Drink Driving Sentence

Convicted Driver Insurance

thempersonalities

Hello,

I was at my hotel with my girlfriend and any room service was not available... I thought I should go to a nearby McDonald's which is a 3 minute drive away.
I stupidly, naively, thought that it is easier for me to go by car...
After the first roundabout, which was at the start of the road I've seen the blue sirens turned on (they haven't turned on the sound). I was on a pedestrian crossing but it was off-schedule. Wasn't entirely sure it was about me, there was enough room for him to take over; or I did just not want to accept it was about me, so I kept going on for less than 0.1 miles; being so insistive, I've stopped and they overtook me and parked in front me of; again this was a pedestration zone and it was literally 5-10mph.

On stopping me, they asked me to do a roadside test as I did not signalled when switching lanes (not fully sure which lanes they referred to though... but I suspect it's the one literally nearby hotel as I have to admit that I'm on holiday and that roundabout is quite huge and quite confusing; did that mistake all the way through my holiday).

I have been taken to the Police Station where I was asked a few basic questions at the reception (i.e. name, address, occupation); then I was taken to the INTOX room when I had given a breath test.
I had never had any conviction; not even a penalty point ever... Always driving careful (actually sitting in my room and working all my waking life) and I stupidly think 3 minutes is quite close, especially as I was driving inside the city centre...

Definitely, understood the lesson and would never ever attempt doing this again... Literally, did not save any time; it was 3 minute driving time, 3 minute walking time...
Now, I'm just trying to plead not guilty to save myself from a criminal record. I tried calling a few solicitors; one of them told me that I should have been in the INTOX room for about 40-50 minutes as MGDD Form is quite a lengthy form. I recall being there for a very short time and I do not recall any form being completed in the INTOX room; I have searched it myself and reading the questions that should have been read out to me do not sound familiar; thus enforcing my idea that they did not complete it.

Although I admint I do deserve the driving ban; Please do not dispute this matter; lesson learned... I would like to do my best to not have a criminal record.
I was told by a solicitor that if they have not completed the MGDD form I would have a case for defence; although it seems there are a lot of people on the internet taking up cases and do a lot of promises.

Having said all this I have a few questions:
One of the solicitors I have called said that if I was in the INTOX room for a short time, then they have not completed the MGDD form as this MUST be completed before taking my breath specimen. They said this is quite a strong defence. Is this right?

Any ideas on the solicitors I find online? Are they safe to work with or are they just good marketers? I came here for uni and then stayed around... Used to be in marketing before moving to something else ( because of the decent pay on contracts -- software dev; was a hobby of mine ); so I'm quite afraid of a marketing sham; have to admit; most look like the perfect hook, promise a lot... With well-made marketing, high pricing has nothing to do with the quality of the service.

Would definitely be happy with just accepting the case and going forward with a guilty plea. Maybe I just deserve this to happen to me...

Thanks

Last edited:
Stop!
Before you spend money on A drink drive solicitor (a good one starts at £3-4,000)
All you have to do is to write to the police station and ask for a copy of the video for your time in detention and the breath test procedure. On that you will see for yourself if the police went through the MGDDA procedure.
If you pay that money to a solicitor then all he will do initially is do just what I have described. Then if they did complete it fully you will be left with a guilty
Plea, a ban of 23-27 months....and a big bill From the solicitor!

Details of offence as provided by you:

• Specimen Type: breath
  • Alcohol Level: between 90 and 119
  • No previous drink driving related convictions within the proceeding 10 years
  • You have not been disqualified two or more times for 56 days or more within the proceeding 3 years
Based on the information you provided above, upon conviction of driving with excess alcohol, Magistrates' sentencing guidelines suggest:

• A driving disqualification of 23 - 28 months; and
  • A Low to high level community order
Classed as High Risk Offender
Because the level of alcohol in your system exceeded 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine you will be classed as a high risk offender.

High risk offenders are required to take and pass a DVLA Medical before their driving licence will be returned to them upon expiration of their driving driving disqualification.

Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course
All courts usually offer first time offenders the opportunity to take the drink driving rehabilitation course. A court may allow an offender to take the course a second time where there is a good reason to do so. Offenders will not usually be offered a chance to take the course for a third time. Completing the course can reduce any disqualification period imposed by up to 25%.

Enter New Information

Agree with Price, the chances of the police not following procedures are low & I think mine went through it very fast
I had a local solicitor to plead mitigation was abort £400
Nb this procedure is done so often it’s practically idiot proof
If you plead guilty it’s a cheaper fine & less penalty & less press hopefully
Ask for the driving course as well
It’s not easy but accepting what’s done helps you to move on - we have all been there

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off