DUI whilst on holiday in Spain

Convicted Driver Insurance

JDBUK

Hi guys,

I’ve seen some posts which are dated back to 2013 regarding DUI’s in Spain but I’m looking for any potential advice regarding present day.

I was involved in a collision after stupidly going the British way around a Spanish roundabout. I stopped after realising, put on my hazards and went to turn it around as a car flew into the side of me.

I was breathalysed when the authorities arrived and blew .73mg in Breath. I complied fully and handed my driving licence over for the Guarda Civil to take my details after signing the paperwork and they let walk home (everyone has said this is very strange).

In my eyes, I should of been arrested there and then, detained and sent to court which is what I was expecting.

I have contacted a Spanish solicitor before I returned to the UK as I did not want to get into anymore trouble or to be seen as fleeing the country (I was in Spain on holiday).

My solicitor has said I will probably be summoned to the Spanish courts and have to pay fines and damages.

My questions are…Has anyone been in a similar incident lately? Will I still be allowed to drive in the UK after court? Should I be sorting my affairs in the UK incase I am to receive a jail sentence (I’m self employed).

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.

Others will be able to advise about what sentence you may get, but a ban in Spain won't mean a ban in the UK

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off