DUI in France: what are the consequences in the UK?

Convicted Driver Insurance

robfleck

Hi,

I am a UK resident with a UK driving license. I was caught drink driving in France and have been banned from driving on french soil for 8 months. I am awaiting the conviction from the judge which is likely to be a hefty fine and no jail time due to it being my first offence.

I wanted to know if this will affect me driving in France and if I will need to declare this to my UK insurance company.

Many thanks for any help of advice you may have.

Rob

Hi,

I am a UK resident with a UK driving license. I was caught drink driving in France and have been banned from driving on french soil for 8 months. I am awaiting the conviction from the judge which is likely to be a hefty fine and no jail time due to it being my first offence.

I wanted to know if this will affect me driving in France and if I will need to declare this to my UK insurance company.

Rob
That's a tricky one, my thoughts were, that whilst we WERE in Europe we only really had a reciprocal agreement with one other country for driving offences etc. And that was N.Ireland.
Sorry I can't be of more help. But I'll watch this with interest. I think Google may be able to help.

Hi,

Rob
You will not be able to drive in france during the ban it will not affect you driving in the uk

That's a tricky one, my thoughts were, that whilst we WERE in Europe we only really had a reciprocal agreement with one other country for driving offences etc. And that was N.Ireland.
Sorry I can't be of more help. But I'll watch this with interest. I think Google may be able to help.
The reciprocal arrangement is with the Republic of Ireland. A ban in the UK includes Northern Ireland, it being part of the UK and all. I think the Isle of Man is also included in the UK/ROI arrangement.

To answer the question, a French ban doesn't impact on your ability to drive in the UK or use your UK licence to drive elsewhere...except for France and possibly her dependent territories across the globe.

The reciprocal arrangement is with the Republic of Ireland. A ban in the UK includes Northern Ireland, it being part of the UK and all. I think the Isle of Man is also included in the UK/ROI arrangement.

To answer the question, a French ban doesn't impact on your ability to drive in the UK or use your UK licence to drive elsewhere...except for France and possibly her dependent territories across the globe.
Apologies I meant the Republic of Ireland. And I'm sure although we have no reciprocal agreements, it would be up to the host nation to decide whether you could drive or not. Germany has a slightly different policy, which isn't exactly relevant for the op's question. But say you have a vocational entitlement on your licence ie..HGV Germany will take away your car licence, but not your capability to earn. So leave you with vocational entitlement. Assuming it is your own vehicle you have transgressed in.

Many thanks for your response. And do you think this is something I need to declare with my UK insurance company?

Many thanks. Do you know if I will need to declare the DUI with my UK insurance company?
Now that's an interesting and difficult question. My answer to that would be, have a look at your driving licence at the dvla site. If the offence is registered on there, then maybe seek advice as to whether or not to disclose. But if its not registered on your UK driving record at DVLA is say absolutely not disclose it.
Just my thoughts

Hi,

Rob
Had similar in Germany, UK did not hear a peep about it and I never volunteered.
Got €500 fine and 12m ban, they asked me to post my driving license to them ! ;)

Had similar in Germany, UK did not hear a peep about it and I never volunteered.
Got €500 fine and 12m ban, they asked me to post my driving license to them ! ;)
Thanks for your reply. Was yours post Brexit? And did you mention anything to your UK car insurance? I need to renew soon and want to know if I need to declare it as if I have to and don't the cover will be void.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off