CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Did not mean that offensively towards anybody. Yeah I've been young and stupid. I don't consider myself to be an alcoholic, nor do I agree with the UK governments classification. But hey ho I'm probably wrong and maybe an alcoholic in others' eyes. I wasn't concerned until i looked at this forum.

Anybody similar to me have any input?

Thanks Tom, champ!

Not all alcoholics are swigging from vodka on park benches you know! I don't know you, I don't know exactly how much you drink but I do know you are just as likely to be an alcoholic as someone drinking at 11am as you didn't learn from your first time of being banned.

If you are happy with your consumption then go for it champ! If you're concerned that you may actually fail the medical then that answers your own question.

Geroge0V
If you had to previously do a medical more that 3 years ago, they had their traffic light system for CDT and if your sample was under 3.0% then, providing your GP didn’t raise any concerns, you got your licence back.
These days doctors are consulted much more often and if there are concerns on your file about alcohol Ldependence you do not get your licence back unless you have a CDT score of under 1%.
welcome to the new world of the DVLA merry go round!

Hi there, Big Tom gives it to people straight (he's got a lot of great info for people and is very kind to people to offer this), but yeah, the test is VERY precise, to a T .... yes your body met etc and liver function etc has a good deal to do with it, as you do, i disagree with the terms the gov uses, most people would be classed as heavy drinkers and allkeys on the scale the government is using imo........ Yet this is their game and you must play by those rules....... I will never drink drive again........... I now have a breath tester and if i'm over, it's the bike for me, not the car..

Your body gives off what you take in on the CDT count, it only fails due to body variables on a rare occasions.. ask yourself, why are they using that test? It works! simple answer

I don't doubt that but in this case I was attacked, nothing answered.

Me neither It was very unfortunate circumstances the second time, the courts even thought so, believe it or not. Got the absolute minimum but 3 years is still a long time. I'm so used to cycling everywhere when at home now hate the thought of walking... or driving, lol.

Do you think im likely to fail then? For drinking 2-3 evenings a week. If so would not drinking from today until the medical make a difference or would the recent months have already done the damage. Therefore maybe I should cancel and take it at a later date.

Geroge0V
If you had to previously do a medical more that 3 years ago, they had their traffic light system for CDT and if your sample was under 3.0% then, providing your GP didn’t raise any concerns, you got your licence back.
These days doctors are consulted much more often and if there are concerns on your file about alcohol Ldependence you do not get your licence back unless you have a CDT score of under 1%.
welcome to the new world of the DVLA merry go round!

Jesus, old systems worked good enough for me. What percentage am I allowed is there nothing on my record to suggest I may be an dependant?

Dont think Big Tom was attacking ya, he's just a blunt fooker and says it like it is, but it can seem that wayi suppose.....

It depends on how MUCH you're drinking mate , drink 3 times a week, 1 bottle of wine at 13.5 % and yes, you will defo fail imo and the test and the govs figs.... that's way over the Limit they are saying...

Here's the deal here, CDT below 1.7% pass..

between 1.7 and 2.2% suggests recent alcohol intake

2.3% and 2.9%

indicates heavey amounts (risk taking)

3.0% you're food

now look at this:

my test was done by snylab (DVLA, med)

the real deal what they let slip on the papers i got is this:

<1.3 DVLA green
1.3 - 1.6 DVLA amber
>1.7 DVLA red....

so there you have the truth.... mine was 0.4%

So they may have made a mistake on showing me this, send me the real test results and what they're looking for, but that's it, get below 1.3% if they don't ask your docs that is and full driving lisence back.......... any dependency and your fooked

Thanks very useful information, had you stopped drinking altogether a while before your medical then? I was considering trying to rebook the appointment for early December and having a dry lockdown.

Hi everybody.

I am pretty shocked with some of the stuff I'm reading. People taking supplements and not drinking for months before a medical? Is it really that sensitive? Not downplaying, genuinely curious.

I unfortunately have been banned for my second time, i was a HRO the first time too so had a medical. I was around 21, working away from home, drinking most nights 4-6 pints, went to Ibiza for a week, drinking most of the day, got back and had my medical a week afterwards and passed!

Maybe I passed because my metabolism was so quick.

So I'm a little concerned from looking through the forum. The last couple of months I've been busy, couple of holidays, weekends away. Drinking and eating! I had my birthday recently so a few meals to many, etc. This last week I have been enjoying a few last blasts with friends due to the next lockdown.

My medical is just over 2 weeks away. I genuinely thought you'd only fail if your the sort of person to drink wine and vodka at 11am, etc. I.e. an alcoholic.

Should I be concerned I might fail? Is there anybody with similar drinking habits prior to the medical that have passed?

Thanks in advance

George
So everyones experience is different but, i was also HRO fIling to provide, after doing the drink drive course i was banned for 23 months. I took my medical on the 14th october and had my licence back as of the 31st october. I drank 11 days before hand around 16 units in total and drink twice a month, dinner with the girls is dangerous. They didnt write to my GP and results came back at 0.6. I dont class my self as a heavy drinker but i do drink so i was also expecting to fail! Just be honest on the questionaire so it tallys with ur bloods let us know how u get in xx

I'm just gonna add, I recently got a 1 year temp licence, CDT was 0.9% after not drinking for 18 months. I have dependency on my file from 18 months ago but GP confirmed no drinking since then. You've got to be honest with yourself about your drinking and your attitude towards it. Most people know if they are drinking too much but it is such a sensitive subject that a lot of people can't actually admit it, even if they know deep down that they're over doing it.

I stopped 32 days before my test........ i eat VERY healthy etc, it really does not matter what you take at all as well, it's scinence and they know what they are looking for... you take drink, they can tell by the molecule split ... wanna chance it, up to you, you now have the info.... i looked at my drinking and behaviour and it was bad.... you may think big tom and others will be sharp etc, but in reality, well you know ;o) Could you go that long without a drink, that does not mean you're not and will not be dependent if so ? That's what they're getting at on here............. Price, big Tom etc are class acts, you just have to take you're time with em, also listen, don't knock em before ya tried em, that's what i say....

all the best

Paul
Did you pass after stopping drinking for 32 days? What were your drinking habits beforehand?

Hi all,
went for my HRO medical today, as was my 2nd offence within the 10 year window,
my last drink was 6 weeks ago, which i mentioned on the questionnaire ,
I said to the Dr, hope that doesn't effect my chances of getting license back, he said it should be fine, but he not really in the position to make judgement thats down to DVLA .
after asking what happens next, he said " all gets sent of to DVLA which he do today, and i should here back in 3 weeks "
just hoping this hasn't messed my chances up mentioning this

Hi all,
I said to the Dr, hope that doesn't effect my chances of getting license back, he said it should be fine, but he not really in the position to make judgement thats down to DVLA .
after asking what happens next, he said " all gets sent of to DVLA which he do today, and i should here back in 3 weeks "
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Hi all,
What were your drinking habits before you abstained?

So by time I do my CDT it would have been 34 days no alcohol. Before hand I was socially drinking a little to much! (More than government guidelines anyway). That was 3 evenings a week, often one of those evening starting in the early afternoon.

I'm confident I will pass BUT I'm a bit spooked regarding the questionnaire having the match up to the medical.

Someone has recently enquired whether its a problem to tell the doctor you haven't drunk and if it's suspicious why you would of had to stopped. Is it?

Obviously with a lockdown it's a good enough reason but been waiting 3 1/2 years so do not want to take any risks at all.

So by time I do my CDT it would have been 34 days no alcohol. Before hand I was socially drinking a little to much! (More than government guidelines anyway). That was 3 evenings a week, often one of those evening starting in the early afternoon.

I'm confident I will pass BUT I'm a bit spooked regarding the questionnaire having the match up to the medical.

Someone has recently enquired whether its a problem to tell the doctor you haven't drunk and if it's suspicious why you would of had to stopped. Is it?

Obviously with a lockdown it's a good enough reason but been waiting 3 1/2 years so do not want to take any risks at all.
When have you got your test?

Don’t drink until you get your blood results back I had my medical 10 days ago had a couple of pints now they are saying the bloods are no good and I have to have the bloods redone
What was the reason for bloods being redone

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off