CDT testing

Convicted Driver Insurance

plopper

Hello,
License revoked for dependency here. No booze since Feb 5th and pretty easy so far. Clean license, no DD but I've been told to get tested as often as possible. Where do I get that done so it's official and recorded?

Hello,
License revoked for dependency here. No booze since Feb 5th and pretty easy so far. Clean license, no DD but I've been told to get tested as often as possible. Where do I get that done so it's official and recorded?
You have come to the right place please do some reading up the process you are talking about is not a walk in the park. Help is on hand

Hello,

You have to have regular LFTs done by your GP not CDTs. You can pay for private CDTs at your own expense but the DVLA will not accept this as evidence of sobriety.

CJ

You have to have regular LFTs done by your GP not CDTs. You can pay for private CDTs at your own expense but the DVLA will not accept this as evidence of sobriety.

CJ
I was told by a solicitor that LFT is considered not that reliable and to do loads of CDTs. This is so confusing. I haven't touched a drop since early Feb and just want it recorded as proof.

CJ
I had one LFT in 2018, all normal. Never had any since then. Just the CDT tests with the DVLA.

Do the DVLA want you to get LFTs?

LFT's give an indication of ongoing liver health. Although not that reliable at indicating recent alcohol abuse, over a long term it can show that your liver is healthy and not overly affected by your alcohol use. CDT gives an indication of recent alcohol intake, over the last few months or so generally.

The solicitor who said to do loads of CDT's is talking out of his arse. DVLA will not use external CDT results as there is no proof that it is you that did them, most GP's will not carry out CDT tests as there is no medical reason for them to do so - in many instances, GP's do not even know what a CDT test is!

DVLA do not tell people how to prove alcohol abstinence or drinking within guidelines, however they do want some proof - this burden of proof is down to you. This is where many people have found having their GP on board with their application, a date of last drink recorded with them and a few LFT's to show their liver is either within healthy parameters (or at least going in the right direction) is helpful with their application.

At the end of the day, DVLA have clamped down quite hard on people - they require proof, but won't tell you what proof they want! If you have been classed as dependent you are expected to be abstinent FOR LIFE (or at least until they reissue a full 10 year licence). Any mention of alcohol intake will see a further revocation. Again many people wrongly think that a decent low % of their CDT test at their medical is enough to get their licence back. This is not necessarily the case, CDT is only 1 of the things they look at. They also look at whatever they already know, anything any other agencies pass on to them, the questionnaire and report from the medical and any GP notes passed on to them.

LFT's give an indication of ongoing liver health. Although not that reliable at indicating recent alcohol abuse, over a long term it can show that your liver is healthy and not overly affected by your alcohol use. CDT gives an indication of recent alcohol intake, over the last few months or so generally.

The solicitor who said to do loads of CDT's is talking out of his arse. DVLA will not use external CDT results as there is no proof that it is you that did them, most GP's will not carry out CDT tests as there is no medical reason for them to do so - in many instances, GP's do not even know what a CDT test is!

DVLA do not tell people how to prove alcohol abstinence or drinking within guidelines, however they do want some proof - this burden of proof is down to you. This is where many people have found having their GP on board with their application, a date of last drink recorded with them and a few LFT's to show their liver is either within healthy parameters (or at least going in the right direction) is helpful with their application.

At the end of the day, DVLA have clamped down quite hard on people - they require proof, but won't tell you what proof they want! If you have been classed as dependent you are expected to be abstinent FOR LIFE (or at least until they reissue a full 10 year licence). Any mention of alcohol intake will see a further revocation. Again many people wrongly think that a decent low % of their CDT test at their medical is enough to get their licence back. This is not necessarily the case, CDT is only 1 of the things they look at. They also look at whatever they already know, anything any other agencies pass on to them, the questionnaire and report from the medical and any GP notes passed on to them.
Oh blimey. Cos before reading your reply I called the DVLA. Got through to licencing and medical team and they said just re-apply in December and they'll ask for forms to be filled and might ask for a bloody test. This is driving me nuts. I'm completely happy not drinking and I'm willing to test my head off. I did wonder about the advice about CDT tests cos like you say, that doesn't really prove it's even me that took the test. GRRR!

Good post, every case is judged on its individuality.

A couple of years ago when I wrote a letter to the DVLA I got a letter back from " DVLA complex case unit" don't know if anybody has heard of that before, Although I don't see what is complex about my case.

Oh blimey. Cos before reading your reply I called the DVLA. Got through to licencing and medical team and they said just re-apply in December and they'll ask for forms to be filled and might ask for a bloody test. This is driving me nuts. I'm completely happy not drinking and I'm willing to test my head off. I did wonder about the advice about CDT tests cos like you say, that doesn't really prove it's even me that took the test. GRRR!

Hi mate

You will literally crack up with ringing them. Get official letter writing even if by snail post. The amount of cocky advisors I've had on the phone over the years I've lost count and Ive never been aggressive once to them. Just asking for information about something that is fundamentally my life!

I was told by a solicitor that LFT is considered not that reliable and to do loads of CDTs. This is so confusing. I haven't touched a drop since early Feb and just want it recorded as proof.
Hi there plopper..hope this might help you..I was totally confused just the same before. Thank god I joined this forum two weeks ago and now things are a lot clearer thanks to everyone’s brilliant contributions and experiences.

What you need to do first of all is contact your surgery. Get an appointment or a telephone coveration with one of the gps or your own gp if you know who that is..?

I did a list of questions I needed to ask so I was prepared. You need to know if you are a misuser or a dependant, if you are a misuser you will need to abstain from alcohol for six months and if you are a dependent it’s twelve months. Your gp can tell this from your medical records.

The DVLA need proof that you are not drinking and the only way you can prove this is by having a liver function test (LFT) done every twelve weeks, so try nd get your first one booked in asap, as you will need at least four if you are abstaining for twelve months , and two to three over six months. These will be recorded by the gp and stored on your medical records. Your gp will then enter the dates and results on the DD2 form which will be sent after your CDT and medical with a DVLA doctor.

It’s really important you get these done and documented , plus your gp needs to,put down on your records your last date of drinking, as again DVLA will want to see this.

I am just going through this atm so,let me know if you need any help. It’s a shame that solicitors who you pay good money for don’t seem to know how the system works which is worrying in itself….🙄🙄
Good luck with it all my friend

Hi mate

You will literally crack up with ringing them. Get official letter writing even if by snail post. The amount of cocky advisors I've had on the phone over the years I've lost count and Ive never been aggressive once to them. Just asking for information about something that is fundamentally my life!
He was perfectly polite but did seem a bit irritated with me questioning the 3-way conflicting advice I've had. I assumed they would be the ones to know. Horse's mouth and all that. So now i have a solicitor saying, "ignore advice from armchair lawyers on forums, people on farms telling me to ignore solicitors and the DVLA saying just reapply in adecember and you might be asked to get tested. This is crazy.

He was perfectly polite but did seem a bit irritated with me questioning the 3-way conflicting advice I've had. I assumed they would be the ones to know. Horse's mouth and all that. So now i have a solicitor saying, "ignore advice from armchair lawyers on forums, people on farms telling me to ignore solicitors and the DVLA saying just reapply in adecember and you might be asked to get tested. This is crazy.
Back in 2020 I found myself in the same position as you plopper although the wrongful revocation was thankfully quickly lifted ( literally days before first lockdown) GP tick box errors. I managed to highlight this with the both the DVLA and GP and get it overturned.

I wish you the best of luck mate.

Hi there plopper..hope this might help you..I was totally confused just the same before. Thank god I joined this forum two weeks ago and now things are a lot clearer thanks to everyone’s brilliant contributions and experiences.

What you need to do first of all is contact your surgery. Get an appointment or a telephone coveration with one of the gps or your own gp if you know who that is..?

I did a list of questions I needed to ask so I was prepared. You need to know if you are a misuser or a dependant, if you are a misuser you will need to abstain from alcohol for six months and if you are a dependent it’s twelve months. Your gp can tell this from your medical records.

The DVLA need proof that you are not drinking and the only way you can prove this is by having a liver function test (LFT) done every twelve weeks, so try nd get your first one booked in asap, as you will need at least four if you are abstaining for twelve months , and two to three over six months. These will be recorded by the gp and stored on your medical records. Your gp will then enter the dates and results on the DD2 form which will be sent after your CDT and medical with a DVLA doctor.

It’s really important you get these done and documented , plus your gp needs to,put down on your records your last date of drinking, as again DVLA will want to see this.

I am just going through this atm so,let me know if you need any help. It’s a shame that solicitors who you pay good money for don’t seem to know how the system works which is worrying in itself….🙄🙄
Good luck with it all my friend
Ok thanks. Well I have an appointment with the doctor in about 10 days. I hope he knows his stuff cos I had to tell him about the "last date of drinking" thing. He'd never even heard of it. I just want to get this whole thing moving. I'd love to take any test right this minute and be breathalysed every bloody day if that's what they want.

Back in 2020 I found myself in the same position as you plopper although the wrongful revocation was thankfully quickly lifted ( literally days before first lockdown) GP tick box errors. I managed to highlight this with the both the DVLA and GP and get it overturned.

I wish you the best of luck mate.
Cheers. A good result for you there. In my case it's justified and I have no argument with them. I've never had a sip of alcohol before driving or ever risked the morning after thing but of course, they don't know that. Luckily, the not drinking thing has been surprisingly easy for 4 months, and I just want to get back on the road, driving like a (sober) little old man as I always have done.

I had one LFT in 2018, all normal. Never had any since then. Just the CDT tests with the DVLA.

Do the DVLA want you to get LFTs?
I spoke with the DVLA and they haven't even told me to get any test. Just reapply for my license in December and they' might ask for a test then!?!?!?

CJ
Ok thanks. I've been here for a few days without singing up but keep seeing talking about how to pass a CDT test even though that's not what's asked for by the DVLA. Brain hurting now.

Ok thanks. I've been here for a few days without singing up but keep seeing talking about how to pass a CDT test even though that's not what's asked for by the DVLA. Brain hurting now.
What has happened exactly mate ?were you driving on a temporary licence and the DVLA has revoked it?

Your GP is the only Doctor of Record that the DVLA will accept. Most don't know what a CDT test is and will only offer LFT's.

What has happened exactly mate ?were you driving on a temporary licence and the DVLA has revoked it?
Treated for alcohol dependency. License revoked. At least 12 months and trying to grt definitive answer for what to do. No driving offences or anything like that ever, i just grsdually turned into a p1ss head.. Just trying to get the license back as soon as possible and don't want to trip up by not doing the right thing. Forum members say do this, solicitor says something else, DVLA say something else. I'm going bonkers.

Treated for alcohol dependency. License revoked. At least 12 months and trying to grt definitive answer for what to do. No driving offences or anything like that ever, i just grsdually turned into a p1ss head.. Just trying to get the license back as soon as possible and don't want to trip up by not doing the right thing. Forum members say do this, solicitor says something else, DVLA say something else. I'm going bonkers.
Well I've at least got a blood test booked for Wednesday to do an LFT. Doctor said my liver looked OK back in February when I was in hospital so that's nice to know. Now I at least don't have anything to fear on that front. No alcohol since early Feb so I'm hoping that will show up. Gonna ask solicitor why he suggests CDTs if they're not accepted by DVLA.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off