Drug driving second offence in the space of 7 months

Convicted Driver Insurance
He has a 12 month ban and a fine for his first charge, he had his second blood results back last week which were 6.0 and has to go to court next week. What can he expect to get?

He has a 12 month ban and a fine for his first charge, he had his second blood results back last week which were 6.0 and has to go to court next week. What can he expect to get?
He can expect significant ban, significant fine and/or prison depending on circumstances

The HRO scheme that makes it compulsory for a minimum 3 year ban with a second offence in 10 years do not apply to drug offences.
BUT the guidelines for magistrates are to deal with a second drug driving offence in the same way and give a 3 year ban. There is no course available to reduce the length of the ban, like there is for drink driving. He may well get a community penalty instead of a fine, and that could include a drug treatment order.

You can read the guidelines here:

Thank you for your reply. He had a third stop and failed roadside for cocaine in may this year and is waiting for bloods to return for that. What would he likely get for a third, if it does come back as over?

If that is high, he could be looking at prison,other than swapping his drug of choice before he drives, he is not learning a lesson from being caught is he?

I have tried to tell him many times, but he doesnt listen. He is banned now, he had 12 month ban. So he is off the road which is great. What would he likely get as a sentence?

Was the second cannabis driving committed after he was banned for 12 months or before?

That is something! If he was driving whilst disqualified as well he would be going to prison.
I would expect the outcome to be that he will either get a suspended prison sentence or a community penalty including an alcohol treatment order.
he will also get a 3 year ban, and a medical exam with DVLA before he can have his licence back as they will want to check him for drug usage.

He had only held his licence since May of 2019, could they revoke it entirely? And make him re test when hes eligible (I'm assuming in many years to come). Thank you for all your replies it really is useful having some advice I can use to explain the consequences of situation he has got himself into.

It is open to the magistrates to order a retest if they feel it is suitable, but in my experience they only do that for bad examples of driving being involved, for elderly drivers or for new drivers who have only passes their test in the last 3-4 months.

The new drivers scheme, which makes drivers who have passed their test in the last 2 years and have accumulated 6 points resit their test does not apply as drug driving carries a ban, but no points.

It is open to the magistrates to order a retest if they feel it is suitable, but in my experience they only do that for bad examples of driving being involved, for elderly drivers or for new drivers who have only passes their test in the last 3-4 months.

The new drivers scheme, which makes drivers who have passed their test in the last 2 years and have accumulated 6 points resit their test does not apply as drug driving carries a ban, but no points.
What can you tell me mate my paranoia kicking in now I’ve just seen all these threads.
I got caught/ Court/ 5.4 reading judge was going to let me off because I’m a carer and worked in a hospital but because by sister also lived in house and the sleepers she was on wasn’t the higher dose one he had to ban me

The magistrate may have said he would LIKE to not ban you, but in reality he had no choice. Exceptional circumstances only apply to the reason for driving at the time and are very tight, not exceptional circumstances for being a care worker.

Reactions: TPR
he had 3 year ban, fine and 12 week curfew.
It sounds like He was pretty lucky. The magistrates could have sent He to prison given the circumstance. Was the ban to apply from the end of He's current ban? Was this just for the second offence, is He still awaiting to hear about his third offence?

The magistrate may have said he would LIKE to not ban you, but in reality he had no choice. Exceptional circumstances only apply to the reason for driving at the time and are very tight, not exceptional circumstances for being a care worker.
Trust me I know what he said, had to have my sister bring her tablets in and a doctor had to be called in because it was only a lower dose sleeping tablet and not the high dose it couldn’t be counted as an exceptional circumstance and she could still drive. Was prescribed to only be taken after 8pm so I couldn’t use that.
I also worked in a hospital as a porter and I’m a carer for 2 family members.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off