Drink Drive Medical - strenuous exercise

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jon41

I have my drink drive medical around end of September this year. At present I have not drank for 6 weeks and overall very little since January, possibly 4 nights out with a max of 6 pints. I also take milk thistle tablets everyday.

My worry is I do large amounts of strenuous exercise such as running and weight lifting most days of the week.

Reading through the internet there is reference to muscle damage or fatigue from exercise leading to the release of ALT and AST into the bloodstream? This is very worrying as you don't want to fail your medical for being a fitness fanatic?

I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

I have my drink drive medical around end of September this year. At present I have not drank for 6 weeks and overall very little since January, possibly 4 nights out with a max of 6 pints. I also take milk thistle tablets everyday.

My worry is I do large amounts of strenuous exercise such as running and weight lifting most days of the week.

Reading through the internet there is reference to muscle damage or fatigue from exercise leading to the release of ALT and AST into the bloodstream? This is very worrying as you don't want to fail your medical for being a fitness fanatic?

I would appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

Can do yeah, in fact the results can be similar to those seen as a result of alcoholism (AST:ALT ratio > 2.0) because AST is more prominent in skeletal muscle (and the transient increase in transaminase levels is probably due to acute exercise induced muscle damage). But if you've been training regularly its not likely that you'd fail because of this because its most noticable in beginner. Remember how when you started you would be really stiff for up to 72 hours later, but now you're not - it's the same concept (repeated bout effect). Just don't markedly increase your volume or start doing more eccentric work. Also the doctor will ask about your exercise patterns.

Can do yeah, in fact the results can be similar to those seen as a result of alcoholism (AST:ALT ratio > 2.0) because AST is more prominent in skeletal muscle (and the transient increase in transaminase levels is probably due to acute exercise induced muscle damage). But if you've been training regularly its not likely that you'd fail because of this because its most noticable in beginner. Remember how when you started you would be really stiff for up to 72 hours later, but now you're not - it's the same concept (repeated bout effect). Just don't markedly increase your volume or start doing more eccentric work. Also the doctor will ask about your exercise patterns.

Well there you go you can fail due to being a fitness fanatic! Crazy I am in the army and I will be on a very physical exercise before my medical.

Can you explain this to the DVLA?

Thank you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off