Doctor confidentuality

Convicted Driver Insurance

jessop

Hi there. This is my first ever post on this group page.
I have been a bit concerned about my drinking habits for the past 2 years or so. I tend to drink around 6-8 pints of beer per evening. occasionally more but rarely. I also have the odd few days off from it here and there. I dont suffer from depression or anything like that. I just enjoy beer. I am starting a new job soon so was planning on cutting down loads of drinking in the week anyway. That is because of the driving commute plus want to be really fresh/new start for my new job.
Anyway thought better go to Doctors for a chat etc. So far have had a phone conversation and have a proper appointment this coming Tuesday.
I am very concerned now as realise that the Dr could advise the DVLA that i am "unfit to drive" therefore loose my licence. This would be a disaster as would loose new job as cant commute any other way.
Has anyone else been in the situation before? On the one hand I want to be honest with my Doctor but on the other they could ruin something which was originally controllable (if that makes sense).
Thanks for reading.

Have a read here - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/revoked-at-22-for-misuse.123106/#post-149727

This can happen. This person was drinking about 5 times less the units per week than you currently are consuming. Doctors do not have the time to report everyone they think are drinking too much, however, your doctor is supposed to report any concerns about your drinking to the DVLA. It's a rock and a hard place, you need help but the help may cause you loss. All I'll say is, in all my years of engaging with my GP over my drinking I was never reported but we have a very strong relationship.

Have a read here - https://www.forum.drinkdriving.org/threads/revoked-at-22-for-misuse.123106/#post-149727

This can happen. This person was drinking about 5 times less the units per week than you currently are consuming. Doctors do not have the time to report everyone they think are drinking too much, however, your doctor is supposed to report any concerns about your drinking to the DVLA. It's a rock and a hard place, you need help but the help may cause you loss. All I'll say is, in all my years of engaging with my GP over my drinking I was never reported but we have a very strong relationship.
thank you for the reply. I am currently panicking. I did believe there is a code of practice and guidance on this which i have read. However, sounds like some docotors dont bother to go by that guidance.

Hi there. This is my first ever post on this group page.
I have been a bit concerned about my drinking habits for the past 2 years or so. I tend to drink around 6-8 pints of beer per evening. occasionally more but rarely. I also have the odd few days off from it here and there. I dont suffer from depression or anything like that. I just enjoy beer. I am starting a new job soon so was planning on cutting down loads of drinking in the week anyway. That is because of the driving commute plus want to be really fresh/new start for my new job.
Anyway thought better go to Doctors for a chat etc. So far have had a phone conversation and have a proper appointment this coming Tuesday.
I am very concerned now as realise that the Dr could advise the DVLA that i am "unfit to drive" therefore loose my licence. This would be a disaster as would loose new job as cant commute any other way.
Has anyone else been in the situation before? On the one hand I want to be honest with my Doctor but on the other they could ruin something which was originally controllable (if that makes sense).
Thanks for reading.
Good for you for having such courage and self awareness. You say you enjoy beer , but I think you are not enjoying it quite as much really as you indicate you feel a need to drink less . This is really positive . I don’t know anything re Drs reporting to DVLA but Im sure you can emphasise that you never drink / drive : even by default the next day . Have a look and see if in your area there are any self refer voluntary organisations that offer alcohol support . Good luck with everything

If it were me, I'd never admit to any doctors that I drink any more than the arbitrary figure of 14 units a week, even though I do.

If it were me, I'd never admit to any doctors that I drink any more than the arbitrary figure of 14 units a week, even though I do.
in hindsight yes good point. alas i already admited more in the phone call sadly. its a horrible position to be in. I am hopeing my Dr wlill give soem leeway. Because of Doctor/patient confindentuality.

in hindsight yes good point. alas i already admited more in the phone call sadly. its a horrible position to be in. I am hopeing my Dr wlill give soem leeway. Because of Doctor/patient confindentuality.

Doctor patient confidentiality does not exist with the DVLA. A doctor is duty bound by oath to report anything that they believe may bring harm to another person. Same as if I, for example, told a therapist I had been driving over the limit during a bad bout of drinking, they are duty bound to report me as it is a behaviour that may cause injury or death to another person.

Whether or not the doctor actually reports on their findings is another matter, but they are supposed to.

thank you for the replies. I do appreciate it.
I suppose ill have to cross the bridge tomorow and see what the doctor says. I have realsied im not drinking quite as much as I thought. more like 6-8 cans rather than actual "pints" although that probably wont make a massive difference. If I explain that I dont drink and drive (take the train to work most days etc) Then maybe they will be a bit more lenient. Fingers crossed!

an update. Went to doctor today. had a really good chat. im due for soem blood tests but as of time of year and delay in appointments got until jan 6th. I explained that i wanted help to reduce my drinking etc. So all good there he has reffered me to a local group for some support etc. I also explained that I never ever drink and drive. I also said that I take the train to work most mornings. he seemed satisfied that I understand and still have some standards (which is true). All in all a positive experience so far.
Ill update further in the new year once ive had my blood tests etc. At least it gives me 3 weeks to at least get my drinking a bit more sensible too.
Again thanks all for the advie so far.

Before I knew about doctors potentially reporting you, I told my doctor 5.5 years ago that I drank too much. They didn't report me, so you may be ok.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off