Does my son have a chance

Convicted Driver Insurance

Orchidlady

My son has been charged with Drink driving, driving with due care and attention and leaving the scene of the accident. He was driving home from work (12.30 at night) and lost control of his car and crashed into a wall. No one was around and mobile phone was dead and no one injured buy him. . He walked home and had several drinks as was shaken up. He intended to go and speak to the owner of the wall but he was then advised by someone to call the police who turned up at 2.00 in the morning. He was given a blood test which showed 86 milligrammes per 100 which was taken at 6.30, how reliable is this?. He has pleaded not guilty to the Drink Driving but we have been told this could cost 1000's to defend. Does he have a case? Thank you

Good Afternoon,

To run the defence your son is considering, not only does he need a good lawyer but he also needs a medical report to show what he drank accounted for his reading. This is why it costs so much, but if it is done properly it can lead to an acquittal. A lot of it would boil down to how good your son is at giving his evidence to the Court, but if he is believed he should be acquitted.

I hope this helps
Regards
Martin.

Thank you. When the police arrived he was clearly drinking, how would get around getting a medical report. He has pleaded guilty to leaving the scene of the accident and driving with undue care an attention. He is new driver so guess he will loose his licence anyway. For the record he would present very well in court. But as parents we don't want to spend thousands if little chance.

You cannot get around the report I am afraid. It is something the Court would need.

As to the offence, yes I think there is a good chance he would lose his licence in either scenario but obviously it would be for a lot longer if the alcohol charge is on top of the other two. Also, if he isn't guilty of the drink driving, the Court may not be happy with him pleading guilty, as when he tells them his side of it they will surely question this aspect.

I would not advise trying to get a medical report without a solicitor. This is something you can do but the chances of success are far less without a solicitor preparing the matter.

An unequivocal plea is when you try to plead guilty but explain to the Court that you are in fact not guilty. They can stop you pleading guilty if the facts are that you (or in this case your son) did not do it.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off