop of brandy to help a cold can still cost you your licence if it is documented anywhere.

The biggest hurdle is passing the DVLA medicals. I would just suggest not consuming anything alcoholic full stop if you have a DVLA medical in X number of months.

It is a very tall order for the DVLA to enforce a zero tolerance on alcohol consumption for anyone unlucky enough to be a HRO (misuser or dependant). However, it is a robust system designed to reduce the risk of us being a danger on the road (again!).

The HRO process can last six years, however, I always feel the first year or two are the hardest as the DVLA have you under a microscope with annual medicals.

Once you do get say a three year licence, there is a time to maybe enjoying the occasional drink without feeling guilty, but as I say, until any of us are clear of the HRO system we cannot declare any alcohol consumption until we are at least clear of the six year process.

The DVLA are not Big Brother - therefore whatever any of us do in our private lives regarding alcohol activities is our own affair. However, all of us need to be mindful of not returning to bad habits (that cost us our licence in the first place) and ensuring our CDTs are nice and low when we do our respective medicals.

CJ

Hi honest man good to see you on here again, I to have been getting on with life and its now time for 2nd medical licence end of Oct officially. They sent me DD1 6-7 weeks ago, nothing back so far. My GP has retired and rode off on his BMW m/cycle! So I've only had 1 face to face with new guy on an unrelated matter at his request. I'm worried about his experience with matters relating to DVLA as to DD2 etc. Or lack of. Ideally I'd like to talk it through with him and sus him out. Short of face to face there must be some form of communication! I'll wait to hear from Swansea whenever that is.? Are this lot still contemplating further industrial action I wonder... As usual your 100% on the dependance/misuse trap scenario

Hi honest man good to see you on here again, I to have been getting on with life and its now time for 2nd medical licence end of Oct officially. They sent me DD1 6-7 weeks ago, nothing back so far. My GP has retired and rode off on his BMW m/cycle! So I've only had 1 face to face with new guy on an unrelated matter at his request. I'm worried about his experience with matters relating to DVLA as to DD2 etc. Or lack of. Ideally I'd like to talk it through with him and sus him out. Short of face to face there must be some form of communication! I'll wait to hear from d thSwansea whenever that is.? Are this lot still contemplating further industrial action I wonder... As usual your 100% on the dependance/misuse trap scenario
Why not make an appointment to see the new Dr before the time comes for him to form fill etc ? You might find this puts your mind at rest . Lots of GPS are riding off into the sunset . Same at my practice, and the new bunch are great .

Why not make an appointment to see the new Dr before the time comes for him to form fill etc ? You might find this puts your mind at rest . Lots of GPS are riding off into the sunset . Same at my practice, and the new bunch are great .
Yes thanks Polly I will reach out to the practice

Hi honest man good to see you on here again, I to have been getting on with life and its now time for 2nd medical licence end of Oct officially. They sent me DD1 6-7 weeks ago, nothing back so far. My GP has retired and rode off on his BMW m/cycle! So I've only had 1 face to face with new guy on an unrelated matter at his request. I'm worried about his experience with matters relating to DVLA as to DD2 etc. Or lack of. Ideally I'd like to talk it through with him and sus him out. Short of face to face there must be some form of communication! I'll wait to hear from Swansea whenever that is.? Are this lot still contemplating further industrial action I wonder... As usual your 100% on the dependance/misuse trap scenario
Hi Arron nice to see you getting on with life, just as we should be, yes the change of GP is always a worry certainly when it comes to the DD2, however you can have a telephone conversation regarding your next licence and the important `part to document is the" last alcoholic drink date" this then can be documented into your notes as I'm sure you are aware, just to mention you can track the DD2 when it arrives at your GPs and you can contact the GPs secretary and have he/she forward it to a GP of your choice removing the fear factor that it could end up in the wrong hands ......I always do this so I am in control of where my paperwork lands ....

Hi Arron nice to see you getting on with life, just as we should be, yes the change of GP is always a worry certainly when it comes to the DD2, however you can have a telephone conversation regarding your next licence and the important `part to document is the" last alcoholic drink date" this then can be documented into your notes as I'm sure you are aware, just to mention you can track the DD2 when it arrives at your GPs and you can contact the GPs secretary and have he/she forward it to a GP of your choice removing the fear factor that it could end up in the wrong hands ......I always do this so I am in control of where my paperwork lands ....
Hi Honestman I phoned dvla and got through!! They informed me DD1 received and is in the "Queue with medical section" I was quite surprised given the time scales but relieved also. So waiting game again but at least there's Sect88 which the call handler confirmed. Thanks for your reply/input Aron.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off