DRINK DRIVING SENTENCES

Convicted Driver Insurance
28 Days! Were you charged with Drunk in Charge? You did blow 135 which is nearly 4 times the limit in England so I am amazed you only got 28 days. You must have had a very lenient magistrate or a good brief.
Must have been in charge although I’m still surprised the DVLA didn’t query the history of alcohol relapse tbh.

Brief Description of Offence:
Had been depressed, struggling with social situations and basically had some drinks before driving home.

Blood Alcohol Level and Reading Type:
Bloods came back at 139, so just into the second bracket for sentencing

Mitigating Factors:
Clean motorcycle/car licence of 10 years
No criminal record or previous offences
Cooperated at roadside and hospital Previous good community standing and profession
Three character references and personal letter of apology / demonstrating remorse

Aggravating Factors:
Crashed and wrote off car
Distance drove was not short

Legal Representation at Court?:
Yes - Duty Solicitor. A long wait but was fantastic.

Sentence:

17 month disqualification, reduced by 25% upon completion of rehabilitation course - taking it down to 13 months.

Fine of £130, plus costs totalled approximately £240 (I can't remember the exact amount).

Offered the Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course?:
Yes

Sentence Comments:
As expected, duty solicitor pushed for them to keep me on the lower end of the bracket, court said how I was clearly of good character and had glowing references, acknowledged what was written in them and said they do not think they will see me in court ever again as I was clearly extremely remorseful and understood the potential consequences of my offence (I clearly stated in my letter how I knew I could have injured somebody or caused a fatality and was ashamed of my actions.)

Would not wish this experience on anybody however if you are going through this, it WILL be okay. It really will. Just don't do it again. Ever. I certainly won't.

Offence - went out for a meal and drinks before Christmas and made the stupid decision to drive home. Crashed my car into a house luckily there was no damage to the property only to my car. Blew 90 at the roadside and 77 in the station.

Mitigating factors - no prior offences or driving offences. Cooperated with the police had a couple character references and a personal letter that I wrote. Not sure if they helped or not.

Agrivating factors - crashed my car into a house

Sentence - I asked for the duty solicitor which I think was helpful at least put me more at ease. Received an 18 month ban but offered the driving course and around £800 fine in total

Summary - reading the comments on here have helped lots in the last month whist waiting for the court date. I knew it was going to be a ban but could have been a lot worse and thankfully no one was hurt. I will never be in charge of a car again after a drink after this and hopefully keep my job too

Offence - went out for a meal and drinks before Christmas and made the stupid decision to drive home. Crashed my car into a house luckily there was no damage to the property only to my car. Blew 90 at the roadside and 77 in the station.

Mitigating factors - no prior offences or driving offences. Cooperated with the police had a couple character references and a personal letter that I wrote. Not sure if they helped or not.

Agrivating factors - crashed my car into a house

Sentence - I asked for the duty solicitor which I think was helpful at least put me more at ease. Received an 18 month ban but offered the driving course and around £800 fine in total

Summary - reading the comments on here have helped lots in the last month whist waiting for the court date. I knew it was going to be a ban but could have been a lot worse and thankfully no one was hurt. I will never be in charge of a car again after a drink after this and hopefully keep my job too
Hi,

Atleast you were under the dreaded HRO status. Good outcome.

Kind regards,

Stu

For the drink driving you're going to be looking at, at least 12-16 month disqualification. It might increase though due to the crash.

You shouldn't be classed as a HRO luckily as that's just a huge hurdle to over come.

You'll get a band B or C fine and community service.

Court will be intimidating but you'll feel relieved once it's done. You'll be able to start processing the whole situation properly. I found that once court had happened and I knew my punishment I could breath again.

Defo ask for the drink drive course because that will cut your ban by 25%

Good luck xx
I'm unsure what punishment comes with driving without due care though. Sorry x

Was at a wedding, drank all day and had an argument. Stupidly got in my car, drove less than a mile and crashed in to a public bench (car ended up being scrapped). Just myself in the car.
Charged with drunk driving and dangerous driving

Breath 113

Mitigating Factors:
Short distance driven
Waited for police to arrive and was honest and caused no issues with police
No previous criminal activity at all/clean driving record
There was a high likelihood I had been spiked due to messages etc following event but no evidence ie CCTV so I plead guilty early and took it on the chin

Aggravating Factors:
Hit a bench so and very high reading (Scotland so limit is 22)

Yes - they got dangerous driving reduced to careless driving which meant I dont have to resit my test and felt they represented me well at sentencing

Sentence:
16 month ban - reduced to 12 with rehabilitation course which I will do
£500 fine
£20 victim surplus

Yes

Sentence Comments:
I was fully expecting community service and a longer ban given the high reading and the sheriff did comment on this. I was pleased they took into account my positive social report, background ie full time job/no history/having a young child. Really good outcome!

Would like to thank everyone on here for their advice and support throughout, really did help me! Would encourage anyone going through this to ask plenty of questions as it is a very stressful time!

Was at a wedding, drank all day and had an argument. Stupidly got in my car, drove less than a mile and crashed in to a public bench (car ended up being scrapped). Just myself in the car.
Charged with drunk driving and dangerous driving

Breath 113

Mitigating Factors:
Short distance driven
Waited for police to arrive and was honest and caused no issues with police
No previous criminal activity at all/clean driving record
There was a high likelihood I had been spiked due to messages etc following event but no evidence ie CCTV so I plead guilty early and took it on the chin

Aggravating Factors:
Hit a bench so and very high reading (Scotland so limit is 22)

Yes - they got dangerous driving reduced to careless driving which meant I dont have to resit my test and felt they represented me well at sentencing

Sentence:
16 month ban - reduced to 12 with rehabilitation course which I will do
£500 fine
£20 victim surplus

Yes

Sentence Comments:
I was fully expecting community service and a longer ban given the high reading and the sheriff did comment on this. I was pleased they took into account my positive social report, background ie full time job/no history/having a young child. Really good outcome!

Would like to thank everyone on here for their advice and support throughout, really did help me! Would encourage anyone going through this to ask plenty of questions as it is a very stressful time!
In the grand scheme of things that's not a bad result. In many ways your 12 months will move along quite quickly. Hopefully your experiences with medicals etc wont be too bad either.

Best wishes

Had been drinking, decided to drive, stopped at the petrol station, fell asleep, staff called the police, police got into my car and was arrested.

Had 2 breathalyser readings at the station - 1st was 86, 2nd was 88.

Mitigating Factors:
Had no previous driving offences, clean driving licence, cooperated with the police, nobody was injured, had no passengers, didn't damage or crash into anything.

Aggravating Factors:
The fact that the police had been knocking on my window and I didn't hear them and unopened beers cans on the passenger side.

I requested a duty solicitor, which did help as it was quite daunting as I didn't know what to expect. Speaking to her made me at ease.

Sentence:
Got 22 months ban, fined approx £600 fine (Fine £371 - Costs £85 - Victim surcharge £148 - total £604). Luckily the judge took the 86 reading instead of 88, which means I'm not considered as a HRO, I'm thankful for that as from my research from this forum, there certain hoops you have to jump through to get your licence back.

Yes. I wrote an apology to the courts and mentioned I would take the course.

Sentence Comments:
After the court, I was a little numb for about 30 mins, still digesting what just happened. At first, I felt it was too harsh but under the circumstances, I'm lucky as looking back on the night of my arrest, I deserve it. The fact I pleaded guilty and wrote a letter of my remorse helped.

What happened?
Went on a cocaine and drink binge. Consumed 1 litre of vodka uptil 5am. And cocaine. Decided I was hungry, went to get food, crashed, flipped the car, ran away. Was found, sent to hospital.

Bloods came back 200 for BZE
104 FOR ALCLHOL BLOOD LEVEL

SECOND OFFENCE.

150 £ fine
85 surcharge
40 month ban, reduced to 30 when taking the drink course which I will.

Had solicitor, was legal aid

Amazing outcome given the circumstances.

Had 2 pints and received a call from a friend who was about to commit suicide. Chose to drive and was caught on the way

Breath was 39 at the roadside. 40 and 42 at the police station

Mitigating Factors:
Emergency situation. Clean license and no prior convictions.

Aggravating Factors:
No aggravating factors.

Yes - duty solicitor who said I may be able to plead special reason. Chose not to due to the time it may have taken and the risk of increasing the ban in the long run.

Sentence:
12 month ban (reduced to 9 months with drunk driving course). £500 fine including surcharge and court costs. Duty solicitor requested a minimum payment of £150 a month but the magistrate chose to make it £100 instead.

Yes and I intend to take in due time.

Sentence Comments:
Sentence and fine were pretty much the bare minimum I could have got so I’m happy with the sentencing.

Had approx 3 drinks with soft drinks and thought ok to drive. 5 min later slid crashed car writing car off and injuring myself. No tp involved.

Breath - 70
Blood - 99

Mitigating Factors:
No previous convictions. Early guilty plea.

Aggravating Factors:
Leaving scene, car left in road.

Yes duty solicitor

Sentence:
17 months, £460 fine. £700 including court fees.

Yes

Sentence Comments:
Expected 18 months so about right.

Went to London office for meetings, ended up out for a few pints after work. Drunk a moderate amount, perhaps 4 pints 2x shots.
Left around half 10, 11. Got to station around midnight. Waited for taxi, nothing turned up. Decided the short distance 6 or so miles wasn't too far. Ended up getting lost as I don't really know the area too well outside the train station. This was in December 2022, really wild winter, really icy. Got caught on black ice and slid straight into 2 parked cars.
Blood was 120ml per 100ml and roadside reading was 70 odd.
Mitigating Factors:
Clean license, solid character reference, first ever offence, police where unusually kind to me, compliant.
Aggravating Factors:
Wrote off my own car and 2 others

Yes. Paid for a dedicated drink driving solicitor which set me back 3k. Worth it, considering court were banning me for 16 months.

Conviction:
12 months. Offered drink driving course reduced to 9 months.

What happened?
Went on a cocaine and drink binge. Consumed 1 litre of vodka uptil 5am. And cocaine. Decided I was hungry, went to get food, crashed, flipped the car, ran away. Was found, sent to hospital.

Bloods came back 200 for BZE
104 FOR ALCLHOL BLOOD LEVEL

SECOND OFFENCE.

150 £ fine
85 surcharge
40 month ban, reduced to 30 when taking the drink course which I will.

Had solicitor, was legal aid

Amazing outcome given the circumstances.

rief Description of Offence:
e.g Had a couple of drinks, thought I was ok to drive OR had argument with spouse, stupidly got into the car to drive to a friends etc (keep it brief)

Breath 112ug

Mitigating Factors:
Age (very young, under 25)
Honest about the offence. I'm in a professional job and let my employer and the professional body (I'm a student member of) know right away.
No harm or damage

Aggravating Factors:
I got out of the car to urinate in a bush and then got back in (seen on CCTV)

Yes - Duty solicitor

Sentence:
- 26 month ban (reducible by 26 weeks for taking course)
- 60 hours community service
- £219 to pay (total)

I requested this in my letter.

Sentence Comments:
I think the fine was very lenient (not complaining) as I believe I over heard that £105 of it was for court fees!

Drank over limit (3/4 pints), crashed into a parked car - stayed at the scene, arrested and not breathalysed til at the station, made attempts to blow, but didn't provide a sample. (I did try, but I know that doesn't matter now) -

Charged with suspected of having driven a vehicle and having been required to provide a specimen or specimens of breath for analysis

RT88010

Mitigating Factors:
No unspent convictions (previous minor conviction of harassment that was 12+ years ago), no criminal record

Aggravating Factors:
I hit another vehicle, The prosecution said impairment

Yes

Sentence:
- Adjourned awaiting probation pre-sentence report - No previous motor offences/convictions

Yes

**UPDATE FOLLOWING SENTENCING**

Drank over limit (3/4 pints), crashed into a parked car - stayed at the scene, arrested and not breathalysed til at the station, made attempts to blow, but didn't provide a sample. (I did try, but I know that doesn't matter now) -

Charged with suspected of having driven a vehicle and having been required to provide a specimen or specimens of breath for analysis

RT88010

Mitigating Factors:
No unspent convictions (previous minor conviction of harassment that was 12+ years ago), no criminal record

Aggravating Factors:
I hit another vehicle, The prosecution said impairment.

Yes

Sentence:

12 month community order

29 month driving ban (can be reduced with the course)

200 hours community service

15 RAR days

Fines totalling £199

Yes

**UPDATE FOLLOWING SENTENCING**

RT88010

Mitigating Factors:

Aggravating Factors:
I hit another vehicle, The prosecution said impairment.

Yes

Sentence:

12 month community order

29 month driving ban (can be reduced with the course)

200 hours community service

15 RAR days

Fines totalling £199

Yes
That seems an extremely harsh sentence James especially with no other previous drink driving convictions, seems very high end for charge.

Reactions: O88
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off