Confused.

Convicted Driver Insurance

european_citezen

Hello, might someone will be able to help me, or push me into the right direction.
I am Lithuanian I have a full lithuanian (EU) drivers license, which I've passed in early 2014.
In 2015 I've moved to UK, and made my biggest mistake in my life, drink&drive...
Please don't judge me..
Okey, so the court gave me 12 months driving ban, it also said to do an extended driving test after the ban is over, they also ask me to surrender my drivers license which I did not...
In 2018 I went back to Lithuania for holidays, I got my self a new drivers license (because the old exipired) and now I have my drivers license which is valid from 2018 to 2028, but my ban ended in the UK in 2017.
I have no restrictions to drive in Lithuania or any other EU country, because my drivers license is valid from the issuing country (Lithuania) however I am not sure can I drive in the UK (the offense was done in in Northern Ireland, where the law different from England...) because on the court order in does not say that I had non-uk drivers license, and I cannot check online I am allowed to drive in UK, because you only can check UK drivers license, online. However if I check my drivers license on my countrys online sistems it says the the drivers license is valind and had nor restrictions...
So anyone please help me out, doe's anyone knows the answer? Because I'VE been to 2 lawyers, and their answer was: I am not sure. And also, if i go to any insurense company with my current license, they are more than happy to insure a car for me, I believe that the insurense companys must see that we are still banned, or am I wrong? Also there is no information about EU drivers license on their website, it's only about UK drivers license. So doe's that mean when your ban is over you simply can drive, cause how can you re-do your test with other countrys issued drivers license? It does make perfect sense to re-do your test on UK drivers license but not EU.

Fellow Northern Ireland poster here, once your ban is up you can drive on your EU licence again in NI. If you want to exchange that licence for a UK one to benefit from cheaper insurance premiums etc then you will have to sit your theory test and the extended driving test. But once your ban is served you are allowed to drive on your EU licence.

Thanks for your answer Man!
So if I'll buy a car, insure it, etc. on my Lithunian drivers license. Will the police ANPR cameras will flag me for any reason? Do they see what king of drivers license do I have.. I've also heard stories, that if you have an EU drivers license and if you make an offence DVA makes you a "ghost drivers license".

The DVA does make you a ghost drivers licence when you are banned without a UK licence. But your ban has ended on your ghost licence. You can tax, insure and drive your car on your EU licence as you did before your ban. Like I said, if you ever want to exchange your licence for an NI/UK one you will have to sit both parts of the driving test.

Things with Brexit are up in the air at the minute but there is a possibility that after Brexit you will be required to exchange your licence for a UK one, if this comes to pass then you will have to pass the UK test.

One more question then man. If I would get a speeding fine for instants, and they would ask me my license for points endorsement? What would happen then, or do they not contact DVA for that?
Thanks for your time!

Speeding works whatever way it would have worked before your ban, I would only be familiar with the rules surrounding drink driving mate.

Speeding works whatever way it would have worked before your ban, I would only be familiar with the rules surrounding drink driving mate.
Sorry again Mate.
But I've got this from another forum "Redit"
Is he saying the truth?
,,You've been issued a UK driver number.

You need to get in contact with the DVLA in order to obtain it and seek advice regarding the extended re test.

DO NOT DRIVE in the United Kingdom until you have it in writing that you are okay to do so because my system will tell me that you're disqualified until test passed so you'll get arrested."

My friend was disqualified in NI on his ROI licence and once his ban was up the DVA NI told him that he was allowed to drive on his ROI licence again. Unless this has changed in the last year I'm just going on what he was told.

My friend was disqualified in NI on his ROI licence and once his ban was up the DVA NI told him that he was allowed to drive on his ROI licence again. Unless this has changed in the last year I'm just going on what he was told.
I don't think that anything has changed.
But do remember for what he was disqualified? Because for drink&drive or dangerous driving offenses you need to re-do your tests, howewer for other offenses you can drive instantly after your ban ends, no tesy required.

Yeh definately check with DVLA the last thing you want is to be facing another ban and your car in the pound, I think you'll find if you have been banned you will need to satisfy DVLA by whatever means to drive legal on British roads again, that's exactly what they are they for to keep British roads safe...

I rang the DVA NI today on 02890495914 to gain a bit of clarification on the matter because I would hate to give out wrong information and inadvertently get someone into trouble. Unfortunately the rules differ for a ROI licence to an EU licence. The advice I gave you before was based on information I knew about ROI licences as I thought they would be treated the same as an EU one.

To drive in NI after being ordered to retake your driving test you must sit both parts of the test both practical and theory in order to legally drive on UK roads. This is because your ghost licence will still show as no qualification present until you have resat the test. My apologies for the bit of hope I gave you european_citezen, that was my mistake. I'll be more careful in future to check all my facts before giving advice.

Thanks everyone for the help!
I also did contact DVA be email, I was explained the same.
The thing is, that you have to pay for your mistakes, in my case leason is learned :)
So now to I have to do everything by the book, to be a legal driver on the the roads.
Thanks everyone again, especially thanks to grice96 for you effort to even phone them up, much appreciated it!
I would like to wish you all and your family's a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I rang the DVA NI today on 02890495914 to gain a bit of clarification on the matter because I would hate to give out wrong information and inadvertently get someone into trouble. Unfortunately the rules differ for a ROI licence to an EU licence. The advice I gave you before was based on information I knew about ROI licences as I thought they would be treated the same as an EU one.

To drive in NI after being ordered to retake your driving test you must sit both parts of the test both practical and theory in order to legally drive on UK roads. This is because your ghost licence will still show as no qualification present until you have resat the test. My apologies for the bit of hope I gave you european_citezen, that was my mistake. I'll be more careful in future to check all my facts before giving advice.
That is why i said to contact the dvla just to be on the safe side (y)

In 2018 I went back to Lithuania for holidays, I got my self a new drivers license (because the old exipired) and now I have my drivers license which is valid from 2018 to 2028, but my ban ended in the UK in 2017.

You can drive on your Lithuanian licence now that your UK ban has ended.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off