Coronavirus for HROs

Convicted Driver Insurance
Plus I don't think you would of had it back by the 18th Aug even without covid, because you failed to supply DVLA will now class you as a high risk offender and will write out to your GP, this communication between GP and the DVLA takes months before covid 19 hit.....

I know I am an HRO from Day 1 when I received a letter from them back in July 2019. Yes, I know it takes a while hence DVLA write to you 90 days before your ban is due to end otherwise what is the point of having the offer to have your ban reduced? I did learn a lot going on the drink driving course and in how the process to get your licence back works from other people's own experiences. Regardless of your comment, I am going to remain optimistic. I was merely sharing my own situation for others in the same boat.

Driver87,
With DVLA being on restricted working, don’t count on them sending you a form to reapply 3 months before.
if they are still in the same situation when that date comes round, they will probably not send you a form when they get round to reopening. Their computer is set up to say “who is due their licence back 3 months from today? Send them a form today?“ tomorrow it asks itself the same question. it isn’t geared up to say “who should have been sent a form 2 weeks ago?”
You will need to get a licence application form from the Post Office, called a D1, and use that whenDVLA decide to accept applications from non key workers.

Thanks. As I said I am prepared to be patient and wait. It just seems highly unfair when they have granted an extension to other's needing a medical for eyesight, or other conditions (by providing them a temporary licence) and extending MOT's ect and when I have already paid to go on a course and have my ban reduced by 4 months. The safety aspect is still the same, they may not be safe to be on the road yet they have been granted permission to do so.

To be fair, I've been getting a little worried and stressed too. I originally had a 17th month driving ban back in July 2019 for failing to provide. It was my first offence. I paid and went on a drink driving course to have it reduced by 4 months from 18th December 2020 to the 18th August 2020. I was anticipating hearing from the DVLA next month to re-apply for my licence and sort the medical. However after reading many threads and posts on here it seems the COVID-19 situation has taken over and looks like I won't be able to drive on the 18th August. I do sympathise and realise though that people are dying everyday from COVID-19 and that at the end of the day I'm fortunate to still be alive however we do all still need some hope and inspiration during these hard times of lockdown and isolation and the end of my ban on the 18th August was a major incentive for me to keep off the alcohol and have something to look forward to. I will still continue to keep off the alcohol as I have come so far and worked too hard to give up when I'm so close. I think the only main frustration comes from the fact that I paid to go on a course to have my ban reduced and now it looks set to be just as long as the original ban date.

driver87

The TCC course is still worth doing because it impacts on keeping your insurance premium down aswell!!!

In all honesty - the present lockdown restrictions cannot continue too long, as the knock on effects would be too damaging to the UK economy. Mental health, domestic violence and alcohol dependency are things that have increased in the last few weeks. Boris Johnson has some very serious decisions to make but I am optimistic that the DVLA will resume it's HRO procedures soon. The longer they hold off on medicals for non-key workers, the bigger the backlog of people waiting and it is more people being kept off the road who provide key functions to the economy in their own way.

I would just keep a positive frame of mind and be thankful you have at least got your health & wellbeing.

CJ

Oh without question I am very lucky that at present I have my health and thankful I got the opportunity to do the course and I learned a lot as a I said in regards to learning the impacts of drink driving and it's something I would NEVER repeat. But the main incentive of the course really was to knock months off your driving ban. After paying court costs, paying to go on the course I will also have to pay for my medical and getting my licence back, not to mention my slightly higher insurance. I have accepted that expenses are something I have accepted and can't change.

I will remain optimistic regardless and just weigh it out, after all it was my stupidity that I messed up. In my mind I just feel when I've served my time, pumped in the expenses and been educated from it why should I still pay for it when others are having special permissions just because of their job role? I know I'm not vital in keeping the country going, I'm a self employed music teacher but the impact of loosing my licence has been detrimental to career, my finances and my life in general and for someone who pays taxes and NI why shouldn't we all be treated fairly? It's almost like saying ok, you were sentenced to 6 months in prison, this was your release date but for not fault of your own we won't be letting you out for another 3-4 months.

Anyway let's see what comes about in the coming month after Johnson's comeback.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Have read this thread with interest, as i find myself in the same position. Details below:

Banned: 15th March 2019
Ban: 20 months
End Date: 14th November 2020
Course: Yes
New End Date: June 14th 2020

I was a bit unsure on the process or re-applying especially being a HRO, but after completing the course i was advised, they would inform the court of the successful completion, who would in turn inform the DVLA, then they would contact me by letter with details of the medical / application.

As of today, i have obviously found out; a) Can't speak to anyone at the DVLA b) they aren't accepting any applications for non-key workers c) no one to talk to at my local magistrate courts d) i was majorly behind the curve anyway by the sounds of peoples experiences of the medical and application taking 3/4 months+ anyway.

Whilst checking my licence online .Gov / DVLA service, it still shows as my end date being the 14th November 2020, so i don't think i have any hope of things resolving themselves anytime soon.

Unprecedented times, and just have to suck it up. I am assuming, i will just have to aim for the official end date of November this year and forget about the discount, by then potentially the DVLA will be back to some form of normal, but with the medical and forms i may be looking at 2021. Which is gutting, but in the grand scheme of things nothing.

Would like to keep any eye on here to hear your stories & updates, and i hope every one stays fit and healthy.

Thanks

The fact that your licence renewal is not showing the discount means that one of 3 things have happened....
1. the course provider have not notified the court of your reduction. (Have you had your certificate in the post? The provider should send you the certificate the same day they notify the court)
2. they have, but the court have not updated their records And notified DVLA
3. The court have, but it is pending at DVLA because of the reduced working.
The problem is rarely with DVLA but at the moment they will be the most likely suspects.
You will still qualify for the reduction, providing DVLA get back to full time working in the not to distant future......

The fact that your licence renewal is not showing the discount means that one of 3 things have happened....
1. the course provider have not notified the court of your reduction. (Have you had your certificate in the post? The provider should send you the certificate the same day they notify the court)
2. they have, but the court have not updated their records And notified DVLA
3. The court have, but it is pending at DVLA because of the reduced working.
The problem is rarely with DVLA but at the moment they will be the most likely suspects.
You will still qualify for the reduction, providing DVLA get back to full time working in the not to distant future......

Hello, I have in the last week received an email from the course provider (completed the course March 23rd) advising they will be informing the courts. Attached is a PDF of the certificate within the email.

I have tried contacting the courts, to confirm they have received it, but no one there to talk too.

thank you for confirming the timelines, hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks staff may increase at the magistrates or DVLA and I can get some confirmation as to where I stand.

Wow, you just squeezed in before the lockdown! With that timescale I would expect that the court has not processed your reduction yet.... but they will.

Plus I don't think you would of had it back by the 18th Aug even without covid, because you failed to supply DVLA will now class you as a high risk offender and will write out to your GP, this communication between GP and the DVLA takes months before covid 19 hit.....
Hi all ,honest man hits the nail everytime. The problem with delays is inherent with the totally inefficient dvla ,beginning with the call centre that's only function is to fit all enquiries into a pigeon hole and if it doesn't fit you'll all struggle and wait, wait and then some more. This self appraising call centre has apparently won awards year on year for their job done well.!!!!!

Without getting everyone's hopes up - Monday's government announcement about the current lockdown situation is likely to see certain workplaces resuming in order to keep the ecomony moving.

My theory is that the DVLA will have to resume HRO medicals for non-key workers because -

a) the DVLA will end up with a massive backlogue of HRO's awaiting medicals - the system will clog up if they hold back on this any longer.

b) certain people are relying on their licences back in order to return to work. As social distancing is probably remaining - using private vehicles would be more sensible than using public transport.

c) banned drivers kept from the road are actually not helping the ecomony - things like filling you car with fuel & paying road tax goes towards funding the government's books to stop the country going under.

Thats my thoughts on the subject anyway. Good luck to anyone currently waiting for a medical.

CJ

Hi Everyone

Little update for you all. I have copy and pasted my comment from another thread below, not good news unfortunately....

Unfortunately there is no light at the end of the tunnel yet for us. I have played phone tennis with the DVLA and the doctor I was allocated to carry out my medical this morning.

DVLA are adamant that all of their franchised doctors are not taking any referrals from the DVLA at the moment due to covid-19. There is no doctor on there system across the country that would carry out a medical for me no matter the cost.

The doctors surgery I was allocated advised me that all three of the doctors based there that would usually carry out the DVLAs appointments are not taking on any private referral work for the foreseeable future. The receptionist even went on to say that they don’t even know if they will renew their contract with the DVLA after all this is over and have destroyed all paperwork that has been referred to them privately.

I then went back to the DVLA and told them my paperwork had been destroyed and if there was anything I could do and got the same response. No doctors taking appointments, cant pay privately has to be their francised doctors etc. The guy on the phone said he is going to resend my paperwork to the doctors surgery I have been allocated.

I then called back the doctors to let them know they would be receiving my paperwork again and if they could please hold onto it. Lovely lady on the phone said of course and she would ask if the doctors would make an exception but 99% sure they won’t.

My takeaway from all of this is that no one will be able to obtain a medical appointment until covid-19 is nearly irradicated from the UK. I have completely disregarded the “12 week” letter I received now as that date is fast approaching (approx June 12th) and there is no plan in place and still no clarity.

Sorry everyone for the super pessimistic post but I have lost all hope in gaining a medical and will probably lose my job which was hard enough to get without a license anyway (they only took me on with the condition that I would be driving at the end of my ban which was the 9th of April) who knows when us HROs will be able to drive again.

Edit: I am classed as a key worker as I am a care assistant working with the elderly some of which have covid-19. This in no way has helped me get a medical appointment

Hi Everyone

Little update for you all. I have copy and pasted my comment from another thread below, not good news unfortunately....

Unfortunately there is no light at the end of the tunnel yet for us. I have played phone tennis with the DVLA and the doctor I was allocated to carry out my medical this morning.

DVLA are adamant that all of their franchised doctors are not taking any referrals from the DVLA at the moment due to covid-19. There is no doctor on there system across the country that would carry out a medical for me no matter the cost.

The doctors surgery I was allocated advised me that all three of the doctors based there that would usually carry out the DVLAs appointments are not taking on any private referral work for the foreseeable future. The receptionist even went on to say that they don’t even know if they will renew their contract with the DVLA after all this is over and have destroyed all paperwork that has been referred to them privately.

I then went back to the DVLA and told them my paperwork had been destroyed and if there was anything I could do and got the same response. No doctors taking appointments, cant pay privately has to be their francised doctors etc. The guy on the phone said he is going to resend my paperwork to the doctors surgery I have been allocated.

I then called back the doctors to let them know they would be receiving my paperwork again and if they could please hold onto it. Lovely lady on the phone said of course and she would ask if the doctors would make an exception but 99% sure they won’t.

My takeaway from all of this is that no one will be able to obtain a medical appointment until covid-19 is nearly irradicated from the UK. I have completely disregarded the “12 week” letter I received now as that date is fast approaching (approx June 12th) and there is no plan in place and still no clarity.

Sorry everyone for the super pessimistic post but I have lost all hope in gaining a medical and will probably lose my job which was hard enough to get without a license anyway (they only took me on with the condition that I would be driving at the end of my ban which was the 9th of April) who knows when us HROs will be able to drive again.

Edit: I am classed as a key worker as I am a care assistant working with the elderly some of which have covid-19. This in no way has helped me get a medical appointment
Update I have just spoken to a private doctor based at Harley Street who would carry out the required CDT medical. Spoke the DVLA regarding this and was told the same again, as he is not a DVLA appointed doctor they would not send my paperwork to him as the medical would be deemed invalid.

Rock and a hard place.

Damn...I thought with the message of “back to work” things may start moving.

I have wishful thinking that as the DVLA won’t ever be able to catch up with the backlog or missed and new HRO’s they may make a blanket decision and just accept / re-issue licences when back up to near full capacity.

like I said, wishful thinking.

foreverwaiting, I really sympathise with your predicament. It is so frustrating that there is no solution in sight for you (and countless others). Being caught and banned is a stupid and defenceless thing to do, but I can't help but feel that the ramifications follow you around long after the ban is over... including medicals, insurance and even foreign visas.
That is so unfair that a qualified doctor who is willing to carry out the medical will not be deemed suitable by the DVLA. If that was me, I'd contact your MP with that information, and play on the fact you are a care worker, and have a new job lined up. You never know.... I don't know why only DVLA approved doctors can carry out the medicals anyway. From past experience the medical for me involved, height, weight, blood pressure, a prod around my abdomen and then a medical questionnaire and a chat. Over in ten minutes. Any decent GP (and even most bad ones) would be able to successfully do that.
Anyway, I hope you find a way to stay positive and maybe try your MP again or lodge a complaint with the DVLA... purely based on the fact you've found a willing doctor and are prepared to pay. Good luck

Damn...I thought with the message of “back to work” things may start moving.

I have wishful thinking that as the DVLA won’t ever be able to catch up with the backlog or missed and new HRO’s they may make a blanket decision and just accept / re-issue licences when back up to near full capacity.

like I said, wishful thinking.

Although I do appreciate the DVLA will end up with a backlog of HRO's awaiting medicals there is no way the DVLA would waver the medical procedures. Road safety is the key factor in all of this & this has take to priority over everything.

To let certain banned drivers on the road without a medical would be disastrous because as we see many times in the media there are a very small minority of drink drivers who never learn from their mistakes and continue to pose a risk on the road.

The DVLA medicals are clearly a safeguarding mechanism to protect not just the lives of pedestrians, and other motorists but the lives & integrity of the convicted drivers awaiting to return to the road after a ban.

Medicals cannot be 'wavered' - the DVLA will simply make people stew longer in these circumstances regardless of the knock on effect it has on personal circumstances (jobs).

CJ

Although I do appreciate the DVLA will end up with a backlog of HRO's awaiting medicals there is no way the DVLA would waver the medical procedures. Road safety is the key factor in all of this & this has take to priority over everything.

To let certain banned drivers on the road without a medical would be disastrous because as we see many times in the media there are a very small minority of drink drivers who never learn from their mistakes and continue to pose a risk on the road.

The DVLA medicals are clearly a safeguarding mechanism to protect not just the lives of pedestrians, and other motorists but the lives & integrity of the convicted drivers awaiting to return to the road after a ban.

Medicals cannot be 'wavered' - the DVLA will simply make people stew longer in these circumstances regardless of the knock on effect it has on personal circumstances (jobs).

CJ
Would it be possible if not logical if dvla will deal with applications in date order, whenever they decide to start back. I think its Deckensian that you can t go private for the medical. BTW no problem to buy Reg numbers on DVLA auction site. Pretty sure that's based in Swansea, nice earner eh! Bisness as usual

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off