DR1 Questionnaire - questions

Convicted Driver Insurance

C501

Hello

I've been looking online at the DR1 Questionnaire form and a I have some questions about it...

1. Is the questionnaire carried out and filled out by the doctor during the medical examination?

2. The questionnaire asks for your doctors name, and the address of your GP surgery.
I can't remember the last time I visited my GP surgery, it must be over ten years and I cannot remember which doctor I saw.
Will I be okay to just provide the address? Or should I contact my surgery and request the name of my doctor?

3. Do you think the fact I haven't visited my doctor for so long work for or against me during the decision making process (if they decide to contact my GP)?
Could be viewed as good because I've had no health issues related to alcohol.
Could be bad as my doctor hasn't ever seen me so has no idea of my current health status.

4. Do all HRO's have to carry out the medical questionnaire or is it only for those considered alcohol misusers or dependents?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello

I've been looking online at the DR1 Questionnaire form and a I have some questions about it...

1. Is the questionnaire carried out and filled out by the doctor during the medical examination?

2. The questionnaire asks for your doctors name, and the address of your GP surgery.
I can't remember the last time I visited my GP surgery, it must be over ten years and I cannot remember which doctor I saw.
Will I be okay to just provide the address? Or should I contact my surgery and request the name of my doctor?

3. Do you think the fact I haven't visited my doctor for so long work for or against me during the decision making process (if they decide to contact my GP)?
Could be viewed as good because I've had no health issues related to alcohol.
Could be bad as my doctor hasn't ever seen me so has no idea of my current health status.

4. Do all HRO's have to carry out the medical questionnaire or is it only for those considered alcohol misusers or dependents?

Thanks

C501

Good morning. I will try and answer your questions as best I can.

1 - If you are a HRO coming towards the end of your ban, there are a couple of questionaires to fill out. There is one medical questionnaire the DVLA doctor will go through with you at your HRO appointment.

2 - I am registered at a surgery with multiple GP's - and two of the older doctors have retired in the last 12 months. You will be perfectly fine just providing the name & address of the surgery without a specific GP name.

As for dates - I struggle with this one too. I would perhaps use some post-it notes and add these to the medical form just to emphasise your answers. I hate wild guessing, but sadly alot of the questions fall down to wild guessing dates that I always feel uncomfortable about.

3 - To answer this question straight - 'NO'. There is an old saying - 'if it hasn't been written down, it hasn't happened'. If you haven't visited the GP in ten years, as far as the DVLA are concerned there will be no identifiable issues with alcohol.

Please be mindful if you have been admitted to hospital or attended any out patient clinics, records are held on a central NHS database, so even if you haven't been to the GP surgery, you will have to disclose anything of this nature if it relates to anything relevant.

4 - HRO's do have to complete an initial medical questionaire on a A4 paper format. I have a history of recorded alcohol problems, so as soon as I declared them, I was sent additional forms to complete. I would think in your case, there won't be any additional forms to complete. It should be pretty straight forward.

I hope this helps.

CJ

C501

Good morning. I will try and answer your questions as best I can.

1 - If you are a HRO coming towards the end of your ban, there are a couple of questionaires to fill out. There is one medical questionnaire the DVLA doctor will go through with you at your HRO appointment.

2 - I am registered at a surgery with multiple GP's - and two of the older doctors have retired in the last 12 months. You will be perfectly fine just providing the name & address of the surgery without a specific GP name.

As for dates - I struggle with this one too. I would perhaps use some post-it notes and add these to the medical form just to emphasise your answers. I hate wild guessing, but sadly alot of the questions fall down to wild guessing dates that I always feel uncomfortable about.

3 - To answer this question straight - 'NO'. There is an old saying - 'if it hasn't been written down, it hasn't happened'. If you haven't visited the GP in ten years, as far as the DVLA are concerned there will be no identifiable issues with alcohol.

Please be mindful if you have been admitted to hospital or attended any out patient clinics, records are held on a central NHS database, so even if you haven't been to the GP surgery, you will have to disclose anything of this nature if it relates to anything relevant.

4 - HRO's do have to complete an initial medical questionaire on a A4 paper format. I have a history of recorded alcohol problems, so as soon as I declared them, I was sent additional forms to complete. I would think in your case, there won't be any additional forms to complete. It should be pretty straight forward.

I hope this helps.

CJ
Thanks very much for your reply CJ. That’s helped clear things up.

Hello C501

It might be helpful to contact your GP surgery and make a phone appointment with your named GP.
Then you will have a name that the DVLA can address their letter to, and you will have had a conversation with the GP so that when they receive the form they will recall this, and it will help them to complete the form, hopefully positively . If not they would have to just write that they don’t know you, and may not even return the form. This could delay things, and the DVLA wouldn’t chase it up.
Take a photo of the form you return to the DVLA, and use that information when you speak with your GP. This will mean that what he fills in broadly is the same as the info you submitted.
There are so many stories on here that emphasise the importance of not leaving anything to chance…..nurse it through the system yourself!
Once you know that the GP is being written to, which if you are an HRO will most likely happen, I’d phone reception and let them know the letter is on the way and to please make sure it only gets to the named GP
Good Luck

Jane

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off