Drink Driving Enquiry

Convicted Driver Insurance

David Cable

I was sitting in my car on the driveway of my house. Police car drew up. Policeman walked over and said I had been reported for driving eratically. I was arrested and taken to the police station.
Breath sample was taken and measured at 75 mg. The legal limit is 40 mg.
I have been driving for 38 years with a clean licence. Been reading about the Drink-driving penalties. I was shocked.
Being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
3 months imprisonment - Up to £2.500 fine - a possible driving ban
Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
6 months imprisonment - an unlimited fine - Driving ban
An unlimited fine. Does this mean they can take my life savings away, taking my retirement money away and leaving me broke ?

I was sitting in my car on the driveway of my house. Police car drew up. Policeman walked over and said I had been reported for driving eratically. I was arrested and taken to the police station.
Breath sample was taken and measured at 75 mg. The legal limit is 40 mg.
I have been driving for 38 years with a clean licence. Been reading about the Drink-driving penalties. I was shocked.
Being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
3 months imprisonment - Up to £2.500 fine - a possible driving ban
Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit or unfit through drink
6 months imprisonment - an unlimited fine - Driving ban
An unlimited fine. Does this mean they can take my life savings away, taking my retirement money away and leaving me broke ?

Yes. I was sitting in my car on the driveway of my house. The engine was not running. The officer said the key was in the ignition. I am retired, living on a small works pension, less than £100 pound per week, and savings. I have been driving nearly 40 years, without an accident, or conviction. This incident has prompted me to sell up, and retire to Spain. Trying to find a positive aspect, to a deeply upsetting event, although it is not the only reason for such a move.

I believe the charge will be Drink Driving. I was at 75 mg. Legal limit is 40 mg. A ban will be inevitable. Should I be worried about a custodial sentance ? Will one hearing be sufficient ? Shall I just plead guilty, and present mitigating circumstances (regarding my mental health) ?. I am in the process of retiring to Spain, and would like to draw a line under this unfortunate affair, in order to move on.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off