Drinking seizure now need a medical and CDT why?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Fossy

Looking for advice please help......I lost my driving licence 31st December 2019 due to a seizure I put it down to binge drinking as never drank so much I was honest with the hospital told them I had over 10 pints and a bottle of tia Maria on that night. Consultant said I need to contact DVLA and did about seizure and got 12 month ban. I reapplied for my licence 17th December 2020 and yesterday after several questionaires to me all 6 weeks apart I have now received a medical for a CDT test Included. I’m annoyed as like anyone I like a few drinks a few evenings a week maybe 4 to 6 cans of strongbow just to relax but can do without but friends over bbq in the garden it happens. A wedding, my daughters 30th, an anniversary maybe a few extra drinks. I’m now worried they see needing a drink but I would never ever drink if I knew I was driving the next day, not having my licence didn’t see a problem having a few drinks as weren’t driving.
what happens now.? if I fail the test what will happen? I could understand if I got done for drink driving I would deserve to lose my licence !
I am so scared as I’m also waiting on a new hip so need to drive to do school runs. I even have a letter from my consultant to say he wants my to have my licence and been fit free and off fit drugs for over 12 months.
Any info to settle my mind haven’t had a drink in 4 days. Just feel I’m being punished for being honest ......should I be honest? and say I’m still having a leisure drink with friends and family even though this started 6 months ago didn’t drink for 12 months after seizure.

Looking for advice please help......I lost my driving licence 31st December 2019 due to a seizure I put it down to binge drinking as never drank so much I was honest with the hospital told them I had over 10 pints and a bottle of tia Maria on that night. Consultant said I need to contact DVLA and did about seizure and got 12 month ban. I reapplied for my licence 17th December 2020 and yesterday after several questionaires to me all 6 weeks apart I have now received a medical for a CDT test Included. I’m annoyed as like anyone I like a few drinks a few evenings a week maybe 4 to 6 cans of strongbow just to relax but can do without but friends over bbq in the garden it happens. A wedding, my daughters 30th, an anniversary maybe a few extra drinks. I’m now worried they see needing a drink but I would never ever drink if I knew I was driving the next day, not having my licence didn’t see a problem having a few drinks as weren’t driving.
what happens now.? if I fail the test what will happen? I could understand if I got done for drink driving I would deserve to lose my licence !
I am so scared as I’m also waiting on a new hip so need to drive to do school runs. I even have a letter from my consultant to say he wants my to have my licence and been fit free and off fit drugs for over 12 months.
Any info to settle my mind haven’t had a drink in 4 days. Just feel I’m being punished for being honest ......should I be honest? and say I’m still having a leisure drink with friends and family even though this started 6 months ago didn’t drink for 12 months after seizure.

The DVLA do not order a CDT test after an epileptic/general seizure 12 month revocation, after an alcohol related seizure the DVLA will have placed you within the dependence category. There is no leeway on this- an alcohol related seizure, a stint in rehab, the use of detox medication or the use of a detox facility automatically triggers the dependence assessment from the DVLA. I’m afraid you are in a much less keen position than you think, when the DVLA deem you dependent they want evidence of at least 12 months of abstinence. They also expect a date of last alcoholic drink consumed logged with your GP and your GP’s support in getting your licence back.

This process will be repeated for the next 6 years, if you have a read of other posts of the same nature you’ll find that this means a minimum of 6 years of abstinence. The DVLA expect it for life but after 6 years they usually grant a 10 year licence, in effect ending the process. If you have been deemed dependent and your CDT returns at 1% or over you will be refused, a member has had theirs refused for this reading this year when the DVLA deemed them dependent. You want a score of <0.8%.

The DVLA do not order a CDT test after an epileptic/general seizure 12 month revocation, after an alcohol related seizure the DVLA will have placed you within the dependence category. There is no leeway on this- an alcohol related seizure, a stint in rehab, the use of detox medication or the use of a detox facility automatically triggers the dependence assessment from the DVLA. I’m afraid you are in a much less keen position than you think, when the DVLA deem you dependent they want evidence of at least 12 months of abstinence. They also expect a date of last alcoholic drink consumed logged with your GP and your GP’s support in getting your licence back.

This process will be repeated for the next 6 years, if you have a read of other posts of the same nature you’ll find that this means a minimum of 6 years of abstinence. The DVLA expect it for life but after 6 years they usually grant a 10 year licence, in effect ending the process. If you have been deemed dependent and your CDT returns at 1% or over you will be refused, a member has had theirs refused for this reading this year when the DVLA deemed them dependent. You want a score of <0.8%.
The thing is my consultant says the seizure was not alcohol related was due to an ayerium on.my brian i said i thought it was due to a heavy night to my doctor. Would my consultant beable to back up my claim ? With a letter maybe ?

The thing is my consultant says the seizure was not alcohol related was due to an ayerium on.my brian i said i thought it was due to a heavy night to my doctor. Would my consultant beable to back up my claim ? With a letter maybe ?

When you spoke to the DVLA at the very beginning, what reason did you give for the seizure or what did you tell them happened?

Told them i thought it was to much drink but my consultant said he didnt think it was as they found a anyerium on my brain. I didnt question it just told myself and my doctor it was to much drink for new year going to see if i can talk to consultant today and get his opinion on it.

I think you are stuck with this situation and have to do the DVLA medical with the CDT test.
You have admitted to them that you drank about 40 units off alcohol in one session and whilst that aneurism may have been the cause of the seizure, that in itself could open up another can of worms if you put this forward. There is guidance on aneurisms and driving that you can read here:

DVLA could decide to seek clarification from the consultant about your situation and if there has been no follow up then how can they decide that no further treatment is required?
I think your consultant will be hard pressed to say that the onset of the aneurysm seizure was not related to the large alcohol consumption that day, so the aneurysm was not caused by alcohol but the seizure was induced by the exacerbation of your condition due to the large alcohol intake.

You say you have filled out questionnaires, did you disclose on them that you drink 4-6 cans of Strongbow ‘several times a week’? That in itself will cause problems even if the seizure was non alcohol related.

Told them i thought it was to much drink but my consultant said he didnt think it was as they found a anyerium on my brain. I didnt question it just told myself and my doctor it was to much drink for new year going to see if i can talk to consultant today and get his opinion on it.

Once you have told the DVLA you believed the seizure was down to drink no letter from a consultant will reverse the process that you are now in. Other users have tried with letters from doctors, once the DVLA have deemed you to be dependent you are stuck in that process. On your medical records you presented at hospital after a seizure and told them you drank 40 units, the DVLA will be contacting your doctor during the medical process as you were revoked.

As Price has also asked, how have you answered the initial questionnaires?

Yes to all the above im just now trying to work out what to do with my car as its on finace and i now know i wont get back to driving for 12 months sure i can do another 12 months been 18 months now but cant have the expensse of a car i cant drive and not doing the car any good sitting in the carpark.

True and Accurate Hi, I am writing to provide information regarding my own experience relating to alcohol related siezure and loss of license. I too informed the DVLA of an alcohol related seizure in September 2017. I had an alcohol problem, in that I drank a bottle of wine every night after work sometimes 2. I always turned up to work and a high performer in a highly pressured job but on this occasion I hadn't touched a drop for 2 days, I was very stressed out about other things. Having been working away for a couple of days, I came home and apparently blacked out for a minute. I was admitted to hospital (taken by my husband) and checked out, my now ex- husband told the Junior Dr I had a serious alcohol problem. As advised by the Junior Dr I notified the DVLA that I had an alcohol related seizure, immediately I was asked to send back my license and that I could re-apply after 6 months (the DVLA/Gov website requires abstinence during these 6 months). In my mind I thought 'I'll have my license back in 6 months, easy!' No. Realistically the process takes an absolute minimum 6-8 weeks including the DVLA writing to GP, medical, DVLA decision. What happens next: I have every year since, been required to undertake a medical by a DVLA franchise medic. Year 1 CDT 1.06, Year 2 CDT 1.08, Year 3 CDT 0.8. and License reassured every year for 1 year. It is also worth noting that this last CDT was delayed by 10 months due to the pandemic, in which time I was able to drive under the section 88 act.I am hoping that after 2022 I may get a long term license, this process is stressful. I stop drinking alcohol for 2 months before anticipating a CDT test although in reality as you will see on the CDT manufactures website, your transferrin levels return to normal after 'several weeks of abstinence i.e. more than a couple of weeks, 3-5 weeks. You will also see that you don't need to demonstrate transferrin levels of 0.8. As I said at the beginning that this is true and accurate.

True and Accurate Hi, I am writing to provide information regarding my own experience relating to alcohol related siezure and loss of license. I too informed the DVLA of an alcohol related seizure in September 2017. I had an alcohol problem, in that I drank a bottle of wine every night after work sometimes 2. I always turned up to work and a high performer in a highly pressured job but on this occasion I hadn't touched a drop for 2 days, I was very stressed out about other things. Having been working away for a couple of days, I came home and apparently blacked out for a minute. I was admitted to hospital (taken by my husband) and checked out, my now ex- husband told the Junior Dr I had a serious alcohol problem. As advised by the Junior Dr I notified the DVLA that I had an alcohol related seizure, immediately I was asked to send back my license and that I could re-apply after 6 months (the DVLA/Gov website requires abstinence during these 6 months). In my mind I thought 'I'll have my license back in 6 months, easy!' No. Realistically the process takes an absolute minimum 6-8 weeks including the DVLA writing to GP, medical, DVLA decision. What happens next: I have every year since, been required to undertake a medical by a DVLA franchise medic. Year 1 CDT 1.06, Year 2 CDT 1.08, Year 3 CDT 0.8. and License reassured every year for 1 year. It is also worth noting that this last CDT was delayed by 10 months due to the pandemic, in which time I was able to drive under the section 88 act.I am hoping that after 2022 I may get a long term license, this process is stressful. I stop drinking alcohol for 2 months before anticipating a CDT test although in reality as you will see on the CDT manufactures website, your transferrin levels return to normal after 'several weeks of abstinence i.e. more than a couple of weeks, 3-5 weeks. You will also see that you don't need to demonstrate transferrin levels of 0.8. As I said at the beginning that this is true and accurate.
I'm not sure that anyone has said you have to show a CDT score of 0.8% for anything?

Looking through your notes, you mention you were told you could apply for your licence back after 6 months. This indicates that they classed you as an 'abuser' rather than dependent. An Abuser has to show drinking within government guidelines, or abstinence for 6 months and the CDT requirements are pretty much as per the traffic light system that is well documented here. A dependent however is told to abstain from alcohol for a minimum of 12 months with proof. In these cases, it is well noted that DVLA look for a CDT level of below 1% to help show abstinence, and again it is documented that people have been refused again with a score of 1% as it may show continued alcohol consumption despite the abstinence requirement. Dependents will be expected to be abstinent for life, or at least as long as they are required to carry out the annual medical (generally up to 6 years or more).

The OP mentioned they didn't drink for 12 months after the seizure, however DVLA are not looking for just a random 12 month abstinence for those who are classed as dependent, they are looking for proof of the latest 12 months showing abstinence, with ongoing abstinence going forward. that can be proved

Some dependent people wrongly think they can go a straight 365 days without drinking and then start again as they have then proved themselves. This is most definitely not the case....

Thanks for sharing

I'm not sure that anyone has said you have to show a CDT score of 0.8% for anything?

Looking through your notes, you mention you were told you could apply for your licence back after 6 months. This indicates that they classed you as an 'abuser' rather than dependent. An Abuser has to show drinking within government guidelines, or abstinence for 6 months and the CDT requirements are pretty much as per the traffic light system that is well documented here. A dependent however is told to abstain from alcohol for a minimum of 12 months with proof. In these cases, it is well noted that DVLA look for a CDT level of below 1% to help show abstinence, and again it is documented that people have been refused again with a score of 1% as it may show continued alcohol consumption despite the abstinence requirement. Dependents will be expected to be abstinent for life, or at least as long as they are required to carry out the annual medical (generally up to 6 years or more).

The OP mentioned they didn't drink for 12 months after the seizure, however DVLA are not looking for just a random 12 month abstinence for those who are classed as dependent, they are looking for proof of the latest 12 months showing abstinence, with ongoing abstinence going forward. that can be proved

Some dependent people wrongly think they can go a straight 365 days without drinking and then start again as they have then proved themselves. This is most definitely not the case....
Jools91 said you must get a CDT transferrin of <0.8%. I'm keen to make sure people don't get inaccurate information.

“Year 1 CDT 1.06, Year 2 CDT 1.08, Year 3 CDT 0.8. and License reassured every year for 1 year……..You will also see that you don't need to demonstrate transferrin levels of 0.8. As I said at the beginning that this is true and accurate.”

I do not doubt your history, but given the current DVLA standards, 1.06 or 1.08 would see you as having a fail. They have tightened their requirements in the last couple of years and it seems certain that you need to score below 1% CDT if you have been labelled alcohol dependent.

So what am i classed as abuser or dependent i can take drink or leave it ...it was new year a.party at home and i had alot more than i thought which ended up with a seizure. So now im confused

Once you have told the DVLA you believed the seizure was down to drink no letter from a consultant will reverse the process that you are now in. Other users have tried with letters from doctors, once the DVLA have deemed you to be dependent you are stuck in that process. On your medical records you presented at hospital after a seizure and told them you drank 40 units, the DVLA will be contacting your doctor during the medical process as you were revoked.

As Price has also asked, how have you answered the initial questionnaires?
On the questionaire i put that i drank alot as new year party at home with friends ended up having a seizure asked how.many drinks a week said on average 8 to 10 but only of not working next day. Doctor filled one out too and told her the same

Jools91 said you must get a CDT transferrin of <0.8%. I'm keen to make sure people don't get inaccurate
Jools91 said you must get a CDT transferrin of <0.8%. I'm keen to make sure people don't get inaccurate information.
Excuse me I said no such thing! Do you have proof of me stating this? So please get your information right before you just pick a random name on here! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Thank you for sharing this with me scares me as i had been driving 32 years never a claim accident or pulled over and feel one night of celebrations has cost.me my job as involved driving. My independance as i live in a small village and now stuck at home doing nothing all day. I have my 3 year old granddaughter living with me and im classed as disabled as cant walk as its painful as covid they cancelled my hip replacement just feel stuck in a hole

On the questionaire i put that i drank alot as new year party at home with friends ended up having a seizure asked how.many drinks a week said on average 8 to 10 but only of not working next day. Doctor filled one out too and told her the same

Fossy unfortunately 8 to 10 drinks a week is outside what the DVLA accept even for a normal drinker. The guidelines is 14 units per week, you said you drink strongbow. It’s 2 units per can in the normal 440ml can - 10 cans at 2 units is 20 units. The 500ml can and the pint can have 2.25 units and 2.5 units respectively so that’s either 22.5 units or 25 units per week if it’s the larger cans.

There is a post on the forum of a 22 year old being revoked for admitting to drinking 20 units a week. The only acceptable answer to the DVLA is an answer within the guidelines of 14 units. On top of that, as has been mentioned before, the DVLA have ordered a CDT after your seizure so they consider you either a misuser or dependent. A misuser must show 6 months of controlled drinking, you can’t do this as you have stated on a questionnaire that you drink 16-20 units per week (given it’s the 440ml can) which is outside of the 14 unit limit. Someone found to be dependent must be totally abstinent for 12 months, you would not be able to evidence that again due to your admission of drinking.

@BigTom the 0.8% I stated was due to a user being refused for a reading of 1% this year, with the DVLA stating this was an indicator of recent alcohol consumption. They never seem to want to show their hand on what they actually accept but less than one seems to be the go to.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off