Dg10 endorsment

Convicted Driver Insurance
That would be a breach of the law for certain.
what type of employment are you talking about?

The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act states that by law, you are required to disclose your criminal record for 5 years after conviction if you are issued an endorsement, but only if you are asked. If you go for car insurance for example (or an employer asks you if you have a record), you have to declare it for 5 years despite some actual endorsements disappearing from your licence after 4 years. A DG10 stays on your licence for 11 years though, so anyone having access to your licence details will see the offence for the full 11 years.
Hi BigTom/Price..

i have just checked gov.uk website and found the below about endorsements. Could you please confirm after 5 years the endorsement is only visible to DVLA and courts - not to insurers and those who check through vehicle check codes.

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-04-02 130138.png
    Screenshot 2021-04-02 130138.png
    71.1 KB · Views: 11
If you give an employer a check code and they use it, a DG10 will not show up after 5 years. If you give them your personal identity, including your national insurance number and they use those instead of the check code, it will show up for 11 years because DVLA will think it is you asking in person.

Just IT within an insurance company.
If they felt that your job required an “enhanced DBS check” they would do one, but for an ordinary job in insurance I would not expect this to be the case. This leaves them with a simple criminal record check and after 5 years your conviction is spent for those purposes so they have no right to ask about “all” criminal offences. You can honestly answer NO to the question.

Hi BigTom/Price..

i have just checked gov.uk website and found the below about endorsements. Could you please confirm after 5 years the endorsement is only visible to DVLA and courts - not to insurers and those who check through vehicle check codes.

Thanks,

Sam
@firemansam007 That is correct (according to Unlock charity). If an insurer (or anybody else) uses your information in the way that Price mentions without your permission, they are committing a criminal offence themselves. Data and information can only be used for the reason it was collected, or the reason you gave permission for it to be used., any other use is strictly prohibited.

@Hobgoblin The ROA is categorical in respect to the law regarding spent convictions. An employer may ask to carry out a DBS which may show up spent convictions, but to ask you specifically to tick a box to say you have a spent conviction is illegal. I understand your reluctance to challenge them on this, so I would not tick the box. If you are later disciplined for 'lying' , you have the law to back you up.

Hi Price,

Thanks for the response. I understand we also need to provide our Driving license number, along with NI number and post code to view our Driving license information.

I believe it's illegal for an employer to do this check instead of a check code provided by ourselves. Is that right?

Thanks,

Sam

Yes, a breach of the Data Protection Act.... bit you have to prove they did it that way!

@firemansam007 That is correct (according to Unlock charity). If an insurer (or anybody else) uses your information in the way that Price mentions without your permission, they are committing a criminal offence themselves. Data and information can only be used for the reason it was collected, or the reason you gave permission for it to be used., any other use is strictly prohibited.

@Hobgoblin The ROA is categorical in respect to the law regarding spent convictions. An employer may ask to carry out a DBS which may show up spent convictions, but to ask you specifically to tick a box to say you have a spent conviction is illegal. I understand your reluctance to challenge them on this, so I would not tick the box. If you are later disciplined for 'lying' , you have the law to back you up.

Yes, I do click 'No ' on this, as you rightly say, it is illegal to ask.

I had a basic DBS check (along with all my dept) in 2011 which showed nothing (have a DD conviction from 1994).

Hi everyone,

apologies to pop in the conversation this late, I had a question relevant to this post. I was sentenced DG10 on 9th October and when I checked on DVLA's website few days after, it said
Start date: 9 Oct 2020
End date: 8 Oct 2021
Conviction date: 9 Oct 2020
Removal date: 9 Oct 2024

This is a 4 year endorsement just like in neebob200's case... however a week back, now that my ban got lifted, I checked again since insurance people kept telling me my license is showing as expired (been 2 weeks since I sent DVLA my renewal form with £65). NOW the DVLA website states the following:
Start date: 9 Oct 2020
End date: 8 Oct 2021
Conviction date: 9 Oct 2020
Removal date: 9 Oct 2031

The removal date has jumped from 4 years to 11 years. To my understanding I think the government has recently changed the 4year endorsement for DG10 to 11years, as I'm checking on different places for previous rulings, such as Wikipedia which only got updated somewhere around mid-2020.

Is this something I can take up with the court or should I do my homework first? I know the current link on gov.uk does say its 11years of endorsement for a DG10 but back in 2020 near my court dates I kept reading 4yrs or 11yrs depending on the court.

Nothing has changed in reality. I don't know why the Database showed the ‘ordinary’ removal offence date (for all other motoring offences other than drink to drug driving) but what you are seeing now is correct, drug driving is declarable for 5 years when seeking employment because it is not spent until then, and can also have a material effect on insurance.
BUT it remains on your licence record for 11 years.
As has been detailed earlier in this thread, if your prospective employer or agency does a check with your date of birth and national insurance number on the DVLA database it will show the conviction as being on your record for 11 years. If they have a policy of only employing people with a ‘clean’ licence then you will not get employed.

There is no point in contacting the court, it is nothing to do with them. They just disqualified you and notified DVLA. They do not stipulate how long it remains on your driving licence record.
The current Drug Driving legislation came out in 2015, and since then it has been the case that a DG10 remains on your record for 11 years, due to the fact that a second conviction in 10 years leads to a minimum 3 year ban.

Reactions: a4a
Nothing has changed in reality. I don't know why the Database showed the ‘ordinary’ removal offence date (for all other motoring offences other than drink to drug driving) but what you are seeing now is correct, drug driving is declarable for 5 years when seeking employment because it is not spent until then, and can also have a material effect on insurance.
As has been detailed earlier in this thread, if your prospective employer or agency does a check with your date of birth and national insurance number on the DVLA database it will show the conviction as being on your record for 11 years. If they have a policy of only employing people with a ‘clean’ licence then you will not get employed.

There is no point in contacting the court, it is nothing to do with them. They just disqualified you and notified DVLA. They do not stipulate how long it remains on your driving licence record.
The current Drug Driving legislation came out in 2015, and since then it has been the case that a DG10 remains on your record for 11 years, due to the fact that a second conviction in 10 years leads to a minimum 3 year ban.

Thats a shame, I do realize its likely a mistake when they showed the 4-year date. It just made my trauma resurface, just as intense as what I went through last year.. sadly on their part it was only a mistake but it made me believe that I will be over this mess in 4 years time..

I even have a screenshot of it saying 2024 from last year, its deeply saddening how that one mistake will have repurcussions for another decade now.

Mate may I ask why have they repeated this mistake with at least two other members in this forum? I would like to know whay happened in their case, if they noticed any change on the removal dates lately.

I do not have a clue why DVLA would put an incorrect removal date on a driver licence record. It may be as simple as all records of points etc have the default position of 4 years removal applied automatically, and they then have to manually alter the records to 11 years for those have have that stipulation.
All I can do is quote what the legal position is, and always has been: a DG10 or DR10 endorsement remains on a driving licence record for 11 years.
You will have to ask DVLA why this is, but it will not alter the legal position you are in, it will remain on your driver record for 11 years so you have to accept this.

Mate may I ask why have they repeated this mistake with at least two other members in this forum? I would like to know whay happened in their case, if they noticed any change on the removal dates lately.
Hi ace.hope your well.i have a dg10 on my licence.convicted 11th march 2019 banned until 15th June 2020 e.g. 15 months.removal date on the driving licence checker is 11 th march 2023.they will get round to me shortly I suppose.

Hi ace.hope your well.i have a dg10 on my licence.convicted 11th march 2019 banned until 15th June 2020 e.g. 15 months.removal date on the driving licence checker is 11 th march 2023.they will get round to me shortly I suppose.
Hi neebob200,
I hope you dont get yours increased. 4 and 11 is a big difference.

Hi neebob200,
I hope you dont get yours increased. 4 and 11 is a big difference.
EVERYONE has a DR10 or a DG10 remain on their licence record for 11 years. It is not a matter of luck, it is the LAW, I thought I had made that clear to you!!!
Please do not raise false hope in people, and they can see that it is 11 years here on the this link:

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points

(this link says about points, but these are only imposed if there are exceptional circumstances to not disqualify…. BUT it still shows 11 years for removal)

the 11 year rule has been in place since at least 1983 for drink driving and since 2015 for drug driving (which was when the new drug driving law with specific limits was introduced)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off