Copy of my mitigation letter... Any good?!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bane

Hi all

I am due in Court next Monday (Blood 196ml) and am writing my mitigation letter and was wondering if it was OK? Any help would be much appreciated!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To **** County Court
I would first like to start this letter with a full confession. I was responsible for driving the car whilst under the influence of alcohol at the stated time and date of the incident in question. I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere apologies to the court, police and the general public for my actions at the time of the incident. In particular, I would like to apologise to the owner of the other vehicle involved and for the inconvenience my actions that night caused them. I am very thankful no one was hurt by my idiotic actions.
This is my first drink driving offence and whilst I offer no excuses for my actions, there are several factors leading up to the night of the incident that may explain why it happened. About 3 to 4 years ago whilst living in ****, I was diagnosed with depression. In May 2017, I felt my mental health was not improving and sought help from the doctor. They advised me to take anti-depressants (Citalopram) and seek counselling. I started the process for counselling and took the Citalopram they prescribed, without any results. I never had an alcoholic drink whilst taking my medication until the night of the incident and was unaware of any effect drinking could have on them.
Whilst I appreciate and accept that the consequence of my actions will ultimately result in a driving ban and anything else the court sees fit, the effect a driving ban will have on my life would be very great. I currently work as a **** for **** and while I have been advised I will not lose my job, it will affect the amount of earnings I will be able take home due to the amount of overtime I currently do to cover our bills (roughly £150/£200 extra a week). Being the only driver for my young family, a ban will also have a great effect of them. From taking my kids to and from their schools and after school clubs, to picking my wife up from work and other family requirements. I also travel to **** often due to my mother’s MS diagnosis and the subsequent appointments she continuously has to attend.
Since the incident I have changed my medication and started counselling which has been very positive. Going forward, I have made the decision to stop drinking in public and if the situation occurs where I will be drinking in public, I will leave my keys with my wife or at home and make other arrangements. I will also not be drinking to the excess I did that night as I am more aware of the intricacies of alcohol and anti-depressants. I would also be very interested in attending a drink driving course that the court can provide to become more aware of the dangers of drink driving.
I would like to state again my sincere apologies for the effect and cost my actions caused that night and only hope the court, my family and the public can forgive them. I am ready for any sentence that I face and only hope the court will give me a chance to prove my remorse and to prove my behaviour has changed. I also promise that I will never drink drive again.

Sincerely

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It reads very well really, sounds genuine, reflective and remorseful. I can only advise from my own experience, but the thing my solicitor thought was best was my character reference if you have one.

Only substantive point I could suggest with the letter would be perhaps to make it a slight bit more, not necessarily shorter, but slightly more to the point perhaps. For instance, leading with the personal consequences of not being able to drive, and then follow with your acceptance of a ban maybe. I only say this as my hearing was done in around 7-10 minutes, and I’m pretty sure less than three of those were spent with the magistrates deliberating on the sentence so how much attention these things get I imagine might be small. Although, if you’re representing yourself the length might appropriate if you’re not going into a full mitigation, but really the main factor is the reading.

All the best,

Thanks for the reply and your input. It is much appreciated! I felt it was a bit wordy but it's hard to say everything you want to and to be to the point!

Good advice given, only thing to add is that it is Magistrates Court, not County Court....

Many Thanks, I've jigged it about and thinks it reads better and to the point I think...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To **** Magistrate Court
I would first like to start this letter with a full confession. I was the person responsible for driving the car whilst under the influence of alcohol at the stated time and date of the incident in question.
Whilst I appreciate and accept that the consequence of my actions will ultimately result in a punishment the court sees fit, the effect a driving ban will have on my life would be very great. I currently work as a **** for **** and while I have been advised I will not lose my job, it will affect the amount of earnings I will be able take home due to the amount of overtime I currently do to cover our bills (roughly £150/£200 extra a week). Being the only driver for my young family, a ban will also have a great effect on them. From taking my kids to and from their schools and after school clubs, to picking my wife up from work and other family requirements. I also travel to **** often due to my mother’s MS diagnosis and the subsequent appointments she continuously must attend
This is my first drink driving offence and whilst I offer no excuses for my actions, there are several factors leading up to the night of the incident that may explain why it happened. About 3 to 4 years ago whilst living in ****, I was diagnosed with depression. In May 2017 my mental health deteriorated, and I sought help from the doctor who advised me to take anti-depressants (Citalopram) and seek counselling. I started the process for counselling and took the Citalopram they prescribed, without any results. I never had an alcoholic drink whilst taking my medication until the night of the incident and was unaware of any effect drinking could have on them.
Since the incident I have changed my medication and started counselling which has been very positive. Going forward, I have made the decision to stop drinking in public and if the situation occurs where I will be drinking in public, I will leave my keys with my wife or at home and make other arrangements. I will also not be drinking to the excess I did that night as I am more aware of the intricacies of alcohol and anti-depressants. I would also be very interested in attending a drink driving course that the court can provide to become more aware of the dangers of drink driving.
I would like to state my sincere apologies for the effect and cost my actions caused that night and only hope the court, my family and the public can forgive them. I am ready for any sentence that I face and only hope the court will give me a chance to prove my remorse and to prove my behaviour has changed. I also promise that I have learnt from this experience and that I will never drink drive again.

Sincerely
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That reads fine. You will get a ‘means test’ form to fill in to give details of your income so the court can assess the level of fine to impose. You should fill it in as your level of income as what it will be whilst disqualified, rather than what it is now.

Can I suggest you add
I am fully aware that I could have caused a fatality

It lets them know you are aware of the consequences

I wrote a short letter to the bench plus had character refs that all independently put how out of character & how the incident had resulted in me being totally remorseful

Good luck

Can I suggest you add
I am fully aware that I could have caused a fatality

It lets them know you are aware of the consequences

I wrote a short letter to the bench plus had character refs that all independently put how out of character & how the incident had resulted in me being totally remorseful

Good luck
As the post from Bane was from over 2 1/2 years ago I think the advice will be too late to be of assistance!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off