DD and No insurance, now going to AA meetings

Convicted Driver Insurance

Reco Alco

I'm due in court on Wednesday (18th Sept) and am beyond nervous about my fate.
My story: BH wknd and was working in a busy pub with a late license. Drank on shift, namely shots of Jaeger with the customers throughout the course of my shift. At the end of my shift (approx 2am) I decided to drive to by BF's on A roads and M25. It's a 20 mile journey but the roads were quiet (concerned the distance will be held against me)

I got pulled!! I blew 76 at the roadside and my lowest reading at the station was 63.

Some days earlier, my car insurance ran out. A genuine honest mistake, I forgot to renew but this mistake was the flag for me to get pulled.
I was also driving fast, most probably over the speed limit although this wasnt on my charge sheet (is it likely they will mention speeding in court if it wasnt mentioned on my charge sheet?)

I was very cooperative with the police and remorseful at the station. I understand this will go in my favour.

Since being arrested and held in a cell for 8 hours I have taken the decision to seek help for alcohol dependency. I acknowledge I am an addict and seeked help through my doctor and other friends who I know have joined the fellowship. I have now been completely sober for 12 days.

How or even should I broach this in court? I would like the judge to know I have learned a tough lesson and taking responsibility for what is the bigger issue. I have began on a path of life long sobriety and am determined to stay clean forever. I've told close friends and family of my attention and for the most part everyone has been very supportive of my commitment to stay sober.
I am prepared to pay my penance but is it wise to tell the courts of my recent committal to abstinence?
From similar threads I gauge the punishment will be 17-22 month ban and a hefty fine, will my admittance be likely to increase the length of the ban or could it lessen the term? I just dont know what to do for the best!

N.B this is my first offence and I have held a clean driving licence for over 15 years
Thank you.

My story: BH wknd and was working in a busy pub with a late license. Drank on shift, namely shots of Jaeger with the customers throughout the course of my shift. At the end of my shift (approx 2am) I decided to drive to by BF's on A roads and M25. It's a 20 mile journey but the roads were quiet (concerned the distance will be held against me)

I got pulled!! I blew 76 at the roadside and my lowest reading at the station was 63.

Some days earlier, my car insurance ran out. A genuine honest mistake, I forgot to renew but this mistake was the flag for me to get pulled.
I was also driving fast, most probably over the speed limit although this wasnt on my charge sheet (is it likely they will mention speeding in court if it wasnt mentioned on my charge sheet?)

I was very cooperative with the police and remorseful at the station. I understand this will go in my favour.

Since being arrested and held in a cell for 8 hours I have taken the decision to seek help for alcohol dependency. I acknowledge I am an addict and seeked help through my doctor and other friends who I know have joined the fellowship. I have now been completely sober for 12 days.

How or even should I broach this in court? I would like the judge to know I have learned a tough lesson and taking responsibility for what is the bigger issue. I have began on a path of life long sobriety and am determined to stay clean forever. I've told close friends and family of my attention and for the most part everyone has been very supportive of my commitment to stay sober.
I am prepared to pay my penance but is it wise to tell the courts of my recent committal to abstinence?
From similar threads I gauge the punishment will be 17-22 month ban and a hefty fine, will my admittance be likely to increase the length of the ban or could it lessen the term? I just dont know what to do for the best!

N.B this is my first offence and I have held a clean driving licence for over 15 years
Thank you.

Hi Reco

Your brave admitting your alcohol problems and well done dealing with same, your own admittance to being dependant will be logged into the Doctors notes which you will be expected to be completely abstinent for a whole year backed up with Doctors proof, you should get full left blood check every 8 weeks or you may fail to satisfy the dvla of your sobriety , insist the doctor takes these blood checks some doctors are niaeve about the seriousness of the dvla's requirements

Hi Reco

Your brave admitting your alcohol problems and well done dealing with same, your own admittance to being dependant will be logged into the Doctors notes which you will be expected to be completely abstinent for a whole year backed up with Doctors proof, you should get full left blood check every 8 weeks or you may fail to satisfy the dvla of your sobriety , insist the doctor takes these blood checks some doctors are niaeve about the seriousness of the dvla's requirements
Thank you Craig. I shall follow your advice.

Good Luck Reco, if you can take someone with you when you go to court. Sometimes it's a long drawn-out day. Remember that the ban is effective immediately so you won't be able to drive home. And don't forget to take lots of change with you for the vending machine for drinks and snack.
Let us know how it goes?
Drew

Get your friend to look for press photographers at the end, there nearly always across the road an like to snap you exiting the foyer!
Nothing you can do about press article but photo always makes it worse, just hang around in waiting area he will soon leave

Good Luck Reco, if you can take someone with you when you go to court. Sometimes it's a long drawn-out day. Remember that the ban is effective immediately so you won't be able to drive home. And don't forget to take lots of change with you for the vending machine for drinks and snack.
Let us know how it goes?
Drew
Thanks Drew. First time for me so these tips really helps. My partner will be there for me on the day. It's getting closer now and I'm beginning to get anxious

As long as get there early and confirm that you are there you will be fine. I know it's scary, but once it's over it's done with.
Also, don't forget to ask for the DD course, which will reduce your ban

As long as get there early and confirm that you are there you will be fine. I know it's scary, but once it's over it's done with.
Also, don't forget to ask for the DD course, which will reduce your ban
Yes I've read about the DD ban. I shall definitely ask. I hope to be able to get time with a duty solicitor too. Thanks Drew

Thank you.
hi dont admit to having an alcohol problem or you will never get a licwnce again .. just go to court look sad and admitt everything but get a solicitor to state mittigating circumstances BUT do not admit dependance on drink just lie

hi dont admit to having an alcohol problem or you will never get a licwnce again .. just go to court look sad and admitt everything but get a solicitor to state mittigating circumstances BUT do not admit dependance on drink just lie

This is so stupid to say to someone, he needs to get the help he needs. I'm a recovering alcoholic, the DVLA are aware of this and I have my licence. As long as he stays sober there's no issue getting your licence back.

Reco tell your doctor if you need help, stay in contact with your GP so they know how long you've been sober for. You need to be at least 12 months sober by the time you are applying if the doctor knows you're dependent.

I understand where Stuart is coming from. Many of this is bureaucracy, if you state you're an alcoholic you'll be classified as an alcoholic and therefore subject to much more.

However, if you truly need help as grice put forward it could help you significantly in the long run.

Get your friend to look for press photographers at the end, there nearly always across the road an like to snap you exiting the foyer!
Nothing you can do about press article but photo always makes it worse, just hang around in waiting area he will soon leave
Seriously? There are press there? Why, its boring? It's not like I'm a celebrity or local figurehead. Really is trash news! Hopefully itll rain and I'll have the need for a brolly or something.

I understand where Stuart is coming from. Many of this is bureaucracy, if you state you're an alcoholic you'll be classified as an alcoholic and therefore subject to much more.

However, if you truly need help as grice put forward it could help you significantly in the long run.
I've been to my doctor already and have been in touch with people I know who can support me.
Feel theres some sense in not bringing it up in court. I'd hope I would be penalised but couldn't count on it and one things for sure it wont lessen my ban, etc so struggling to see the upside

I agree with Stuart, keep it simple from the DD perspective:

- Write a letter of apology - which you will give to the usher, who will then provide to magistrates and prosecutor. Print therefore 4 copies (possibly couple more for just in case-ies). State in that letter that you'd like to take the rehab course, state it would be beneficial for you to learn from.
Key topics to touch on:
  • Remorseful
  • Good character (state things that you do)
  • Will never happen again
  • Request rehab course

- I personally don't think you need a lawyer/solicitor (for the DD case anyway - unsure how you'd broach the insurance case)

From my own experience: not much detail was given in the court room from the prosecutor; they could've mentioned much more simply to embarrass me, I had a female passenger in the car, I got stopped when I turned into McDonalds. I had press in my room (I think); My case was boring and he seemed to have left halfway, it was a relatively low reading. However, could be in the press by November who knows; but it's unlikely, as the press in my area only comment on cases where there was an accident.

Edit: They might mention the speeding in court, but you're not being charged for this if it was not on your charge sheet

Last edited:
I agree with Stuart, keep it simple from the DD perspective:

- Write a letter of apology - which you will give to the usher, who will then provide to magistrates and prosecutor. Print therefore 4 copies (possibly couple more for just in case-ies). State in that letter that you'd like to take the rehab course, state it would be beneficial for you to learn from.
Key topics to touch on:
  • Remorseful
  • Good character (state things that you do)
  • Will never happen again
  • Request rehab course

- I personally don't think you need a lawyer/solicitor (for the DD case anyway - unsure how you'd broach the insurance case)

From my own experience: not much detail was given in the court room from the prosecutor; they could've mentioned much more simply to embarrass me, I had a female passenger in the car, I got stopped when I turned into McDonalds. I had press in my room (I think); My case was boring and he seemed to have left halfway, it was a relatively low reading. However, could be in the press by November who knows; but it's unlikely, as the press in my area only comment on cases where there was an accident.
Thanks for this. This is all brilliant advice! Hope for your sakes and for mine our day is court isnt printed in the press. What makes you think itll be in the press by November? Must have been a quiet week on the crime front if all there is for them to write about is ordinary people losing their licence because of a silly mistake?!
I felt sick for days after being arrested. Is the hell of a conviction and due punishment not enough the grubby press announce it to the masses and humiliate and shame. Wnkrs!

Thanks for this. This is all brilliant advice! Hope for your sakes and for mine our day is court isnt printed in the press. What makes you think itll be in the press by November? Must have been a quiet week on the crime front if all there is for them to write about is ordinary people losing their licence because of a silly mistake?!
I felt sick for days after being arrested. Is the hell of a conviction and due punishment not enough the grubby press announce it to the masses and humiliate and shame. Wnkrs!

I've seen examples although a small set and not within my area, where they collate all drink drivers between certain months and then put them all on their newspaper webpage. Although this is quite rare.

There was a case recently which was literally in every major (Shi**y) paper her face was plastered everywhere, where a mother of two was rattled by her friend that she was drink driving. It's the circumstance that makes it most likely to be in the paper, hence why I say keep it boring.

Reco, I made it into my local papers AND the online version. They have a 'name and shame' section, and although there was no press at my appearance I understand the journo's simply get a listing from the court.

Just to advise on this as you may need to think about your employers.
Only a few people saw the newspaper article as far as I know (who can really tell) but if I google my name I am in the court section :mad:

Reco, I made it into my local papers AND the online version. They have a 'name and shame' section, and although there was no press at my appearance I understand the journo's simply get a listing from the court.

Just to advise on this as you may need to think about your employers.
Only a few people saw the newspaper article as far as I know (who can really tell) but if I google my name I am in the court section :mad:
That's shit!! Sorry man. Hope it's not caused you too much pain. That shit thing about online news is it never goes away

Get there early, grab the duty solicitor - you may want to do a 'dummy rum' and go a few days before to get used to the place and find where the duty solicitor is located.
As you are pleading guilty, it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just brief the solicitor on the points of your case and that he must ask for the DD course. You don't really need to say much just confirm your details (name, address, DoB) and what you are pleading

That's shit!! Sorry man. Hope it's not caused you too much pain. That shit thing about online news is it never goes away
You can request for removal to Google after the ROHA period so I've read, but yeah the online version is the scariest for me. Sorry about that drew.

I've got a unique-ish name so that would be the absolute worst!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off