Due licence back June 2020

Convicted Driver Insurance

Monty9926

Hi all, new member here.

I'll just be Frank, got caught when I was 18 (now 29) I got caught once for fail to provide in march 3 years ago and again for dr10 in June 21st which was the convicted date. So I'm due my licence back June 21st but I know I'm a hro. I'm counting down the days to 90 days before which is less than a month away. How does it work with medicals and the like in this time? I can't find a definitive answer on here but I see about crt tests etc? I assume on the 90th day I'll get the letter from dvla which I send back then I'll expect a medical? Now covid restrictions are easing (apparently) are more medicals being processed? And I see it needs to be 2-4weeks clean from no drinking? I don't smoke cannabis anymore and havent for a 2 weeks. Just looking for a guide if possible what I need to do as best advice I've seen is here. Many thanks!

DVLA might send you a D27 form to apply for your licence back 90 days before the ban is up, but don’t rely on it. Get a D1 form from the post office to be ready to apply at that point (the forms are identical)
What the medical entails from a blood sample perspective is a test for CDT. You say to abstain for 2-4 weeks.... well it depends on the individual. In tgheory it is not even necessary to abstain, just drink within the governments 14 units per week recommendation, spread out over the week BUT, if I was in your position I would abstain from now until the medical to be completely sure. You LIKE a drink, you NEED your licence back. Sure, you can keep drinking for a while but leaving it till the last minute and praying for success will just increase your stress levels!
Have you got anything on your GP’s records that might prove to be awkward if they check with him / her?

Edit! Licence due back this year 2021!
How do Monty 👍 I'll not go into to too much detail as its pointless and those that do only shit you up.. I lost my licence in 2017 for 24 months, DR10, 98 reading, night in the cells, day in court, the whole shebang! (not reckless or speeding, went into the garage for some food and a copper smelt alcohol so got me leaving the shop. Served the 24 month, no silly courses to shorten it as I live near work and had no real need for a car/licence. Anyway, I re applied, had to do a hro medical. I drink every other day, only fosters and 4 to 6 cans each time. I changed nothing before the medical, had 8 on the Wednesday and the medical was Saturday, I passed easily, CDT reading of 1.6 I'm 6'5" and athletic though, have a fast metabolism. Just do what you think you need to and don't be bullied by the dvla scare Mongering..

How do Monty 👍 I'll not go into to too much detail as its pointless and those that do only shit you up.. I lost my licence in 2017 for 24 months, DR10, 98 reading, night in the cells, day in court, the whole shebang! (not reckless or speeding, went into the garage for some food and a copper smelt alcohol so got me leaving the shop. Served the 24 month, no silly courses to shorten it as I live near work and had no real need for a car/licence. Anyway, I re applied, had to do a hro medical. I drink every other day, only fosters and 4 to 6 cans each time. I changed nothing before the medical, had 8 on the Wednesday and the medical was Saturday, I passed easily, CDT reading of 1.6 I'm 6'5" and athletic though, have a fast metabolism. Just do what you think you need to and don't be bullied by the dvla scare Mongering..
You have to be careful before you use your own experience of one event to then spout about “don't be bullied by the dvla scare Mongering..”. The person posting this thread has 2 convictions in a short period of time so will be treated differently than your experience, and a reading of 1.6% CDT these days is highly likely to trigger GP enquiries, not an ‘easy pass’ as their criteria has changed.

And here you/they are, talking rubbish,!! I listened/read all these forum posts, it's a black hole of probably bored people who just like to mess with people. I chose to ignore all of your whimsical jargon, mostly from the NHS website on CDT levels.. Copy and paste much? Anyway I've my full licence back so no need to be here, certainly not replying to you, the problem.. Chiao

And here you/they are, talking rubbish,!! I listened/read all these forum posts, it's a black hole of probably bored people who just like to mess with people. I chose to ignore all of your whimsical jargon, mostly from the NHS website on CDT levels.. Copy and paste much? Anyway I've my full licence back so no need to be here, certainly not replying to you, the problem.. Chiao
I bet you don't wear a mask do you? No, thought not.... You are one of the most dangerous types of people in society, you scrape by life by the skin of your teeth and just ignore the information around you. I can bet that you will almost certainly be caught drink driving again in the near future, because you know best!!!!!

Drinking constantly and then 8 cans a few days before a medical isn't something to try and promote, it isn't scare mongering to advise against this, it's common sense...

The people who contribute regularly on this forum have knowledge and experience, so if you have the choice of listening to them or some dim know-it-all flat earth society chancer who lied to get through the system (I'm pretty sure you would not have your licence back @76Cortina if you had been truthful about your drinking habits on the questionnaire), I know which I'd trust!

DVLA might send you a D27 form to apply for your licence back 90 days before the ban is up, but don’t rely on it. Get a D1 form from the post office to be ready to apply at that point (the forms are identical)
What the medical entails from a blood sample perspective is a test for CDT. You say to abstain for 2-4 weeks.... well it depends on the individual. In tgheory it is not even necessary to abstain, just drink within the governments 14 units per week recommendation, spread out over the week BUT, if I was in your position I would abstain from now until the medical to be completely sure. You LIKE a drink, you NEED your licence back. Sure, you can keep drinking for a while but leaving it till the last minute and praying for success will just increase your stress levels!
Have you got anything on your GP’s records that might prove to be awkward if they check with him / her?
Hi mate, I've spoken to the doctors and they went through my records with me, I went into a private detox clinic in June and they have that I successfully completed and left on June 15th, my ban is up on the 21st, will that go in my favour or against? I'm also just in the process of filling out my D1 form, I'm stuck on the questions where it says "have you ever had or currently suffer with any of the following conditions - persistent alcohol misuse or dependence"? Should I say yes or no? 🤔 If anyone on here who has been in a similar situation advise? My last two convictions were for fail to provide and then when I did provide (as was caught 6 weeks later too) I only tested positive for cannabis. As it will be over a year when I get my licence back I've been clean, the receptionist (couldn't speak to my GP for two weeks and the receptionist isn't the best to advise) said I should be okay as it's over a year. Just need some clarification what to put in the box 😩

Cheers all!

Hi mate, I've spoken to the doctors and they went through my records with me, I went into a private detox clinic in June and they have that I successfully completed and left on June 15th, my ban is up on the 21st, will that go in my favour or against? I'm also just in the process of filling out my D1 form, I'm stuck on the questions where it says "have you ever had or currently suffer with any of the following conditions - persistent alcohol misuse or dependence"? Should I say yes or no? 🤔 If anyone on here who has been in a similar situation advise? My last two convictions were for fail to provide and then when I did provide (as was caught 6 weeks later too) I only tested positive for cannabis. As it will be over a year when I get my licence back I've been clean, the receptionist (couldn't speak to my GP for two weeks and the receptionist isn't the best to advise) said I should be okay as it's over a year. Just need some clarification what to put in the box 😩

Cheers all!
"have you ever had" - is a YES answer mate even if it was 10 years ago!. They will find out when they check with your GP anyway. Saying no will cause you huge problems later on.

Agree with Paul W, Because you have been done for ‘fail to provide‘ (twice!) and drugs it is certain that they WILL check with your GP. If you left detox on 15th June, you will not be eligible to get your licence back before 15th June this year.
If you submit your application now, as you seem to be getting ready to, and they process it with any degree of speed with a medical in April / May then they would refuse your licence back. You would have to wait months to resubmit your application!
I would suggest that you gather some evidence that you have been alcohol free since 15th June. because you will be classed as ‘alcohol dependent’ (detox makes this inevitable) you will have to satisfy DVLA that you have not drunk alcohol in the past 12 months. You should ask your GP to do a Liver Function Test for you now, and again just before your ban is up.
I fear you will not be getting your licence back on 21st June....... it will take longer than that.

Hi! I have my D1 form from the post office and I’m filling it in (as the DVLA haven’t sent my a form yet and my ban is due to end June 1st), do I need to enclose a cheque that covers the medical too? Or just the £90 at this stage? If for the medical - how much is it? Thank you so much

You just send the £90 for the licence renewal application. Later, you pay the doctors surgery direct. It is about £96, but some add VAT on top of that.

Agree with Paul W, Because you have been done for ‘fail to provide‘ (twice!) and drugs it is certain that they WILL check with your GP. If you left detox on 15th June, you will not be eligible to get your licence back before 15th June this year.
If you submit your application now, as you seem to be getting ready to, and they process it with any degree of speed with a medical in April / May then they would refuse your licence back. You would have to wait months to resubmit your application!
I would suggest that you gather some evidence that you have been alcohol free since 15th June. because you will be classed as ‘alcohol dependent’ (detox makes this inevitable) you will have to satisfy DVLA that you have not drunk alcohol in the past 12 months. You should ask your GP to do a Liver Function Test for you now, and again just before your ban is up.
I fear you will not be getting your licence back on 21st June....... it will take longer than that.

I've been and got a private cdt test and just need to go have that done up at Salisbury hospital, then I'm going to ask my gp to do one again in the next month or two, I've said my ban is up on the 21st of June which is after the 15th of June, so I'm not expecting it back before my ban is up? I'm also going to send my gp an email as it's nigh impossible to get an appointment detailing all this, I wasn't alcohol dependant, I went in for the therapy side of it with alcohol and also to drop the cannabis as that's what I was banned for this last time but they've just classed it as alcohol on the gp records. I think you should re read what I've actually wrote, I was banned for drink driving in 2011, then was banned for fail to provide in April 2018 and then banned again 6 weeks later for over the limit for cannabis. I'm not submitting to get my licence back until the 90 days which is 10 days away.

Monty9926,
I did read what you wrote, but I don’t think you understand the process. So you apply in 10 days time, and in, say, 6 weeks you have a medical. when DVLA look at the result of the medical, they will be looking for 12 months alcohol free. You cannot show that in early May. They do not say “OK, you will be 12 months alcohol free in 6 weeks, so you can have your licence then, they say ” your application is refused because you cannot demonstrate being 12 months alcohol free at this time.” You will then have to re apply when you can demonstrate being alcohol free for 12 months and this will again take time. That is why I said you will not be getting your licence back on 21st June.
As far as DVLA are concerned, the reasons for detox do not matter to them, if someone has been in detox, they look for them to be alcohol free for 12 months from the date it ended.
Now you have to guess at the progress DVLA will make with your application. You need to submit it at a time when they will have time to process it, you have your medical and at the time they look at the results (which may well be after they have written to your GP) you can demonstrate 12 months alcohol free.
If the timing was perfect to the day, and they looked to decide your fate on the 15th June then I agree, it is conceivable that you will get your licence back on 21st June, but that is a big leap of faith and that is why I said I did not think you would get your licence back on the 21st June.
I am not trying to put a downer on you applying, just trying to give you a realistic view on how this will pan out, rather than you making any firm plans that you WILL be driving on 21st June.

I've been and got a private cdt test and just need to go have that done up at Salisbury hospital, then I'm going to ask my gp to do one again in the next month or two, I've said my ban is up on the 21st of June which is after the 15th of June, so I'm not expecting it back before my ban is up? I'm also going to send my gp an email as it's nigh impossible to get an appointment detailing all this, I wasn't alcohol dependant, I went in for the therapy side of it with alcohol and also to drop the cannabis as that's what I was banned for this last time but they've just classed it as alcohol on the gp records. I think you should re read what I've actually wrote, I was banned for drink driving in 2011, then was banned for fail to provide in April 2018 and then banned again 6 weeks later for over the limit for cannabis. I'm not submitting to get my licence back until the 90 days which is 10 days away.
Your private CDT is fine for your own peace of mind, however it is of no use whatsoever in your application. Your GP will not do a CDT test for you in the next month or so, most GP's do not even know what a CDT is!!! You can ask your GP to carry out an LFT to document your liver health, however generally to be of use you need a couple at least over a period of time to show your parameters are either within 'normal' range or at least going in the right direction.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off