Driving under section 88 RTA

Convicted Driver Insurance

Pitstop

Hi, I recently had a minor parking accident (04/06/17) while driving under section 88. I have had a 1 year licence which expired on 25/05/17 following a seizure in May 2015 after drinking too much, I had a year off driving then a 1 year licence . Following my application for renewing the 1 year licence the DVLA have have requested I go for a medical which unfortunately I could not arrange till after my licence expired due to the DVLA being slow to respond hence driving under section 88. My question is will I be covered if I claim on my insurance? Will the insurance company even check licence for a minor motor claim? There was no damage to my car just approx £1000 damage to the other one. thanks

Unfortunately we cannot comment on the individual terms of your insurance policy. That is a matter between you and your insurer. However, driving under section 88 of Road Traffic Act 1988 is only valid if you fit the following criteria:

1. You must have held a valid driving licence and only drive vehicles you are qualified to drive
2. You must meet any conditions specified on your previous licence, for example, if your licence says you must wear glasses to drive, then you must continue to wear them
3. You sent your fully completed application to DVLA within the last 12 months
4. Your last licence must not have been revoked or refused for medical reasons
5. You must not be currently disqualified by a court
6. You must not have been disqualified as a high risk offender on or after 1 June 2013. A high risk offender is a driver convicted of a serious drink drive offence.

You do have an obligation to report the incident and co-operate with your insurer. Failing to do so can itself result in your policy being invalidated and can impact on your ability to obtain insurance in the future.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off