Charges added on day at magistrate?

Convicted Driver Insurance

ddforum89

I was recently charged with drink driving after hitting a lamp post on a bend in the early hours. I waited with my vehicle until the police arrived. I blew in the 70s at the station and confessed to drinking and driving in interview. Nobody witnessed the accident as far as I’m aware. The police told me an additional witness had come forward after my interview had concluded, after speaking to a solicitor I was advised the police may be trying to gather more evidence to add a charge of dangerous driving due to the accident? Is this something that anyone is familiar with? I was just going to go it alone/ use duty but I wouldn’t like to walk in unprepared on the day and find out an additional charge is being made against me.

If the police were considering a charge of dangerous driving (presumably for you driving prior to the accident if no one saw it actually happen) then I would expect that they would ask to interview you again, and if so, ensure you have a solicitor with you.
They are not likely to just ‘ambush you at court with an extra charge, but even if they did, you would just ask for an adjournment to consider the alleged offence.
Unless you put others at serious risk, I would not expect the police to pursue a dangerous driving offence after a one vehicle RTC. You will get a 17-22 month ban for the drink driving, and if the evidence shows your driving was poor to cause the accident it could well be at the top end of that scale.

If the police were considering a charge of dangerous driving (presumably for you driving prior to the accident if no one saw it actually happen) then I would expect that they would ask to interview you again, and if so, ensure you have a solicitor with you.
They are not likely to just ‘ambush you at court with an extra charge, but even if they did, you would just ask for an adjournment to consider the alleged offence.
Unless you put others at serious risk, I would not expect the police to pursue a dangerous driving offence after a one vehicle RTC. You will get a 17-22 month ban for the drink driving, and if the evidence shows your driving was poor to cause the accident it could well be at the top end of that scale.
Thank you for taking the time to read my post and providing the information in your response. I don’t believe I put others at serious risk and I’m reassured by your response so I’ll just try my best to prepare for the day.

If the magistrates do not offer a Drink Drive Rehabilitation course, make a note to ask for one before your case is finished. It will reduce your ban by up to 25%. It Cannot be offered after your case is closed in court

why in the right mind would you stay at the scene if you know you had a drink no one was injured park the car up go home and sort it in the morning

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off