DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Convicted Driver Insurance
so the magistrates did not offer the Drink Drive Rehabilitation course?
If hey didn’t offer it, did your solicitor request it?
if he did, What was the magistrates reason for declining the offer?

Brief Description of Offence:
Went for a meal with the friends and on the way back decided to move my car from the main road (which would have got busy in the morning) to a side road. Hardly drove 0.5k but I must have clipped something as the tire went and I drove into a parked car which then hit the car Infront. The police came and I informed them of what happened. Got arrested and blew 63 at the station. Third-party costs got covered by my insurance, but I had to get my car repaired

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
Breath - 63

Mitigating Factors:
Clean driving license

Good character
Charity work
Lost by 12-year NCD as part of the 3rd party costs
Steep bill for the repairs of my own car
No injuries
11pm incident very low risk to public
Corporation with Police
Early guilty plea
Cars involved were repaired by insurance

Aggravating Factors:
was involved in the accident with park cars

Legal Representation at Court?:
Yes: ( please please if you are pleading guilty DO NOT pay more than £500

Sentence:
got banned for 17months reduced to 13 months 3 weeks after the course and all incl fine of £1000

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
Yes – looking to complete in FEB 21

Sentence Comments:
all things considered, it was ok.. I thought the lawyer could have/ should have done more especially when I had to pay£1100 to at least make an attempt to push for a more lenient ban considering the list of mitigation factors. The court staff was helpful and there was nothing the lawyer did that I couldn’t have done myself, however, I would still recommend having a lawyer but as above it shouldn’t be costing anyone more than £500 if you are pleading guilty!

Brief description of offence: After having six pints over the course of 8 hours and a meal me and my girlfriend left the pub. We were staying at a hotel that was within walking distance but my girlfriend said she will drive I thought she had had way more than me and I chose to drive, within 1/2 a mile police were in my rear mirror I pulled over as soon as the lights came on (inevitable they would at that time of night) The officer asked me to blow I said no as I knew I was highly likely to be over and was arrested taken to police station where I again refused this was because I felt panicked unsure what to do and didn’t realise not providing would put me in the HRO category if I knew that I would have provided. Other than giving my name and address I said nothing. Blood alcohol level and reading type: failed to provide. Mitigating factors: Clean licence, good character, no previous convictions. Aggravating factors: Would not provide a specimen Legal representation at court? No. Sentence: 12 month ban reduced to 9 month after completing course (completed 25th jan via zoom still waiting for certificate) fine £237 Sentence comments: very surprised I didn’t receive 18 month ban or prison as that’s what I read before going into court that it’s a possible 6 months, a high fine, very pleased they allowed me to participate in the course learnt a lot. This whole experience has taught me many things losing job, family ashamed etc

Very good result then. I would have expected 12 months in Northern Ireland or Scotland, but for failing to supply, with no real reason, the guidelines are 17-28 months.

Brief Description of Offence: I had been to a restaurant with friends in the late afternoon and then to a friends house, after myself and a friend walked back to the car to get a mask for a taxi I stupidly thought I'm fine and drove, I went past roadworks and bumped a cone, soon after the car behind me put their blues on, police stopped me and said that I had no lights on (my car has automatic lights so I never think about them) also I bumped a curb (which I hadn't) and bumped the cone, i told them the truth and they breathalysed me there and back at the station.

Final reading of 93 for breath.

Mitigating Factors
Cooperative
No previous offences.
No accidents

Aggravating Factors

Here i should write that i had a passenger but the police didnt mention it in their report so it wasnt brought up in court, nor what they said about the curb, however they did write that I knocked serveral cones over.

Yes, I knew that having a duty solititor was an option but I know I would have felt less anxious if I sorted one prior. The solicitor was lovely and helped calm my nerves before going into court... In hindsight she said nothing different to what I could have said but I would have just been too nervey. She cost £240.

Sentence: 23 month ban reduced to 19 with the awareness course & £616 all inclusive fine. Also classed as HRO so will have the extra commitment of the medical before receiving my license back.
Name in the paper!

Sentence Comments: Greatful that it was a fine and not community service due to the higher reading, also glad it was the minimum term of ban for my reading I received.
Definitely learnt my lesson, which is bad to say as it really shouldn't have happened in the first place.
I will say that reading through these forums has helped a great deal.

20 year old son had some drinks and stupidly decided to drive his girlfriend home, dropped her off and crashed his car into a barrier on his way home. The police drove past, smelt alcohol on him so breathalysed him at the roadside

83 in breath

Mitigating Factors:
Never been in any trouble before, had a clean licence, co-operated with police, no other parties involved, no damage caused other than to his own car

Aggravating Factors:
crashed his car

Yes we hired a solicitor, £420 inc VAT, we felt it was worth paying to have someone there with him as we weren't allowed into the court building due to Covid, having the support relieved a lot of anxiety all round

Sentence:
£520 fine including court cost and victim surcharge. 21 month ban reduced by 21 weeks with the rehab course

Yes and will be completing

Sentence Comments:
I feel it was fair, just glad he got a fine and not community service which was a possibility

Went to the Weatherspoon Pub and ordered 5 shots for a £10er. Drove and made it home, police turned up I blew 63.

63 in breath

Mitigating Factors:
Had a clean car
Mental health issues

Aggravating Factors:
Crashed the car
Am a regular at the Police Station
Smashing Police Cell
0 Co-Operation

Yes I had a free legal aid Solicitor

Sentence:
  • Start date: 19 Oct 2017
  • End date: 18 Jan 2019
  • Conviction date: 19 Oct 2017
  • Removal date: 19 Oct 2028
  • Offence details​

• DR10: Driving or attempting to drive with alcohol level above limit
    • Fine: £120.00
    • Period: 15 months
  • Court​

Deleted

Yes Completed back in 2018

Sentence Comments:
Just a straight forward case, one of the fastest and easiest I have ever had. Did not stop driving though and carried on delivering food throughout. I was an ASSHOLE back then, different person today.

Went for a meal with the friends and on the way back decided to move my car from the main road (which would have got busy in the morning) to a side road. Hardly drove 0.5k but I must have clipped something as the tire went and I drove into a parked car which then hit the car Infront. The police came and I informed them of what happened. Got arrested and blew 63 at the station. Third-party costs got covered by my insurance, but I had to get my car repaired

Breath - 63

Mitigating Factors:
Clean driving license

Good character
Charity work
Lost by 12-year NCD as part of the 3rd party costs
Steep bill for the repairs of my own car
No injuries
11pm incident very low risk to public
Corporation with Police
Early guilty plea
Cars involved were repaired by insurance

Aggravating Factors:
was involved in the accident with park cars

Yes: ( please please if you are pleading guilty DO NOT pay more than £500

Sentence:
got banned for 17months reduced to 13 months 3 weeks after the course and all incl fine of £1000

Yes – looking to complete in FEB 21

Sentence Comments:
all things considered, it was ok.. I thought the lawyer could have/ should have done more especially when I had to pay£1100 to at least make an attempt to push for a more lenient ban considering the list of mitigation factors. The court staff was helpful and there was nothing the lawyer did that I couldn’t have done myself, however, I would still recommend having a lawyer but as above it shouldn’t be costing anyone more than £500 if you are pleading guilty!
I’ve just come out of court after blowing 60 at the station. I got 17 month ban and got £250 fine plus court costs totalling £375. Anybody worried or losing sleep over this the only Advice i can give is don’t. No solictor needed as I pleaded guilty(waste of time if you admit it) didn’t even bother with the duty. They already know what they’re going to give you. Hold you hands up and say you’re sorry. Just glad it’s all over with

I’ve just come out of court after blowing 60 at the station. I got 17 month ban and got £250 fine plus court costs totalling £375. Anybody worried or losing sleep over this the only Advice i can give is don’t. No solictor needed as I pleaded guilty(waste of time if you admit it) didn’t even bother with the duty. They already know what they’re going to give you. Hold you hands up and say you’re sorry. Just glad it’s all over with

Did you request the drink driving rehabilitation course from the magistrate to reduce your ban on completion?

Did you request the drink driving rehabilitation course from the magistrate to reduce your ban on completion?
Unless you end up in the press & the potential impact on jobs that can have or require licence or DBS then sorry worry cannot go away as consequences can have a major impact

Unless you end up in the press & the potential impact on jobs that can have or require licence or DBS then sorry worry cannot go away as consequences can have a major impact
Yes 100% January as always it all comes down to circumstances. Obviously I want to keep my licence I’ve been driving 20 years and it’s gonna be like getting my legs cut off! But I chose to act like an idiot which I’m sure everyone reading this page can relate too but unfortunately I got caught. All I want is for people like myself who have never been in trouble before but are now having sleepless nights. PLEASE DONT WORRY. The minute I stepped in the court it was like a breath of fresh air compared to what I’d been through leading upto it. DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH A SOLICITOR UNLESS YOU BLEW OVER 100. Letters from friends/workers are a waste of time at present with covid as they do not except paper work although you can read them out if you wish but I didn’t bother as I’ve said before you can tell from body language they’re just working to a bracket system. I’m writing this as this page has helped me so much and I felt I should give something back to try and help people who are in a similar position to myself. Any questions welcome👍🏻

Unfortunately you can say you’re the only person to take you’re terminally ill relative to hospital with 1 hour to live. If you drink drive you’re getting banned. No ifs or buts. You will be banned!!!

Brief Description of Offence: Basically had been drinking all night with mates on a Saturday evening through till Sunday morning early hours. Decided to stupidly drive to drop a friend home before going home myself. Someone reported that my driving was not up to scratch and got pulled over etc, guess you know the rest. Stupid mistake, thought i would be ok but evidently i was not. Big lesson learnt.

Very very high reading of 136 in breath - Sentencing guidelines start at 12 weeks in custody!

Mitigating Factors
Cooperative
No previous offences
No accidents
Good job
Clean license for over 10 years
Extremely remorseful

Aggravating Factors
Two passengers in the car
Extremely high reading

Yes! Even though i was pleading guilty, due to the extremely high reading i did not want to take any chances. Hired a local solicitor (Confirmed with him beforehand how many times he has been in court etc) - Always good to have a regular face that the judges have good rapport with. - Cost £300 per attendance and had to attend twice due to the first visit being adjourned as required a pre-sentence report.

Sentence:
32 month ban (With the option to do the course) - 250 hours of community service.

Sentence Comments:
Considering the level of the reading, i am extremely lucky not to have been given a suspended sentence. As per my above comment, my solicitor knew the judge and i think this helped. It's hard to say as different courts do tend to differ when sentencing. The 250 hours CS is alot, but then again i had an extremely high reading. Have alerted my work and my manager is extremely supportive. Big lesson learnt here, do not take things for granted! Had i actually hit someone i would not be able to come to terms with it so i am taking this as a learning lesson and would not advise anyone to ever drink and drive. The next year + will be hard, but things could be alot worse. Now need to work with probation to arrange suitable times to do my CS as i work on-call a lot. Have been offered a number of online courses and mentioned i know a local charity shop so hoping they can get me in there. If anyone requires any advice please feel free to reach out. It is a very nerve wrecking experience, but you have to keep your chin up, learn from these things and move on. I have now bought a bike so am hoping to get in to shape over the next year +. Don't DD people!

Brief Description of Offence: Basically had been drinking all night with mates on a Saturday evening through till Sunday morning early hours. Decided to stupidly drive to drop a friend home before going home myself. Someone reported that my driving was not up to scratch and got pulled over etc, guess you know the rest. Stupid mistake, thought i would be ok but evidently i was not. Big lesson learnt.

Very very high reading of 136 in breath - Sentencing guidelines start at 12 weeks in custody!

Mitigating Factors
Cooperative
No previous offences
No accidents
Good job
Extremely remorseful

Aggravating Factors
Extremely high reading

Yes! Even though i was pleading guilty, due to the extremely high reading i did not want to take any chances. Hired a local solicitor (Confirmed with him beforehand how many times he has been in court etc) - Always good to have a regular face that the judges have good rapport with. - Cost £300 per attendance and had to attend twice due to the first visit being adjourned as required a pre-sentence report.

Sentence:
32 month ban (With the option to do the course) - 250 hours of community service.

Sentence Comments:
Considering the level of the reading, i am extremely lucky not to have been given a suspended sentence. As per my above comment, my solicitor knew the judge and i think this helped. It's hard to say as different courts do tend to differ when sentencing. The 250 hours CS is alot, but then again i had an extremely high reading. Have alerted my work and my manager is extremely supportive. Big lesson learnt here, do not take things for granted! Had i actually hit someone i would not be able to come to terms with it so i am taking this as a learning lesson and would not advise anyone to ever drink and drive. The next year + will be hard, but things could be alot worse. Now need to work with probation to arrange suitable times to do my CS as i work on-call a lot. Have been offered a number of online courses and mentioned i know a local charity shop so hoping they can get me in there. If anyone requires any advice please feel free to reach out. It is a very nerve wrecking experience, but you have to keep your chin up, learn from these things and move on. I have now bought a bike so am hoping to get in to shape over the next year +. Don't DD people!
Good on you for your honesty. Onwards and upwards! I also blew very high. Deep regret. Good luck to you xx

Mitigating Factors
Cooperative
No previous offences
No accidents
Good job
Extremely remorseful

Aggravating Factors
Extremely high reading

Sentence:

Sentence Comments:
Oof, could not agree more about courts giving differing sentences. Yes, yes, yes, there are guidelines but.... I had lesser reading but 3 months suspended and 3 year ban. Oh and 15 RAR (ha) days. My solicitor also knew the head magistrate and they, ahem, do not like each other. On the flipside, he was lovely enough to write me a letter that got my ban recinded.

Had a couple of drinks with a meal, genuinely thought I was ok to drive, was an icy night, stupidly used wiper wash upon setting off which obscured vision and crashed into a parked car

Breath 42

Mitigating Factors:
Clean license, never had any points
Clean record
Co-operated with police
Low reading

Aggravating Factors:
Crashed car
Admitted to not clearing windscreen for long enough to police

Yes

Sentence:
12 months reduced to 9 with course and small fine

Offered the Drink Driving course:
Yes and intend to complete

Sentence Comments:
Good considering accident, shame there’s no bonus reduction for being such a low reading

Drank heavily the night before, drove home early in the morning as I was having very negative thoughts and wanted to get somewhere safe. I didn’t care to think about how it might be dangerous for other people. I was reported after being seen leaving the place I was staying, and was pulled over about 5 miles away from home

Breath 74

Mitigating Factors:
Clean license
Clean record
Co-operated with police
Issues regarding to family situations I’d been made aware of at the time which I have since seeker help dealing with
Abstained from alcohol since
Early plea
Media interest resulted in various articles being written, some of which were not entirely true, which bought severe shade on my character
Aggravating Factors:
Prosecution didn’t mention any aggravation in court, which I was surprised about as I drove approximately 30 miles. I was also training for a job where I should have known better, however this also wasn’t mentioned.

Yes, duty solicitor on the day represented me, I didn’t want to spent money on a solicitor to plead guilty without any real danger of custodial sentence.

Sentence:
17 month ban, reduced by 17 weeks with the rehabilitation course.
£197 fine
£85 costs
£34 victim surcharge

Offered the Drink Driving course:
Yes and intend to complete before the end of the year

Sentence Comments:
I was surprised there was no aggravation mentioned to the court. The fine was very reasonable and the magistrates really took into consideration my mitigation and seemed like they really supported my lifestyle changes as I’m still under 21.
All I can say is that very little will stop you stressing about appearing in court, but if you make the changes to ensure you’re in a much better place at the time you’re in court, it’s entirely possible the magistrates will see this and reflect positively on it. I’m deeply ashamed of my actions and they have cost me many friendships, my career, and obviously my clean record and license, however it is not the end, regardless of how much it may seem that it is!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off