CDT test

Convicted Driver Insurance

Paddy.11

I’m having a CDT test, I don’t know when but anytime soon. I hadn’t had a drink for 12 days yet yesterday I slipped and had 20cl of vodka (mixed with orange)…. Before that, up to 12 days ago I was drinking that what I had yesterday about every other day.
will this slip up show a positive in my CDDT test?

I’m having a CDT test, I don’t know when but anytime soon. I hadn’t had a drink for 12 days yet yesterday I slipped and had 20cl of vodka (mixed with orange)…. Before that, up to 12 days ago I was drinking that what I had yesterday about every other day.

Paddy

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's fair to say you are at risk of failing the CDT. I am assuming you are a HRO coming to the end of a driving ban?

The CDT is used by the DVLA to determine alcohol levels in the human liver. Best practice is to abstain for as a long as possible - in my case I hadn't consumed alcohol for 15 months prior to my CDT last year.

The DVLA can vary the CDT limit for each candidate, but as a benchmark - if you have been placed in the category of alcohol 'misuser' or 'dependant' the DVLA expect a result of less than 1.5% for your reading. Mine was set at 1.3% and the reading was 0.9%.

If you was to take part in a CDT tomorrow after a cheeky vodka orange on Friday, you would probably be looking at a CDT of at least 3.0+% because the alcohol hasn't digested through your system. The human body takes 14 days to cleanse itself of any alcohol toxins after the last drink.

You have to be honest with yourself - which is more important - having a drink or getting your licence back?

Given what you have a disclosed here, I would be tempted to reschedule your CDT test for next month and have a solid four weeks (minimum!) off the booze.

The cost of a HRO medical is £100+ (I can't remember the exact figure) and you might as well throw your cash down the drain if you've been on the vodka just a few days before!

The DVLA will automatically fail you and you will not be able to re-apply for your driving licence for a minimum of six months - during which you will not be able to drive. After that you will have to pay (yet again) for any further HRO medicals until you pass.

This forum is a fantastic site for advise and information, but members are only here to help those who are helping themselves. You need to at least realise that getting your licence back isn't a walk in the park and takes a lot of effort and will power. Sadly it seems, these are areas you need to focus on before you can get back on the road.

CJ

Thanks for this CJ, yes I’m coming to the end of a ban yet most of all I want to get my use of alcohol under control. Would like to quit, well I Need to quit!
I was on a role for 12 days then I just had a mad ‘sod it’ moment and now really regret it! Nearly two weeks just undone by that one isolated fix’.

yes, I saw somewhere that even after a couple of weeks abstinent, as soon as you start drinking again the levels can that reduced can shit right back up!
I guess it back to day one again then and have to stick to this! Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll try and delay the test for at least 1 month.
thanks….

Paddy

Welcome to the forum.

I think it's fair to say you are at risk of failing the CDT. I am assuming you are a HRO coming to the end of a driving ban?

The CDT is used by the DVLA to determine alcohol levels in the human liver. Best practice is to abstain for as a long as possible - in my case I hadn't consumed alcohol for 15 months prior to my CDT last year.

The DVLA can vary the CDT limit for each candidate, but as a benchmark - if you have been placed in the category of alcohol 'misuser' or 'dependant' the DVLA expect a result of less than 1.5% for your reading. Mine was set at 1.3% and the reading was 0.9%.

If you was to take part in a CDT tomorrow after a cheeky vodka orange on Friday, you would probably be looking at a CDT of at least 3.0+% because the alcohol hasn't digested through your system. The human body takes 14 days to cleanse itself of any alcohol toxins after the last drink.

You have to be honest with yourself - which is more important - having a drink or getting your licence back?

Given what you have a disclosed here, I would be tempted to reschedule your CDT test for next month and have a solid four weeks (minimum!) off the booze.

The cost of a HRO medical is £100+ (I can't remember the exact figure) and you might as well throw your cash down the drain if you've been on the vodka just a few days before!

The DVLA will automatically fail you and you will not be able to re-apply for your driving licence for a minimum of six months - during which you will not be able to drive. After that you will have to pay (yet again) for any further HRO medicals until you pass.

This forum is a fantastic site for advise and information, but members are only here to help those who are helping themselves. You need to at least realise that getting your licence back isn't a walk in the park and takes a lot of effort and will power. Sadly it seems, these are areas you need to focus on before you can get back on the road.

CJ
Thanks for this CJ, yes I’m coming to the end of a ban yet most of all I want to get my use of alcohol under control. Would like to quit, well I Need to quit!
I was on a role for 12 days then I just had a mad ‘sod it’ moment and now really regret it! Nearly two weeks just undone by that one isolated fix’.

yes, I saw somewhere that even after a couple of weeks abstinent, as soon as you start drinking again the levels can that reduced can shit right back up!
I guess it back to day one again then and have to stick to this! Thanks for the advice, I think I’ll try and delay the test for at least 1 month.
thanks….

thanks….
I decided to stop drinking, regardless of any medical / test as I definitely needed to . It is now nearly 2 years . It is such a relief . I’ve got my licence back but in my case that is only one ( albeit big) of the benefits. My not drinking made the whole medical process easier for I had none of the concerns that people have on here ( understandable ) re failing test , how much can I drink etc etc . I’m not judging at all but for me it was one less thing to worry about . Good luck with it 😃

thanks….
This might be hard to hear Paddy, but seriously consider going to Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm coming to the end of my 2nd ban in 5 years, went to AA 2 years ago and haven't looked back. If you put the effort in, go to the meetings, get some phone numbers, then those 'sod it' moments are easier to deal with by calling and talking to someone.

I had my own CDT test a couple of weeks ago and it came back with a result of 0.2%.

thanks….
What happened with your medical?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off