Drug misuse / dependence question

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jasr791

Hi, I’m just wondering whether anyone has any experiences with drug history and the dvla medical. I said to my doctor 2 years ago that I used cocaine weekly (should have clarified this was only for a period of about 6 weeks but I didn’t) and ended up in hospital because of it. I had 2 follow ups with my GP over the 2 months after and said I haven’t touched drugs since and my medical notes say this. Didn’t do a drug test at the time though.

My dvla medical urine test will come back negative as I have stuck to no drugs but I was wondering does anyone have any idea if my past history will be classed as drug misuse or even dependency?

I know no one can give me definite answers and I know there’s a lot of other information the dvla consider, but based on this does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

I informed DVLA on the medical form that I had used cannabis for approximately a six week period and it was classed as persistant drug misuse.As a result I had to go through the usual medical processes.
So it may well be the same in your case.
I had not been tested at roadside, arrested or convicted of any offence, I was simply answering the form truthfully.

If you've mentioned it to your GP, and or DVLA, it's called "a duty of care", your GP may be straight up front and tell you, but he CAN NOT omit the fact you had a binge on the Coke, also be truthful to yourself, if ya staying abstinent waiting like we are since Dec your gonna be clean, don't screw it up and think ill be OK, for all anyone knows from 21st the back log could start moving, and seriously forget Detox drinks, Any drug is dependant on the individual, eg if your young, fit, active, go the gym, you could metabolise it fast time, but I've known someone be positive for Crack cocaine after a weekend and was positive over 1 month and several days, she seriously was very lucky as DVLA screens aren't "dip in, dip out", they are sent to the lab... Goodluck m8

What are "the usual medical processes"?
I'm in a similar situation.
I had my medical a month ago but I'm expecting to be contacted for a urine sample.
My ban was up 6 months ago now and I'm getting annoyed at the inefficiency of the system. I've done the crime and done my time. Why the extra punishment?

I had my medical a month ago but I'm expecting to be contacted for a urine sample.
My ban was up 6 months ago now and I'm getting annoyed at the inefficiency of the system. I've done the crime and done my time. Why the extra punishment?
I think everyone is sailing in your boat m8, it's a waiting game, but I do actually agree with DVLA and the industrial action, they aren't as many people think *cival servants*, The Gov. UK does make you think it is, but if you worked for your company, 6000 staff and 10% had died in this awful pandemic, which they have, over 580plus DVLA workers through lack of social distancing etc,,,,, I know I'd be by the Oil drum and fire 🙄,,, then there's the other side which is annoying where eg for Web chat, you don't really wanna click your a Critical worker, yet I did, did it get me through,,, No,,, I just am like I'm seeing 99.9% are on a waiting game,,, but ask yourself this,,,, We are HRO,,, if a brown envelope pops through your door today, and it is telling you to Book your Screen or medical within 6 weeks, do you think they'd not actually question you, but mmmm, if I had any drugs or booze on my medical notes at my GPs as a Past problem then I'm pretty sure for us that are desperate for medicals, we will be taking one as fast as, not 5 weeks after to allow possible substances or CDT levels to fall!!!!! Again, don't stress too much there either, because a lot aren't working, so if you have part to pay out towards your screen and you got a bad month of bills, then they come 1st, it's all Ifs N Buts sadly,,,,, I mean if it doesn't by the 21st June ease, something surely by the Govt will happen, people are loosing homes, and if you drive for your work then these Banks are now on the collect, so the DWP working or not, their pots are bare.... Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞🤞anytime soon, but I know I'd stay100 percent as a couple or three Shandies, but no Jamaican Woodbines 😅😅😅

I think everyone is sailing in your boat m8, it's a waiting game, but I do actually agree with DVLA and the industrial action, they aren't as many people think *cival servants*, The Gov. UK does make you think it is, but if you worked for your company, 6000 staff and 10% had died in this awful pandemic, which they have, over 580plus DVLA workers through lack of social distancing etc,,,,, I know I'd be by the Oil drum and fire 🙄,,, then there's the other side which is annoying where eg for Web chat, you don't really wanna click your a Critical worker, yet I did, did it get me through,,, No,,, I just am like I'm seeing 99.9% are on a waiting game,,, but ask yourself this,,,, We are HRO,,, if a brown envelope pops through your door today, and it is telling you to Book your Screen or medical within 6 weeks, do you think they'd not actually question you, but mmmm, if I had any drugs or booze on my medical notes at my GPs as a Past problem then I'm pretty sure for us that are desperate for medicals, we will be taking one as fast as, not 5 weeks after to allow possible substances or CDT levels to fall!!!!! Again, don't stress too much there either, because a lot aren't working, so if you have part to pay out towards your screen and you got a bad month of bills, then they come 1st, it's all Ifs N Buts sadly,,,,, I mean if it doesn't by the 21st June ease, something surely by the Govt will happen, people are loosing homes, and if you drive for your work then these Banks are now on the collect, so the DWP working or not, their pots are bare.... Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞🤞anytime soon, but I know I'd stay100 percent as a couple or three Shandies, but no Jamaican Woodbines 😅😅😅
I understand your sentiments, but just out of correcting mistruths, 10% of the staff at DVLA Swansea have caught Covid, they haven't died....

I understand your sentiments, but just out of correcting mistruths, 10% of the staff at DVLA Swansea have caught Covid, they haven't died....
Sorry, it was an error, and thank god it was, I think I tend to read a story and want to pass the ending on before finishing, so thank goodness its a prologue error,,, A bit of news, I as I said would keep a timescale have actually had a kind email from DVLA, it won't disclose my Drivers number nor will they discuss medical matters via electronic mail, ( see I've only owned a photo license for 1 hour, back in 2001 when there were so many HRO offenders receiving a license instead of a letter to proceed to phase 2 and book the Medical, as much as I'd loved it to have been a Court Blip, I rang and sent it back the same day, so I've from 17 yoa only had a Paper Provisional then Full, which was the last I saw of it at our local Magistrates 🙄 But the guy has at least given me a Reference /application number, Sat 15th May I sent my D1, D27, so 3 WEEKS 4 Days guys N ladies, pretty good imo, I feel better than I did yesterday being in limbo,,, keep you posted, and apologies to anyone regards my over eager wrong info at DVLA

Sorry, it was an error, and thank god it was, I think I tend to read a story and want to pass the ending on before finishing, so thank goodness its a prologue error,,, A bit of news, I as I said would keep a timescale have actually had a kind email from DVLA, it won't disclose my Drivers number nor will they discuss medical matters via electronic mail, ( see I've only owned a photo license for 1 hour, back in 2001 when there were so many HRO offenders receiving a license instead of a letter to proceed to phase 2 and book the Medical, as much as I'd loved it to have been a Court Blip, I rang and sent it back the same day, so I've from 17 yoa only had a Paper Provisional then Full, which was the last I saw of it at our local Magistrates 🙄 But the guy has at least given me a Reference /application number, Sat 15th May I sent my D1, D27, so 3 WEEKS 4 Days guys N ladies, pretty good imo, I feel better than I did yesterday being in limbo,,, keep you posted, and apologies to anyone regards my over eager wrong info at DVLA
Dont worry . I’m glad you’ve had a communication from them. I’m not really sure why they have that email address as they always say « can’t discuss / share info » . We wouldn’t contact them if we didn’t need info !!!!

Hi... "usual medical processes" as far as my experiences are.
DVLA requested medical (which you have done). What I do not understand is why your urine test was not done at the same time as your medical.I was told by testing staff that they only carry out what DVLA direct them to do in the letter they receive from DVLA about you. In my case no actual physical medical or check for alcohol etc and I only had to do a urine test - no questions asked by DVLA doctor about anything except cannabis use.
Anyway -
Urine test which is sent to lab for GCMS test which is tested for a multitude of substances, over 20 afaicr.
After passing urine test then:
Letter then sent to you (me) which still asks for "proof of abstinence" for the past 6 months. I called medical line and they could not tell me how this could actually be done. The best they could suggest was to have my GP call their doctor and they could perhaps agree on something.
GP did this and both he and DVLA doctor agreed to further urine test to be sent to lab for GCMS testing.
Test passed.
Fully completed and correct licence application paperwork and GP provided letter stating no evidence of drugs found and copy of recent GCMS lab test sent to DVLA as requested by DVLA doctor and medical team.
The bit below tells my experience but I would imagine has also happened to others.
All paperwork returned to me three weeks later with letter saying application rejected and they could not process as I did not provide the evidence they were looking for. Call made to very cheeky and impenetrable case manager who refused to look into this further despite my explanation that GP discussion with DVLA doctor and subsequent drug test was what was agreed by DVLA doctor as the evidence they were looking for and I had been told to do by their staff. I discovered via another call to the medical line that the doctor "must have forgot" to put on my notes that he had spoken to my GP and that the urine test was the evidence they needed.so there was no record of this and therefore my whole application was rejected.
I had to completely reapply from scratch.
Further wait for medical etc.
Further urine test.
So nor
Dont worry . I’m glad you’ve had a communication from them. I’m not really sure why they have that email address as they always say « can’t discuss / share info » . We wouldn’t contact them if we didn’t need info !!!!
From memory they will not send medical details via ordinary email as this is not considered a secure system.

DVLA requested medical (which you have done). What I do not understand is why your urine test was not done at the same time as your medical.I was told by testing staff that they only carry out what DVLA direct them to do in the letter they receive from DVLA about you. In my case no actual physical medical or check for alcohol etc and I only had to do a urine test - no questions asked by DVLA doctor about anything except cannabis use.
Anyway -
Urine test which is sent to lab for GCMS test which is tested for a multitude of substances, over 20 afaicr.
Letter then sent to you (me) which still asks for "proof of abstinence" for the past 6 months. I called medical line and they could not tell me how this could actually be done. The best they could suggest was to have my GP call their doctor and they could perhaps agree on something.
GP did this and both he and DVLA doctor agreed to further urine test to be sent to lab for GCMS testing.
Test passed.
Fully completed and correct licence application paperwork and GP provided letter stating no evidence of drugs found and copy of recent GCMS lab test sent to DVLA as requested by DVLA doctor and medical team.
The bit below tells my experience but I would imagine has also happened to others.
All paperwork returned to me three weeks later with letter saying application rejected and they could not process as I did not provide the evidence they were looking for. Call made to very cheeky and impenetrable case manager who refused to look into this further despite my explanation that GP discussion with DVLA doctor and subsequent drug test was what was agreed by DVLA doctor as the evidence they were looking for and I had been told to do by their staff. I discovered via another call to the medical line that the doctor "must have forgot" to put on my notes that he had spoken to my GP and that the urine test was the evidence they needed.so there was no record of this and therefore my whole application was rejected.
Further urine test.
So nor

From memory they will not send medical details via ordinary email as this is not considered a secure system.
Anyway -
Test passed.
Further urine test.
So nor

From memory they will not send medical details via ordinary email as this is not considered a
Anyway -
Test passed.
Further urine test.
So nor

From memory they will not send medical details via ordinary email as this is not considered a
Anyway -
Test passed.
Further urine test.
So nor

You couldn’t make it up could you ? How the DVLA might begin to justify themselves is beyond me . I’m really pleased that the original poster received an email that he found helpful. I’ve never had anything from them. Does anyone work there ? Even when they’re not on strike ? It would easier ( and probably more satisfactory) to penetrate the Kremlin

Because online there's an email address to the medical dept, but within 2 minutes it said as you enter text, *This is not a general area,, this is for Health are professionals only * so that's how I got an email, it was a Botnet, ( Definition, A Botnet is a chain or link of computers that are either used maliciously or otherwise as an automated resource line for etc etc,,, hope that's put you right?????

Anyway guy, update, just recieved all my original documentation saying that it's now with the medical dept who may do health checks, which OK, no problem, but I'm happy as the timescale is doing so well considering Its only, ain't got my diary to hand, but less than 28 days from sending my forms,,,,,,, so I'll keep you posted, next step, may take longer, it's taken 3 weeks get a prescription for asthma and I've had it 55 years,,,,,, ✌️🙏 peace

I'm just keeping up to date as I ponder the reality of being 20 months into a 13 month ban. I did the drink drive awareness course losing 3 days wages and the cost of the course obviously. If they had told me I needn't bother because the dvla would neglect to send me a d27, neglect to tell me what being hro entailed. Neglect to allow me to uphold my end of the deal and book appointments, as in the medical. And now I'm in limbo with Jo idea wether my medical even happened? Or was it just my imagination? You would imagine there would be at least an automated email saying they acknowledge my recent presence at my dvla medical and blah blah, waiting time blah blah. If no response.... Blah blah. Instead you get nothing. I realise this is just venting. Preaching to the converted as such.
Is there nothing we can do? Our entire lives on hold post punishment. Another hidden punishment tacked on. Am I annoyed? Yes. I'm trying to take it in my stride but it's bugging me yeah I get it I made a mistake, I got tried it in court and got punished. I get it. A global pandemic made life shit for everyone. Including me.
Solution. Give out 1 year licences and do all this when the dvla hire enough staff.

I'm just keeping up to date as I ponder the reality of being 20 months into a 13 month ban. I did the drink drive awareness course losing 3 days wages and the cost of the course obviously. If they had told me I needn't bother because the dvla would neglect to send me a d27, neglect to tell me what being hro entailed. Neglect to allow me to uphold my end of the deal and book appointments, as in the medical. And now I'm in limbo with Jo idea wether my medical even happened? Or was it just my imagination? You would imagine there would be at least an automated email saying they acknowledge my recent presence at my dvla medical and blah blah, waiting time blah blah. If no response.... Blah blah. Instead you get nothing. I realise this is just venting. Preaching to the converted as such.
Is there nothing we can do? Our entire lives on hold post punishment. Another hidden punishment tacked on. Am I annoyed? Yes. I'm trying to take it in my stride but it's bugging me yeah I get it I made a mistake, I got tried it in court and got punished. I get it. A global pandemic made life shit for everyone. Including me.
Solution. Give out 1 year licences and do all this when the dvla hire enough staff.
Everyone will feel your pain. When did you have your medical? They responded to me 7 weeks after mine when they eventually located the info that had been sent to them over 6 weeks before !! I understand your view re the course, but I can genuinely say I found it incredibly worth it , regardless of any reduction in ban . Keep updating on this forum . It’s a good place for information sharing.

Everyone will feel your pain. When did you have your medical? They responded to me 7 weeks after mine when they eventually located the info that had been sent to them over 6 weeks before !! I understand your view re the course, but I can genuinely say I found it incredibly worth it , regardless of any reduction in ban . Keep updating on this forum . It’s a good place for information sharing.
I can genuinely say I didn't find it worth it. I know how to not drive drunk. It's not a complicated concept. However for whatever reason, under whatever circumstances I pleaded guilty and was found guilty of.... And I've paid my dues. And my debt to society has been cleared. Lessons learnt. Punishment doled out and received. Hoops laid out. Hoops jumped through. Rules made and adheared to. After all that I just feel like my side of the deal has been upheld but the other side just keeps rewriting the rules and moving the goal posts. That's cheating

Actually I'm going to add to that before anyone gets upset. It is actually a complicated concept. It's a massive area of law with a lot of grey areas. And a lot of cracks which it's easy to fall into. The awareness course was indeed useful and in itself a good form of rehabilitation. I did find it interesting and I think the instructor? Was a good guy with good intentions. My point was, I kept up my end of the deal.... The dvla didnt. Maybe they should say a bit more in the awareness course about how underhanded the dvla is going to be and how to deal with it. Where Is the awareness of the dvla? Our debt has been paid. We've made arrangements for a certain date, but when that date is fictitious, our incomes suffer as a result. Our wellbeing and that of our families suffer as a result.

I can genuinely say I didn't find it worth it. I know how to not drive drunk. It's not a complicated concept. However for whatever reason, under whatever circumstances I pleaded guilty and was found guilty of.... And I've paid my dues. And my debt to society has been cleared. Lessons learnt. Punishment doled out and received. Hoops laid out. Hoops jumped through. Rules made and adheared to. After all that I just feel like my side of the deal has been upheld but the other side just keeps rewriting the rules and moving the goal posts. That's cheating
No Andy, I didn't except the knock a third off, still don't! We as human beings do things, somethings lead to consequences, so I took it, 30 months, 60 hrs CS,
Actually I'm going to add to that before anyone gets upset. It is actually a complicated concept. It's a massive area of law with a lot of grey areas. And a lot of cracks which it's easy to fall into. The awareness course was indeed useful and in itself a good form of rehabilitation. I did find it interesting and I think the instructor? Was a good guy with good intentions. My point was, I kept up my end of the deal.... The dvla didnt. Maybe they should say a bit more in the awareness course about how underhanded the dvla is going to be and how to deal with it. Where Is the awareness of the dvla? Our debt has been paid. We've made arrangements for a certain date, but when that date is fictitious, our incomes suffer as a result. Our wellbeing and that of our families suffer as a result.
I'm glad you said it, my solicitor in 2001 said all that is is a money making scam, and had I got my license back after not bothering when it was sent in error in 2001 when my ban was up, now OK, its alright if you need those months knocking off, as for awareness, If you aren't aware that you are in NO control over
I'm glad you pointed this out, I tend to get negativity from all I say, I'm 55, 35 when I was banned and seriously 20 years your far more wiser, you'll see, but my point is it's a comment my brief /Solicitor told me, if you can ride out 30 months ban, don't waste money on false BS, its OK if you need it for work, again, many loose jobs thru DUI, and also many job opportunities require a clean license, period. Then as for cheaper car insurance, you have to if you wanna save ( £45 I'd of saved 🤔🤔) if I'd of been mugged off by this beuracratic system. Awareness,,, look that word up, if a snake has bit you, your not gonna walk through the jungle calm are you! You'd make sure you'd got anti virus, protect your body and legs so you don't have to go through 3 years, 2, or 12 months of skin grafts, So why would we not be aware that a beer is gonna be safe to consume when we are eventually back on the road, we know drink on an empty stomach will make 1 pint feel like 3, we know a whiff of booze on a stop N search would not look good on a PNC check,,, now if we wanna watch Brain dead kids, or watch families crying at a graveside, watch YouTube, we feel like crap on those early months and does that system who many have lost partners through DUI, leaving them etc ( it's how I managed get rid of my missus 😂,,, only trying Lighten the mood) But do your homework, ring your well known insurance Co against the ones where you pay what sounds a lot less, it ain't,,, pay peanuts, you get,,,,,,,,,, a long wait if you claim, and who knows, are we sure you do not have to get a CDT test to be fully covered,,, I'll leave with this,,, by the time I'm 55, its only 3 months away, if I've had my license by Xmas, I did a online quote with a major company
Answered all true
DUI,,, no, it's over 19 years 9 months, so my license has been clear since my ban was either up in 2001vplus 3, so 2007 ish , or is it six yrs from date of conviction 1999, either way, nothing to declare with that part,
No claim in last x years, NO, I have not got any NCH, I'm classed as a new driver,,,, 998cc Car, I'll not name it, 2008 plate, worth 1k max, even tho it's only got 32k on clock, Garaged yes, Alarm, Yes, I mobilizer no, my quote with no breakdown cover Fully comp was 732 quid, so if I did the course now, I may save 100 quid, would I wanna save 100 or go with a decent company,,,, I know what makes sense

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off