Coronavirus for HROs

Convicted Driver Insurance
When did you send your payment to them? My cheque was dated 14th May and still not cashed. Phoning them just gets the response of '...you'll have to wait..."

When did you send it in ?

I sent my second application in 2 weeks ago - this was the one I sent to Lee Jones stating I was a keyworker, which luckily I am. The first applicatrion I sent back on the 20th May still hasn't even been looked at yet - I sent that one to the normal DVLA address.

I want to post this, nobody's holding a gun to my head like but I didn't realise until I got my licence back how much my mental health had suffered..was Oct 5th 2018 when I lost my licence, 3 days after my boy was in Alder Hey [pre -planned op}, was explaining to the solicitor while in the recovery room my situation regarding my charge... he wasn't interested and making sure payment would be paid, when i insisted on seeing him before payment plus court date,he informed me he wouldn't be representing anyway.. I'm bipolar and for good reasons was not taking my medication when I drove my car two metres forward an three back, My point being every day I was reminded of my mistake and how it impacted on my life,every day of my ban affected my mental state.I had an extra 3 months added due to covid There is hope and this time will pass and you will get your licence back...I know i never believed it when stuck in a quagmire of helplessness

It's a cruel world sometimes and it seems the only one who takes the best care of us is ourselves by pulling all the strings, especially in a situation like this. I suffer from BPD myself and it certainlly hasn't been easy at all. 17 months seemed like an eternity, it was bloody hard I won't lie but now I'm down to my final month. I am self-employed and my finances have completely crumbled but you do find a way to adapt to having no car and you try to make the best out of a bad situation.

No one could have predicted Covid-19 but we are all getting through it and now there is hope for us all now that DVLA are slowly getting back to normal. We all find ourselves in crazy and unusual situations sometimes that become out of our control for whatever reason, it's part of being human and living on this crazy planet. Personally, the cold reality of being reminded everday of my mistake and even when I get my licence back will be there as a failsafe to prevent me from ever concidering drink driving again. We are all lucky to be writing on this forum in regards to those who were not so lucky by killing someone from their actions. We were given a second chance without that awful guilt. For me, that notion got me through the last 17 months everytime I felt depressed. Things could have been much much worse.

Last edited:
I want to post this, nobody's holding a gun to my head like but I didn't realise until I got my licence back how much my mental health had suffered..was Oct 5th 2018 when I lost my licence, 3 days after my boy was in Alder Hey [pre -planned op}, was explaining to the solicitor while in the recovery room my situation regarding my charge... he wasn't interested and making sure payment would be paid, when i insisted on seeing him before payment plus court date,he informed me he wouldn't be representing anyway.. I'm bipolar and for good reasons was not taking my medication when I drove my car two metres forward an three back, My point being every day I was reminded of my mistake and how it impacted on my life,every day of my ban affected my mental state.I had an extra 3 months added due to covid There is hope and this time will pass and you will get your licence back...I know i never believed it when stuck in a quagmire of helplessness

I admire you for writing that.
The people on the phone lines and anyone else for that matter are not in a position to judge anyones situation as they dont know the background.
I feel that the people at DVLA especially the phone operators could be sitting in judgement and thinking "who cares about them they are criminals" judging by the way they speak to people ,but for many people thats not the case at all, and often was a completely one off situation with many complicated circumstances that led to the one off event which has already been paid for highly both financially and in loss of independance .Lets hope none of them find themselves in the same position themselves one day as it really can happen to anyone.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait to receive your medical letter after they have taken the fee?

Some good posts on here.

I do believe much of the devastation and fallout caused by the Covid19 lockdown is behind us all. I am sure that the forum members kept off the road longer because of this horrible virus will be back behind the wheel very shortly.

Some interesting comments about DVLA staff. I do find call centre staff can be very abrupt and off hand when it's something you want & not what they want! Insurance people are a prime example - repay your insurance policy for another year is great, but when you have to make a claim the staff at the other end of the phone can be really difficult.

Maybe most DVLA staff used to work as receptionists in doctor/GPs surgeries? Another breed of people who I find ignorant, rude & judgemental.

I never let anyone judge me now - I broke the law and I am a criminal. Fine! I'm the first to admit this. However, I have said this before and I'll say it again - I honestly believe at least 80% of people who hold driving licences in the UK have at least once in their lifetime driven a vehicle while over the limit (most not intentially have perhaps committed the offence).

Its alright people sitting in Ivory Towers or the other idiots who live in glass houses and throw stones! We all make mistakes but as drink drivers we do seem to bear the brunt more than others.

CJ

Some good posts on here.

I do believe much of the devastation and fallout caused by the Covid19 lockdown is behind us all. I am sure that the forum members kept off the road longer because of this horrible virus will be back behind the wheel very shortly.

Some interesting comments about DVLA staff. I do find call centre staff can be very abrupt and off hand when it's something you want & not what they want! Insurance people are a prime example - repay your insurance policy for another year is great, but when you have to make a claim the staff at the other end of the phone can be really difficult.

Maybe most DVLA staff used to work as receptionists in doctor/GPs surgeries? Another breed of people who I find ignorant, rude & judgemental.

I never let anyone judge me now - I broke the law and I am a criminal. Fine! I'm the first to admit this. However, I have said this before and I'll say it again - I honestly believe at least 80% of people who hold driving licences in the UK have at least once in their lifetime driven a vehicle while over the limit (most not intentially have perhaps committed the offence).

Its alright people sitting in Ivory Towers or the other idiots who live in glass houses and throw stones! We all make mistakes but as drink drivers we do seem to bear the brunt more than others.

CJ
I dont consider myself a "criminal" what constitutes a criminal anyway ?
I am a generally decent human being who is law abiding in my every day life.I made a stupid mistake which was horrible and one that i feel deeply embarrassed and bad about during a distressing time in my life and unfortunately surrounding myself with the wrong people at the wrong time.It happens.And please dont get me wrong here ,i do NOT condone drink driving.It is bloody dangerous and irresponsable and i take full responability and have done since and will continue to do so.
However my ban was ruled by a court of law to be over 4 days from now.And there is no excuse for DVLA covid or not to be telling people they are not "able" or allowed to have the chance to re -apply for their licence when they become eligable as i did almost 90 days ago, putting potentially months onto someones ban
When that simply isnt the truth.

Does anyone know how long you have to wait to receive your medical letter after they have taken the fee?

I still have no idea on this either, hopefully shouldn't be too soon as they have offically 'processed' it.

Also, I agree CJ 1980, everyone makes mistakes and have a moment or experiene in their life they are not proud of, however it's whether or not that mistake becomes public - that's when others start to judge. I'm sure those judgmental people sitting in their glass houses have got something they are not proud of and have proabably even risked drink driving before. Let's face it people break the law everday - you either get caught or you don't. But usually the people who do get caught out are good honest decent people, who are not 'criminals', they just made a one time bad choice.

I would generally assosiate the term criminal to those who don't learn from their mistakes. For example, if you commit a first time drink driving offence, (escape risking people's lives) only to do it again. There is no point in having a bad experience if you don't learn from it.

Last edited:
I dont consider myself a "criminal" what constitutes a criminal anyway ?
I am a generally decent human being who is law abiding in my every day life.I made a stupid mistake which was horrible and one that i feel deeply embarrassed and bad about during a distressing time in my life and unfortunately surrounding myself with the wrong people at the wrong time.It happens.And please dont get me wrong here ,i do NOT condone drink driving.It is bloody dangerous and irresponsable and i take full responability and have done since and will continue to do so.
However my ban was ruled by a court of law to be over 4 days from now.And there is no excuse for DVLA covid or not to be telling people they are not "able" or allowed to have the chance to re -apply for their licence when they become eligable as i did almost 90 days ago, putting potentially months onto someones ban
When that simply isnt the truth.

Drink driving is 'criminal' and is recorded as a 'criminal offence'. Most people seem to play it down as a high end traffic offence which is true in a way but there is no getting away from the fact it creates a criminal record (if like me I never had one before my drink driving arrest - I have one now!!!).

In my view, accepting the truth of being in a criminal category is part of the heeling process and has allowed me to face up to what happened and start moving forward. Without playing down drink driving - I find more people these days have a criminal record than you think.

I worked with a University graduate who was locked up for drunk & disorderly when he was 18 and he recieved a caution. Another chap I used to work with actually got a criminal record for misusing a work's computer many years ago (a bit like a serious breach of Data Protection). Both seem trivial - no one came to any harm, nothing was stolen & I would personally claim both are minor convictions but like my drink driving they are still 'criminal' offences.

My own view is that others have made mistakes - we have made a mistake so my view is not be judgemental towards the wrongdoings of other people. Can we stereotype criminals anymore - I don't think we can!!!

A few 'saints' do get on their soap boxes and emphasise the point drink drivers kill people - Yes they do - however drivers using their mobile phones kill people, tired drivers kill people, speeding drivers kill people, inexperienced drivers kill people!!! Away from driving - drunken people in a pub fight can kill others with one punch, neglectful nursing home staff can cause the death of patients, gas engineers can kill people if they don't do their job properly. You can see a pattern here?

I think I've made my point - going back to the topic of the original thread, none of us on here should tolerate any critism or attitudes from DVLA staff because it is simply unprofessional and unreasonable.

CJ

Drink driving is 'criminal' and is recorded as a 'criminal offence'. Most people seem to play it down as a high end traffic offence which is true in a way but there is no getting away from the fact it creates a criminal record (if like me I never had one before my drink driving arrest - I have one now!!!).

In my view, accepting the truth of being in a criminal category is part of the heeling process and has allowed me to face up to what happened and start moving forward. Without playing down drink driving - I find more people these days have a criminal record than you think.

I worked with a University graduate who was locked up for drunk & disorderly when he was 18 and he recieved a caution. Another chap I used to work with actually got a criminal record for misusing a work's computer many years ago (a bit like a serious breach of Data Protection). Both seem trivial - no one came to any harm, nothing was stolen & I would personally claim both are minor convictions but like my drink driving they are still 'criminal' offences.

My own view is that others have made mistakes - we have made a mistake so my view is not be judgemental towards the wrongdoings of other people. Can we stereotype criminals anymore - I don't think we can!!!

A few 'saints' do get on their soap boxes and emphasise the point drink drivers kill people - Yes they do - however drivers using their mobile phones kill people, tired drivers kill people, speeding drivers kill people, inexperienced drivers kill people!!! Away from driving - drunken people in a pub fight can kill others with one punch, neglectful nursing home staff can cause the death of patients, gas engineers can kill people if they don't do their job properly. You can see a pattern here?

I think I've made my point - going back to the topic of the original thread, none of us on here should tolerate any critism or attitudes from DVLA staff because it is simply unprofessional and unreasonable.

CJ
The question is ,"who" defines what is a criminal.
And yes you are right ,more people than you think have criminal records inluding many people in high places ...but thats an "ok" kind of criminal.

Im glad you have found a way to help yourself feel better by accepting your criminal behaviour ;-) lol .

And yes exactly right, highly unprofessional.

Hi,

My 90 days was the 11th of June but I've not recieved a d27 form or anything from the dvla. I'm trying to get a d1 form online but it says they are unavailable currently from the dvla. How the hell do i get one to apply for my license then? I'm high risk so need to get the medical too.

Also what is the process for the medical, do they tell me which doctor to go to or do i have to find one?

Last edited:
Hi,

My 90 days was the 11th of June but I've not recieved a d27 form or anything from the dvla. I'm trying to get a d1 form online but it says they are unavailable currently from the dvla. How the hell do i get one to apply for my license then? I'm high risk so need to get the medical too.

Also what is the process for the medical, do they tell me which doctor to go to or do i have to find one?
O got my d1 from post office.
Plus also send 90£ fee postal order
O would send recorded delively.
Then you'll receive a letter to book yourself in a dvla approved doctor.

Posted my application on the 01/04/2020. Complained on 20/05/2020. Received response to complaint 03/06/2020 apologising for length of time taken because of covid etc. Next day received the DR1 medical questionnaire in the post. Sent that straight back next day recorded. 25/06/2020 received letter saying no medicals being done at the minute. 29/06/2020 I booked my own medical by getting the DVLA approved doctor to ask for my records from the DVLA. I have my medical next Thursday 09/07/2020. That's 14 weeks after my application was first sent in! Sent another complaint yesterday basically saying i wasn't happy with the way my application has been processed and that as a key worker I should have been prioritised. Not drank for 15 months so medical should be all good.
Got my medical today after waiting 14 weeks since I sent my application in. This has caused me so much anxiety and stress waiting around. Reminds me off how it felt waiting to go to court in the first place. I've got to travel 2 hours and 20 minutes to get it done by the way! I will let you all know what happens this afternoon.

Got my medical today after waiting 14 weeks since I sent my application in. This has caused me so much anxiety and stress waiting around. Reminds me off how it felt waiting to go to court in the first place. I've got to travel 2 hours and 20 minutes to get it done by the way! I will let you all know what happens this afternoon.
Good luck ? with your medical i have also booked my own medical. Not until the beginning of August,

Hi,

You will get a D1 form from the post office, i had to book my own medical i sent my D1 form at the beginning of May my disqualification ends next week.

Just rang DVLA been told they've got my bloods but not received paperwork from doctor, going to speak to doctor at 10 I know he has sent them my details. Has this happened to anyone else, also DVLA said my results would have to be reviewed by the DVLA doctor is this true and if so how long would it take?

Hi all. Updating everyone to the stays of my application.
I had my medical on the 9/6/20. And I called today and DVLA said they still hadn’t received the paperwork for the doctor. I called the called the doctor and they called DVLA and it appeared straight away. So my licence is reinstated from midnight to when my ban officially ended.

thanks to everyone’s advice on here. It’s been so helpful and a note to everyone.Be persistent with DVLA.And don’t give up.
Did they say that your results will need to be reviewed, I've had the same had my test with dr mckaen, too bloke, I know he has sent my details off but dvla have told me exactly what they told you they're awaiting results from the doctor, also when they receive results it needs to be reviewed by the team 'up stairs'

Where s your medical
Aveley medical centre in Essex. I live near Leicester so it’s 170 miles away. Had to take the day off work but I don’t mind I just want it sorted. I’ve just insured my mate for the day on the car I bought to give it a run as it’s sat on the drive for 4 weeks!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off