Contacting GP

Convicted Driver Insurance

Deano1312

Would DVLA contact your GP if you failed your CDT blood test or would they instantly reject your licence renewal?

Would DVLA contact your GP if you failed your CDT blood test or would they instantly reject your licence renewal?
I would think they would instantly reject your applicatiom, that would make the most sense. Any idea whats got ypu thinking like this? How long did u abstain for before your medical and what were your drinking habits?

I would think they would instantly reject your applicatiom, that would make the most sense. Any idea whats got ypu thinking like this? How long did u abstain for before your medical and what were your drinking habits?
I abstained for a year but about a month before my medical I had a few days heavy drinking and have since continued my abstinence! I think it’s just the time it’s all taking that has got me thinking, I was banned for 9 months and now on 14 months, just a waiting game now I suppose.

It would certainly speed up the process if they contacted your GP at the same time or even before you had your medical and CDT test. The issue is, if you fail the CDT test, then the DVLA will have paid out for a GP report they didn't require as you hadn't even cleared the first hurdle.

It would certainly speed up the process if they contacted your GP at the same time or even before you had your medical and CDT test. The issue is, if you fail the CDT test, then the DVLA will have paid out for a GP report they didn't require as you hadn't even cleared the first hurdle.
So if you failed the initial medical they wouldn’t contact your GP?

If there was something catastrophically wrong with the medical then yes, they would just straight fail you.
But there can be things that are ambiguous and they need to clarify details with the GP, this can include answers to the questions on the medical form.
You do not ‘pass or fail’ the medical appointment to get your licence back with the DVLA doctor, that is only a part of the process and there can be further stages after that - as you are finding out!

If there was something catastrophically wrong with the medical then yes, they would just straight fail you.
But there can be things that are ambiguous and they need to clarify details with the GP, this can include answers to the questions on the medical form.
You do not ‘pass or fail’ the medical appointment to get your licence back with the DVLA doctor, that is only a part of the process and there can be further stages after that - as you are finding out!
I was 100% expecting them to contact my GP as I’d answered yes to a couple of questions I was just thinking if I’d failed the CDT would they even contact the GP I wouldn’t of expected to fail the CDT as I’d only had a few days drinking in the whole time since before my ban even started but it’s definitely in the back of my mind.

If you had a high CDT reading or the Doctor carrying out your medical identified serious health issues e.g. enlarged liver problems, that indicated heavy, ongoing alcohol consumption, then yes, you would 'fail' and your licence would not be returned. You would be asked to prove sobriety for either 6 months or a year before applying again. The only way to do that is to engage with your GP and have regular Liver Function Tests carried out along with other blood tests.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off