Driving under section 88 after ban not a high risk offender

Convicted Driver Insurance

Chelsie612

Hi I wondered if anyone could help me. My ban was up on the 3rd may I sent my application to renew my license around 6 weeks ago but due to reduced workforce and not processing all applications I have not received my it. When I view my license online it just says I can now renew my license and that I have no driving entitlement. I managed to speak to someone from dvla who said to me to read up on section 88 to see if I meet the criteria to drive without recieving it but it still doesn't really answer my question. I'm not a high risk offender so I don't need a medical I just need to wait for them to process it they are saying they can't give a timescale to when that will be. With the current situation I could really do with being able to drive to get out for shopping with my 3 young children,but I obviously don't want to drive if the section 88 doesn't apply to me. Thanks

Hi Chelsie, did you manage to get an answer to this? My understanding is that as long as the DVLA have received your application and you are confident you do not have a reason that means you shouldn't drive, then you are able to do so. Please don't take this as definite. I have been told I can drive under section 88 as I have a temporary license about to expire, but can't get a medical, so my application is on hold, similar to yours. Best advice I can give is complete the online contact form on dvla website (you need to click on where it says you are a key worker), and then you can write a message detailing your case, and ask them if you are covered under section 88. They will then ring you back in 48 hours (usually) and give you an answer. I've had two call backs through this method, and clear advice on both occasions. Don't worry if you are not a key worker - the DVLA have a much broader definition of it than just nurses and hgv drivers.
Let us know how you get on.

Thanks for that, I will contact and let you no
Hi am in the same situation my ban is up on the 11 th July for drug driving dg10.am not classed as a hro but understand I may have to do a medical.ive not sent my application of yet.i spoke to the dvla today and asked them about section 88.they advised me to read INF188/6 on gov.com dvla, The first paragraph reads you can continue to drive if you licence expires during renewal,however mine does,not.hope this helps.

The dvla have extended their working hours 8 -1 and 2-7 pm so they are starting to move slowly won't be much longer for your licence.

Hi Chelsie, did you manage to get an answer to this? My understanding is that as long as the DVLA have received your application and you are confident you do not have a reason that means you shouldn't drive, then you are able to do so. Please don't take this as definite. I have been told I can drive under section 88 as I have a temporary license about to expire, but can't get a medical, so my application is on hold, similar to yours. Best advice I can give is complete the online contact form on dvla website (you need to click on where it says you are a key worker), and then you can write a message detailing your case, and ask them if you are covered under section 88. They will then ring you back in 48 hours (usually) and give you an answer. I've had two call backs through this method, and clear advice on both occasions. Don't worry if you are not a key worker - the DVLA have a much broader definition of it than just nurses and hgv drivers.
Let us know how you get on.
Well that's news to me re not a key worker and the definition of same, pls, so if your revoked licence on medical grounds not an HRO or DD happy days... Do t think so

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off