Charged

Convicted Driver Insurance

Emithoma

I was involved in a road traffic collision on 6/5/21. I drove from my house about a mile and a half down the road. With three sets of traffic lights and a roundabout. On the straight stretch my e cigarette fell out of the middle console and near my pedals, as I bent down to pick it up my car clipped the curb and flipped into a tree. I managed to climb out myself and a passer by called the emergency services. I blew at the roadside but not told my reading. I was sent to the hospital to be checked over and had my bloods taken by the police doctor. It came back yesterday that I was 142mg of alcohol over 100 mil litres of blood. First time offence no other criminal convictions and had passed my test for 9 months. What will my outcome be? I am greatly remorseful that I could of really hurt someone

Is there any way I can get out of having to re-take my test? Do references do you any benefit in court? This is so out of character for me

Is there any way I can get out of having to re-take my test? Do references do you any benefit in court? This is so out of character for me
i think it is discretionary (up to the magistrate on the day) for new drivers but perhaps someone else could clarify? https://www.drinkdriving.org/drink_driving_information_retaking_test.php
Some people have said character references helped them but the court wasn't interested in mine at all.
Your level was in the lowest band, you did have an accident so that's a possible aggraviting factor. Might be worth getting a solitictor to represent you if you want the maximum chance of not having to retake the test but again somone more knowledgable will perhaps offer more advice on that. There's a legal subforum on here where only a solicitor will reply so might be worth asking there too.

The advice you have been given about the length of the ban is correct.
As regards having to retake your test, that is unlikely.
The law that makes drivers retake their test if they get 6 or more points in the first 2 years does not apply, because drink driving carries a straight ban and no points.
The court can order a retest, but this is normally only for elderly drivers or new drivers in their first 1-3 months. As it was 9 months since you passed your test then I think a retest is most unlikely.
The Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course can reduce your ban by up to 25% if you are offered and complete it, but it has to be offered on the day so make a note to ask for it in court before your case finishes if the magistrates do not offer it.

Thank you all so much. Would this offence make the newspaper? I really don’t want to be highlighted for this I’m ashamed of myself as it is. Is there a worse case scenario I can put in my mind for an outcome? Or is the above more than likely?

I have to revise your possible ban upwards, I am afraid…..
Up to 138 in blood attracts a 12-16 month ban, so your reading of 142 puts you in the 17-22 month bracket.
The press can be a lottery, it depends on what news is about that week, and if there are more interesting cases to report at the court. You may make the ‘in court this week’ column in the local paper with basic details of you and what you were convicted of, but many people do not read this anyway.
I would suggest getting character references - one from your employer and one from someone of standing in the community.
djneilsmith98 says that his references made no difference in his case but they often do help.
Look smart on the day and apologise to the court for taking up their time and that of the police. You will see at court that many people show up clearly showing little respect for the court so looking smart and apologetic can make a difference to the outcome. (But within the guidelines)

I was involved in a road traffic collision on 6/5/21. I drove from my house about a mile and a half down the road. With three sets of traffic lights and a roundabout. On the straight stretch my e cigarette fell out of the middle console and near my pedals, as I bent down to pick it up my car clipped the curb and flipped into a tree. I managed to climb out myself and a passer by called the emergency services. I blew at the roadside but not told my reading. I was sent to the hospital to be checked over and had my bloods taken by the police doctor. It came back yesterday that I was 142mg of alcohol over 100 mil litres of blood. First time offence no other criminal convictions and had passed my test for 9 months. What will my outcome be? I am greatly remorseful that I could of really hurt someone
Really sorry to hear about your ordeal. Thankfully looks like no one was seriously hurt. Just wanted to ask, how did they contact you to let you know your blood test result? I am asking as I had a similar incident to yourself and have been waiting for 3 months now.

Really sorry to hear about your ordeal. Thankfully looks like no one was seriously hurt. Just wanted to ask, how did they contact you to let you know your blood test result? I am asking as I had a similar incident to yourself and have been waiting for 3 months now.
Hi, I had a letter through the post yesterday. I waited just under 3 months

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off