DBS conflict

Convicted Driver Insurance

anon1111

2.5 years ago I was convicted and banned for 18 months.

Shortly after I submitted a basic DBS check on myself in order to understand what details would be provided.
As expected the conviction was present.

This year I applied for and gained a new role, I did the correct thing and informed my employer of the conviction, overall they were fine to go ahead

They then submitted their own DBS check as part of their process of hiring a new employee.

The DBS check came back clear, no conviction, none recorded.

My question is why? 5 years have not passed, the id and name on both dbs certificates are the same. I cant find a clear answer.

Thanks.

I don’t have an answer I’m afraid, save to say the same thing happened to me, told my employer so they were fully aware but then the dbs came back completely clear.

anon1111

One answer to your question is that sometimes there could be a breakdown in communication between the police, courts, the DVLA and staff at the DBS. Information could be overlooked or simply not updated. It rarely happens, but it can happen!!!! Employees are still human beings and occasionally make mistakes.

The Ian Huntley/Soham murders was a case in point, where key information was not recorded or disclosed about Huntley's past. I am not comparing you to him (so please don't be offended????), I am just trying to emphasize there are sometimes 'flaws' in the system, when large organisations are involved.

I think you can include banks in this scenario - in the digital age, I have sometimes had to query incorrect transactions with my bank where errors or mistakes are made.

The Data Protection Act 1998, was recently updated as the General Data Protection Regulations, which was introduced to encompass the digital age (don't forget - the internet was still in it's infancy in the late 1990s). Unfortunately, the GDPR is a minefield of 'whys & wherefores' - as you alluded to, your conviction details are probably on record somewhere, but the information has simply not be disclosed on this recent occasion.

As January has stated - you are still obliged to declare your conviction until the five years has passed.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off