Delayed medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Angelcat

I have had a letter from DVLA saying they require a medical to complete enquires. I was expecting this as have had yearly licence for a few years for previous alcohol misuse. They are unable to offer a date at present and will commit to no time frame. While I am not expecting a problem with the actual medical, the stress of waiting is not doing me any good. I appreciate the circumstances etc. Wondered if anyone has any advice or experience recently. I am in the Midlands but willing to travel further afield . I would like to have it sorted by Christmas..... optimistic??

Are you saying that you have had a yearly licence up until now, For 2,3,4,years and you are re applying for another one?

Hi Angel out of curiosity for the last two years on a temp licence have you supplied regular LFTs or have you just filled out the paperwork and reapplied thanks ?
I supplied a couple of lfts and ggt tests following revocation of licence initially. I lost it as I couldn’t evidence 6 months controlled drinking/abstinence following a less than anonymous report to DVLA by my ex husband. Since then I have never specifically gone to request bloods, but have been done as part of yearly review prior to informing GP licence application has been made.

I supplied a couple of lfts and ggt tests following revocation of licence initially. I lost it as I couldn’t evidence 6 months controlled drinking/abstinence following a less than anonymous report to DVLA by my ex husband. Since then I have never specifically gone to request bloods, but have been done as part of yearly review prior to informing GP licence application has been made.
Thanks for that Angel ...../

Based on my experience, my advice on bascis to anyone setting out on this journey of several years renewal is ; realise in this time it can be very stressful.

- Get to know your GP as well as you can , as th will likely be depending on remembering you as you go thru the yearly renewals.

- GPs will likely be delighted to support the progress of someone who’s keen on tackling alcohol problems

- Maybe agree upfront to be in touch with the practice people for a few LFTs during the year. As such u don’t need to set up return GP visits for this routine task.

- Track all progress with forms submitted and received. Geta copy of all forms including gp report

- be clear with all that date of last drink and ensure the GP records it on the medical form.

- stick to facts and dates when dealing with the Dvla call people

thats about it in my experience. - good luck

Based on my experience, my advice on bascis to anyone setting out on this journey of several years renewal is ; realise in this time it can be very stressful.

- Get to know your GP as well as you can , as th will likely be depending on remembering you as you go thru the yearly renewals.

- GPs will likely be delighted to support the progress of someone who’s keen on tackling alcohol problems

- Maybe agree upfront to be in touch with the practice people for a few LFTs during the year. As such u don’t need to set up return GP visits for this routine task.

- Track all progress with forms submitted and received. Geta copy of all forms including gp report

- be clear with all that date of last drink and ensure the GP records it on the medical form.

- stick to facts and dates when dealing with the Dvla call people

thats about it in my experience. - good luck
Thanks for that. Everything has been done as you suggest, I am waiting on an independent medical, had same last year with no problem. Covid has obviously delayed everything this year and I am just wondering if anyone else in the same situation has managed to get booked in.

Thanks for that. Everything has been done as you suggest, I am waiting on an independent medical, had same last year with no problem. Covid has obviously delayed everything this year and I am just wondering if anyone else in the same situation has managed to get booked in.
I guess if u can find someone who will do the medical and is approved that may work. Might be difficult ethically for DVLA to turn that down. I’m guessing they don’t have local knowledge of who’s open and who’s not on a month to month basis ? Only guessing

Hi Angel. I am in a similar position to you, third year of temporary annual licence renewal. I received the DVLA letter advising I must have a medical but none taking place. I didn't want to leave it too long driving under S88, for various reasons. So, I contacted the GP who last did my DVLA medical, this was mid September and they told me they are doing the DVLA medicals. I then phoned DVLA, relayed this information and DVLA sent the paperwork to my chosen surgery. Medical was done 48 hours after paperwork was received. That was just under 2 weeks ago and I am waiting to hear if a new licence is approved. There is also a list on this forum somewhere of DVLA approved doctors. You could contact them or the GP who last did your DVLA medical, then contact DVLA with a suggested Dr (it was more straightforward than I was expecting). I also have not supplied DVLA with LFT/GGT results. They have worked off the medical and GP reports in my case, so far. Maybe try that, Good luck.

I guess if u can find someone who will do the medical and is approved that may work. Might be difficult ethically for DVLA to turn that down. I’m guessing they don’t have local knowledge of who’s open and who’s not on a month to month basis ? Only guessing
If I could get hold of an approved list I would happily ring round and see if I could get something, travelling a reasonable distance not a problem. On the other hand I could just sit tight and wait! Patience and tolerance....

Think I googled “ Dvla approved doctors near me “. I think the MCA approved list pops up which includes maritime ( MCA) medicals. It’s a good starting point. From this it was easy to phone around the London area listed ones and ask if they did routine DVLA medicals. Take it from me , plenty availability. As its only a 10 minute appointment for a doctor and well paid , they will fit u in , no matter. I informed the DVLA I had several options. They said they couldn’t keep track on a surgery by surgery basis who was open and who not. But they sent the paperwork to one and I’m getting a medical this week. Good luck with yours. Never a dull day with the DVLA.

If I could get hold of an approved list I would happily ring round and see if I could get something, travelling a reasonable distance not a problem. On the other hand I could just sit tight and wait! Patience and tolerance....

Try this list, but not all of them are approved for DVLA HRO medical, it is actually a list of approved doctors for Maritime medicalS.......

Try this list, but not all of them are approved for DVLA HRO medical, it is actually a list of approved doctors for Maritime medicalS.......

That’s it. As close as I could find. Just a matter of recognising them , or simply ringing them up. They will say they need Dvla paperwork to book an appointment , so u need to ring Dvla to progress that

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off