Do I have to tell my insurance on a possible drink driving course

Convicted Driver Insurance

Chelsearyan

Hi
So I blew 48 at road side and had to take a urine sample at the station this has been sent off and can take up to 6 weeks
My car has been damaged and sent to compound, I need to speak to my insurance to get this fixed can I call them and say it was a crash or do I have to mention the drink driving even though I have not. Been charged. As yet

I have just looked at an insurance claim form - one picked at random.
it asks among other things: “what cause the accident to happen?”
You then sign a declaration at the end which says, in part, “I have sought to provide all information relating to my claim and I understand that telephone calls made to and from Combined Insurance’s Claims and Customer Services Department may be recorded for training and claims validation purposes.”
if you do not mention the investigation into the drink driving then you will have big problems if you do end up over the limit and will face considerable difficulty will insurance in the future.
I would tell them about it. Maybe (if you feel this is true) tell them you are confident that you were NOT over the limit and they may pause the case until you have the result.
With insurance companies, honesty is always the best option, in my opinion.

Thank you for that I did think so... I didn’t think 48 was that high at road side what a lesson learnt I just need my car fixed and back on the road before a possible ban! :(

What was the delay between the roadside breath test and the second urine sample?
How long before the roadside breath test did you last have a drink and what was it?

You would be likely be at the peak of your reading when you blew 48 At the roadside, but the roadside one is only indicative and can be out by a few point either way.
if it was correct, and 2 hours had elapsed at least, then you should be just under the limit on the urine sample.

Sorry what does at peak mean Iv never been arrested and it was a horrific moment for me I’m praying that I’m under I would loose my whole life if I get banned, I’m type 1 diabetic so I hope, they take that into consideration aswell

Sadly the type 1 diabetes would make no difference if you were to be over, the only mitigation is in relation to the offence.
by peak I mean that when you start drinking you start to absorb the alcohol quite quickly, then after about half an hour your liver starts to eliminate it.
There comes a time when you are at your highest reading of alcohol in your body which is soon after you stop drinking, the liver is getting rid of alcohol and you are not taking any more in, so the sequence is your reading goes up.... reaches a peak.....(well in fact a plateau for a little while where it stays the same) then it starts to fall because no alcohol is being absorbed and the liver is eliminating what is left.
what you need is enough time for your reading (if correct at 48) to reduce to below 35 in breath or 113 in urine.
are you male or female? Your name on hear does not make that clear.

That is even better.
The reading for females falls faster that in males as each unit of alcohol represents about 7 on a breath test for males but almost 12 for females. With a typical reduction of 1 unit per hour that would mean your breath equivalent 2 hours after the hand held reading would have been 24 - which 72 in urine against the Legal limit of 107 (sorry I see I wrongly put the legal limit as 113 in my previous post) and they make a reduction in the actual result given to the police against what the real reading was. Your result should come back under 70.

hi
Sorry what does
‘They make a reduction in the actual result given to the police against what the real reading was. Your result should come back under 70‘

your so much help thank you!!

Sorry, it isn’t easy for someone with no previous experience of this!
if you pay for a sample to be analysed yourself, as a paying customer they say “your reading WAS x.”
when the police send their sample to their laboratory (which is an independent one, not their own) they analyze the sample and reach the result “x” they then reply to the police and say “hand on heart, take her licence away, the result is ‘x minus 6‘ or 6% whichever is the lesser number.
So if, for example, you had your sample (if you accepted one and chose to pay to have it analysed) back with a reading of 72 in urine, the police would be told that their sample result was 66.

Yes you can, click on my name, then click on “Start conversation” the same type of window opens but when you send the message it just comes to me rather than appear on the main forum.

If what you have said is accurate, you should be about 65-70% of the legal limit, so ‘comfortably’ under.
It can be open to the Police to do a ‘back calculation’. This is where they take your urine result and ask the laboratory “OK, so the result was xx at zzhrs, what would it have been at zz-2 when she had the accident?”
I would not worry too much about that as it is usually only done where there is serious injury, and to do that they have to ask you what your height, weight etc is on a questionnaire. If they did not do this at the time then I doubt they are contemplating it.
if the police should come back to you other than to say no further action because you are under.... and ask you to attend for an interview then you should seek legal advice before you attend the interview.

Just gotta keep my fingers crossed when will I likely hear back?
Should I chase my solicitor to see what’s going on? Or leave it?

Your solicitor will not know what is happening, it is just a waiting game. The result will come from the police to you, not the solicitor. They should tell you if you are under, but sometimes they forget and just mark the file “no further action”. if you ARE over you can rest assured that you will receive a summons in the post, or - as I said before,, a request to go for an interview in which case that is when you contact the solicitor.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off