Driving while waiting for a conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

RobPointer222

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my stepson. He crashed his car while intoxicated around 4 months ago and was arrested, but taken straight to the hospital to get checked out.

After he had been seen, he discharged himself and since then has not driven since the car was a write-off.

He's had no contact from the police at all in 4 months. I realise from this forum that it can take up to 6 months, so not in the clear yet, but he has also applied for a certificate (can't recall the legal name) to travel to Canada for his Visa which states no convictions and no outstanding/processing convictions.

He MAY get lucky and in a few months' time not get a letter from the police, we will just wait and see on that.

I wanted to get advice on him driving in the meantime. He's not driven at all, as stated, but has been offered the use of a friend's car while they work away. I assume technically right now, he's innocent as he could contest the charges (although won't). Can he drive until any convictions have been processed or are this regarded as a massive No given that he's been arrested and blown over the limit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

He’s allowed to drive until such a time as the court hands down a ban.

I was given an interim ban by the courts - meaning that although I was awaiting my sentence, a ban was handed down to me in the meantime. I hadn’t driven anyway, from the date of my arrest until the date of the ban, but no one ever asked me if I had.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my stepson. He crashed his car while intoxicated around 4 months ago and was arrested, but taken straight to the hospital to get checked out.

After he had been seen, he discharged himself and since then has not driven since the car was a write-off.

He's had no contact from the police at all in 4 months. I realise from this forum that it can take up to 6 months, so not in the clear yet, but he has also applied for a certificate (can't recall the legal name) to travel to Canada for his Visa which states no convictions and no outstanding/processing convictions.

He MAY get lucky and in a few months' time not get a letter from the police, we will just wait and see on that.

I wanted to get advice on him driving in the meantime. He's not driven at all, as stated, but has been offered the use of a friend's car while they work away. I assume technically right now, he's innocent as he could contest the charges (although won't). Can he drive until any convictions have been processed or are this regarded as a massive No given that he's been arrested and blown over the limit?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
He can drive . However , I think that technically he should advise his insurance company of the arrest incident. There is a clause in many , if not all insurance policies stating that they must be advised immediately of any relevant event. This would be regarded as such . Im not saying it would have any negative effect eg withdrawal of insurance but if a claim was triggered and it hadn’t been declared it could cause problems. It’s not illegal as such , at all, however , not to report. I got charged and didn’t report anything to insurer as I got rid of car but I did drive for a week or so. I shouldn’t have done but fortunately nothing came back to bite me . I was in enough other as it was !!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off