Drink driving probable bipolar1 undiagnosed

Convicted Driver Insurance

EjJ

Does anyone have any experience with being caught drink driving (reading 85) with bipolar 1 investigation underway? I had a crazy manic episode and drank alot of vodka before driving with the intention to end my life. I am being treated now with various medication used for bipolar and eupd. I absolutely accept that i did something very wrong, but i am a carer, a blue badge holder and a single mum of 5 who is going through a break up from a domestic abuse relationship. The last thing i need is to lose my licence if there is any chance of having the ban reduced. Any advice is gratefully received

Does anyone have any experience with being caught drink driving (reading 85) with bipolar 1 investigation underway? I had a crazy manic episode and drank alot of vodka before driving with the intention to end my life. I am being treated now with various medication used for bipolar and eupd. I absolutely accept that i did something very wrong, but i am a carer, a blue badge holder and a single mum of 5 who is going through a break up from a domestic abuse relationship. The last thing i need is to lose my licence if there is any chance of having the ban reduced. Any advice is gratefully received

For a reading of 85 you will be banned for 17-22 months. Your solicitor can present mitigation in terms of you being a care giver and a single mother in order for the judge to perhaps look at sentencing in the lower portion of this range. However, a breath reading of 85 is on the higher end of the 17-22 month scale. They can not sentence outside of this scale, the minimum ban you will receive for a reading of 85 is 17 months. Make sure your solicitor requests the drink driving rehabilitation course as this will reduce your ban by 25%.

I would advise against telling the court about your relationship or your bipolar as court reporters are vultures. The last thing you need is the intricate details of your personal life plastered in a newspaper.

Reactions: EjJ
Thank you so much for your reply. I didnt even consider a 'story' in the
newspapers. Is that likely?? I fully accept whatever punishment i receive, i take full responsibility for my actions....but i dont think i could handle it being in the papers 😭

newspapers. Is that likely?? I fully accept whatever punishment i receive, i take full responsibility for my actions....but i dont think i could handle it being in the papers 😭
The press are awful I ended up in the free rag they linked my name to a previous prep release re my job so ended up with photo, my job & every detail read out in court despite there being no reporters in court that day ! A slow news day
It was my position with my job that was newsworthy
Say as little as possible
Yep it was the final twist in the saga as everyone got to know about it
But you survive although tbh that bit is still hard to deal with
So be warned & if you have a solicitor remind them not to put all your personal details into the mitigation

The chances are slim unless you say something that really pricks up the ears of the court reporter if there's one present. The less you say in court of a sensational nature, the better. Do not mention your work place if you are currently working, stick to the facts of the case, apologise and show remorse. If it's a slow news day it can happen, however at the moment it seems we don't have a lot of slow news days.

Instruct your solicitor to keep your personal details out of the mitigation. Things like you being a carer is okay, but your illness and your circumstances are best kept to yourself. I'm so sorry that you are going through what you are right now, all I can say is there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't give up, this was a mistake. It's only human to make mistakes, it's what we do after that mistake that is the measure of who we are as people.

I cannot thank you enough for your advice.. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this and the shame I feel is immeasurable. I am truly grateful, I would have gone in thinking that the judge should know everything in order to lower my ban etc. But it seems nothing will do that. Still, onwards and upwards, as they say. This has been a massive wake up call x

I cannot thank you enough for your advice.. This is the first time I have ever done anything like this and the shame I feel is immeasurable. I am truly grateful, I would have gone in thinking that the judge should know everything in order to lower my ban etc. But it seems nothing will do that. Still, onwards and upwards, as they say. This has been a massive wake up call x
Hi the beginning part of it all is awful I know been there myself I didn’t know about this forum then it does get better I promise and everyone on here are very supportive we’re all in or have been in the same boat good luck to going forward x

Its awful. I just wish it was over already!
It gets easier, once you process how you deal with things telling people, transport etc & get your head around the situation it’s easier to see a tunnel. No light yet but post court you will have a time frame. Atm the local press are busy or on furlough so fingers crossed 🤞 it’s at the most a sentence if anything
Just a day at a time , yes it will dominate you & thoughts but don’t let it define you - it was one mistake

Reactions: EjJ
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off