Couple of newbie questions

Convicted Driver Insurance

MaryM123

Well Known Member
Hi everyone

First time poster here...I was just wondering if anyone knows how long it is taking for medical appointments to come through or is this something I’ve organise myself via my GP And send off to the DVLA. Wasn’t sure if things had changed with COVID? I’ve googled and looked through here but people seem to give different time frames.

I was involved in an accident 7 years ago, so could have re-applied for my license 4 years ago, but I felt so much guilt about what I did and what could have been the outcome that I haven‘t felt ready to until now. I’ve read that convictions are spent after 5 years - does this mean I don’t need to declare or am I better just to say? Will it have any impact on the insurance that it has been 7 years rather than the 3 years if I had applied immediately again when I could?

Naive and confused but just want to get everything right and straight in my head, TIA.

MaryM123, welcome to the forum,
For insurance purposes your conviction is spent after 5 years from the date of conviction so you will not have to declare it when you get back on the road. The gap will make no difference, except that of course any no claims bonus has long gone
To apply for your licence back you submit a D1 from the post office with the fee (£90) and a new photo, but if you have a current passport you can put those details on the D1 and they will use the photo from there.
Then you wait for DVLA (and wait and wait) to send you details of the doctor you have to see for your medical.
They nominate the doctor, you have to make an appointment to see him / her and pay them direct (about another £96)
DVLA then consider if you should get your licence back, or if they need to check with your GP first, depending on the result of the medical and the answers you give to the questionnaire you get to fill out.

MaryM123, welcome to the forum,
For insurance purposes your conviction is spent after 5 years from the date of conviction so you will not have to declare it when you get back on the road. The gap will make no difference, except that of course any no claims bonus has long gone
To apply for your licence back you submit a D1 from the post office with the fee (£90) and a new photo, but if you have a current passport you can put those details on the D1 and they will use the photo from there.
Then you wait for DVLA (and wait and wait) to send you details of the doctor you have to see for your medical.
They nominate the doctor, you have to make an appointment to see him / her and pay them direct (about another £96)
DVLA then consider if you should get your licence back, or if they need to check with your GP first, depending on the result of the medical and the answers you give to the questionnaire you get to fill out.
Hi John, thank you so much for your quick response, I appreciate it. I’ll get myself to the post office this week. Any idea roughly how long the dvla is currently taking? I don’t mind how long I have to wait, I just prefer to know - would the dvla be able to tell me do you think if I phoned them on Monday?

They will not give you a timeframe if you ring.
Looking at posts on here give many different timescales for the process.
You will not her anything for 3-4 weeks at least from submitting your application. Some people get a “we are not conducting medicals at the moment” reply. If you do then come back here and there is advice available on how to deal with that.
Even after you get your medical it is a lottery as to if they contact your GP, and they are currently allowed 12 weeks to reply!

They will not give you a timeframe if you ring.
Looking at posts on here give many different timescales for the process.
You will not her anything for 3-4 weeks at least from submitting your application. Some people get a “we are not conducting medicals at the moment” reply. If you do then come back here and there is advice available on how to deal with that.
Even after you get your medical it is a lottery as to if they contact your GP, and they are currently allowed 12 weeks to reply!
That’s really helpful, thank you.

Hi MaryM123.

You can download the D1 form at this link.

It is a pdf that you can complete on screen.

Hope this helps.

[URL Removed]
NO NO NO NO, you cannot download a D1 for a licence restoration. It has to have the transparent window for sticking a picture on. Also you CANNOT fill an online form to fill in to apply for your licence back after disqualification.

I don’t know what this supposed D1 is that you are linking to, but it is not an accepted DVLA form. It will only cause you delays until DVLA reject it and you have to start the application process again........

Last edited by a moderator:
Better safe then sorry, I will go to the post office tomorrow, a trip out will be nice tbh and get me out of the house.

NO NO NO NO, you cannot download a D1 for a licence restoration. It has to have the transparent window for sticking a picture on. Also you CANNOT fill an online form to fill in to apply for your licence back after disqualification.

I don’t know what this supposed D1 is that you are linking to, but it is not an accepted DVLA form. It will only cause you delays until DVLA reject it and you have to start the application process again........
Hmm, I've used this before, but then I have a passport and if you provide details of your passport they will access the photograph related to that and use it. You do not then need to send a separate photograph. It is not an online form. It is a pdf form that you can complete on your computer and then print out to send to them.

Hmm, I've used this before, but then I have a passport and if you provide details of your passport they will access the photograph related to that and use it. You do not then need to send a separate photograph. It is not an online form. It is a pdf form that you can complete on your computer and then print out to send to them.
The link you provided says the PDF is not there anyway. But DVLA do not provide a D1 form that can be downloaded so it is a scan that someone has done and put on the internet, which someone then downloads and prints on a cheap printer. It may well be rejected by DVLA and in the current climate with Covid that could add weeks to the application process.

There are 3 options for applying for your licence back.
1. DVLA should (but not always) send a D27 form 56 or 90 days before the ban expires.
2. You can get a D1 from a main post office
3. You can apply for a D1 online with DVLA to be sent in the post:

These methods are foolproof. Any other way is taking a chance of rejection so should not be risked.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off