Drink Driving in Germany on a e-scooter, UK National

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rathmell84

A few months ago I was in Hannover, Germany, on a night out and had quite a few drinks. When I decided to go back to the hotel, I made the stupid mistake of getting on a e-scooter. As I was around the corner from the hotel when I was stopped by a police officer. Breathalysed at the scene and failed. Taken to a local police station for a blood test. I was asked for my passport and I explained that I did not have it with me and it was in the hotel. I explained to the police and the doctor I only had my work ID card which is a US Government ID card. Immediately after presenting it to the officer and the doctor, I was told I could leave. I stood up and said ok and waited for something like a summons or a fixed penalty fine. I was told to leave the police station NOW.

At first I thought that I had go away with it and didn't hear anything for a month or so, when I received a letter from the Hannover Police Commission stating that they intended to prosecute me for the misdemeanour of drink driving whilst in charge of a e-scooter. They gave me the choice of attending the court or submitting a proxy plea in English. I pleaded guilty and expressed my regret for my actions and although it might seem naive, I did not comprehend the implications. I also spoke to one of the court ushers on the telephone and I asked him what would be the typical out come. Basically he told me it depended on who the judge was and how he was feeling. He said it could be a substantial fine or a driving ban in Germany.

At the moment I am a temporary worker in Germany, I work for a UK company and contracted to work for the US Department of Defence. I am not classed a full time resident, however I have a German address which is the address I gave at the Police station when I was booked in before seeing the doctor. I still have my UK driving licence and don't plan on changing it for a Germany one after Brexit.

With all been said and done. Could the German authorities, if banned in Germany, inform the DVLA and ban me in the UK or put a DD code on my license?
Do misdemeanour show on German / EU police checks ( Good conduct records)?
If I am issued a "substantial" fine and do not pay, would the German courts apply to the UK courts to enforce the fine?

A few months ago I was in Hannover, Germany, on a night out and had quite a few drinks. When I decided to go back to the hotel, I made the stupid mistake of getting on a e-scooter. As I was around the corner from the hotel when I was stopped by a police officer. Breathalysed at the scene and failed. Taken to a local police station for a blood test. I was asked for my passport and I explained that I did not have it with me and it was in the hotel. I explained to the police and the doctor I only had my work ID card which is a US Government ID card. Immediately after presenting it to the officer and the doctor, I was told I could leave. I stood up and said ok and waited for something like a summons or a fixed penalty fine. I was told to leave the police station NOW.

At first I thought that I had go away with it and didn't hear anything for a month or so, when I received a letter from the Hannover Police Commission stating that they intended to prosecute me for the misdemeanour of drink driving whilst in charge of a e-scooter. They gave me the choice of attending the court or submitting a proxy plea in English. I pleaded guilty and expressed my regret for my actions and although it might seem naive, I did not comprehend the implications. I also spoke to one of the court ushers on the telephone and I asked him what would be the typical out come. Basically he told me it depended on who the judge was and how he was feeling. He said it could be a substantial fine or a driving ban in Germany.

At the moment I am a temporary worker in Germany, I work for a UK company and contracted to work for the US Department of Defence. I am not classed a full time resident, however I have a German address which is the address I gave at the Police station when I was booked in before seeing the doctor. I still have my UK driving licence and don't plan on changing it for a Germany one after Brexit.

With all been said and done. Could the German authorities, if banned in Germany, inform the DVLA and ban me in the UK or put a DD code on my license?
If I am issued a "substantial" fine and do not pay, would the German courts apply to the UK courts to enforce the fine?
Any ban imposed in germany does not affect you in the uk.

I've come to this forum to seek answers as I committed an drink driving offence on an e scooter in October 2019. the fine was near 1150 euros. I didn't pay it on the night as I had no card just 150 euros cash is what they took. The police let me go and then I received a letter in the post in December 2019 two months later back in the UK. I didn't pay it . Fast forward to now, I've had a UK police check for a Visa and it has now appeared on. Germany and UK do talk to each and I'm awaiting an email to my query of if I do pay the fine will it be removed from my UK record.

I've come to this forum to seek answers as I committed an drink driving offence on an e scooter in October 2019. the fine was near 1150 euros. I didn't pay it on the night as I had no card just 150 euros cash is what they took. The police let me go and then I received a letter in the post in December 2019 two months later back in the UK. I didn't pay it . Fast forward to now, I've had a UK police check for a Visa and it has now appeared on. Germany and UK do talk to each and I'm awaiting an email to my query of if I do pay the fine will it be removed from my UK record.

Paying the fine will not get it removed from the UK system. They have the conviction on file, not that there is a fine outstanding:

‘The certificate contains your complete conviction history, as recorded on police central records, including “spent” and “unspent” convictions. Additionally, the certificate contains criminal conviction information about offences committed in other foreign countries where such information has been disclosed to the UK through existing exchange mechanisms.’

So even after you have paid the fine, it will not give you a “clean sheet”.

Yes boys/girls,

exactly same situation. My BF and I got on an e scooter outside a bar in Munich in August 2020. Stupidly dropped my phone whilst crossing ( green pedestrIan crossing/tram line) as was looking at map) picked up phone and polizei rocked up asked for my ID and demanded breathalize test. We literally got 200m from said bar hotel was 1km away… anyway, they said I was over and asked me to get on the back of the car. They asked me if I knew my bf (ahead of me) I said no trying to protect him. Anyway they said well we know you are together as we have followed you from bar (creepy) so he was breathalized and he passed. They demanded do know why he was under and I was over (again Wtf) I said well he is 6ft2 I’m 5ft1) he was told to follow in scooter. I thought it was a massive joke until I was told that my blood would be taken my force if I refused, I’d be fined €500. I told them it was against my human rights to have my blood taken by force as per European Convention of Human Rights, which ironically, was introduced following World War II instigated by Germany…. I was refused to have any contact my the consulate and refused legal council. I asked if I was under arrest- they said yes- I said well you haven’t read me my rights nor have you allowed me to seek counsel from the consulate as a British Citzen. They demanded payment before I was allowed any of this.. Similar to above story I was told no card cash only… was told my family in Munich would be woken up and demanded the money if I couldn’t cough up. Anyway, was told that this is Germany not “Africa” (I’m South African as per my license) then told the officer he was being racist because wtf was that comment. Long story short, my partner had fo find atms to withdraw money but obv £300 limit.. this didn’t sit right with me. When I mentioned my rights and racists comments they put in body cams I repeated my allegations and they denied everything. I had a panic attack, ambulance called, I was calmed and my partner I was told paid the fine (in cash).. I was let go. Upon returning to UK GOT LOADS of letters demanding more money for admin fees and surrender of my UK DRIVERS Licence to enforce a two month driving ban on Germany. I ignored it. I called my local police force explained said situation - nothing on my record, not their jurisdiction (unless apparently I committed murder) but I have family in Munich.. So my question is, what is my position if I return to Germany?? Will I get arrested/fined/deported? Have you guys been back? X

Yes boys/girls,

exactly same situation. My BF and I got on an e scooter outside a bar in Munich in August 2020. Stupidly dropped my phone whilst crossing ( green pedestrIan crossing/tram line) as was looking at map) picked up phone and polizei rocked up asked for my ID and demanded breathalize test. We literally got 200m from said bar hotel was 1km away… anyway, they said I was over and asked me to get on the back of the car. They asked me if I knew my bf (ahead of me) I said no trying to protect him. Anyway they said well we know you are together as we have followed you from bar (creepy) so he was breathalized and he passed. They demanded do know why he was under and I was over (again Wtf) I said well he is 6ft2 I’m 5ft1) he was told to follow in scooter. I thought it was a massive joke until I was told that my blood would be taken my force if I refused, I’d be fined €500. I told them it was against my human rights to have my blood taken by force as per European Convention of Human Rights, which ironically, was introduced following World War II instigated by Germany…. I was refused to have any contact my the consulate and refused legal council. I asked if I was under arrest- they said yes- I said well you haven’t read me my rights nor have you allowed me to seek counsel from the consulate as a British Citzen. They demanded payment before I was allowed any of this.. Similar to above story I was told no card cash only… was told my family in Munich would be woken up and demanded the money if I couldn’t cough up. Anyway, was told that this is Germany not “Africa” (I’m South African as per my license) then told the officer he was being racist because wtf was that comment. Long story short, my partner had fo find atms to withdraw money but obv £300 limit.. this didn’t sit right with me. When I mentioned my rights and racists comments they put in body cams I repeated my allegations and they denied everything. I had a panic attack, ambulance called, I was calmed and my partner I was told paid the fine (in cash).. I was let go. Upon returning to UK GOT LOADS of letters demanding more money for admin fees and surrender of my UK DRIVERS Licence to enforce a two month driving ban on Germany. I ignored it. I called my local police force explained said situation - nothing on my record, not their jurisdiction (unless apparently I committed murder) but I have family in Munich.. So my question is, what is my position if I return to Germany?? Will I get arrested/fined/deported? Have you guys been back? X
Hi. How did this end? I am a UK national, and this exact thing happened to me last night in Berlin. I am now back in the UK.

I would appreciate any advice from your own experience.

Many thanks

Hi Rathmell1984. I’ve just had the same thing happen to me. I’m back in the UK awaiting a letter. Did you receive a fine/ban?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off