Community works (community service)

Convicted Driver Insurance

Bakkara

Can somebody tell please what kind of work to expect if sentenced for comunity works? And if it happens will be local and withing a walking distance?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Comunity works

Can somebody tell please what kind of work to expect if sentenced for comunity works? And if it happens will be local and withing a walking distance?

Hi there,

When I was on community service there was basically two types. Group placements and individual placements. Group placements were what was known as 'on the van'. This is where a group of you meet up at the probation office in the morning and are taken to whatever you will be working on in the van. This can vary from litter picking, painting church halls, putting up fences etc, whatever needs doing really.

There are also individual placements such as working in a charity shop which is what I done. Pretty self explanatory. It really depends what area you are in and what placements are available as to what you end up doing. You can state a preference but ultimately it will be where the probation service decide to place you.

You will also need to go on an induction in a group, basically just informing you of how it all works, requirements, health and safety etc. This was a few hours and contributed towards the total hours I needed to do. I got 180 hours, was dreading it at first but ended up really enjoying it.

Thank you very, Merlin! One more question. Are you allowed to work every day to be able to complete as soon as possible or is it only something like once a week?

Thank you very, Merlin! One more question. Are you allowed to work every day to be able to complete as soon as possible or is it only something like once a week?

Unfortunately no, I wanted to do this too, but was told it was not possible :(

Unfortunately no, I wanted to do this too, but was told it was not possible :(
:( Does it mean if I get a community oreder I can't leave the country for a year or so? My parents invited me to stay with them for a few weeks. Can I choose days or the tell when I have to do it?

:( Does it mean if I get a community oreder I can't leave the country for a year or so? My parents invited me to stay with them for a few weeks. Can I choose days or the tell when I have to do it?

The induction covers everything, but from what I remember, they are flexible to a certain degree as long as they dont think you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes by trying to postpone/avoid completing your hours.

They said if you already had a holiday booked or planned then it wouldnt be a problem if it was two weeks or so, however, saying you were going on holiday for a month or longer would be unacceptable as would going on holliday every other month lol. Also if you were going on holiday they would want to see proof, such as train/plane tickets or receipts etc

Regarding days, there was ones during the week for those that dont have work or other important commitments (childcare) and ones over the weeked for those that work during the week etc. Once you are given a day, that will be your day for community service each week. However Im sure if there was a genuine reason to change it, that wouldnt be a problem.

You are allowed to phone in sick once during the whole duration of your CS without a doctors certificate, any time you are ill after this you would need to get a sick note from the doctor. If you dont, you will be in breach of your CS and will find yourself back in court, you will also be in breach if you turn up late or dont turn up at all, or turn up and dont do what is required.

I think as long as you dont mess them around, lie to them, you turn up on time and do as required then there wont be a problem. Im not suggesting you would do this, but a lot of people do and end up back at court. If you go to court for breaching CS they can give you extra hours or cancel the community order and dish out an alternative punishment, this could include custody!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off