CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
Having the LFT's are good to show your GP that you're on the right track and that your liver isn't knackered. Even if the DVLA say they don't want LFT's (as a call handler recently told a member of this forum, not to bother having LFT's done), or can't accept them as evidence, it's still good to get them, even if it's just to get the support of your GP. I didn't get any LFT's done, prior to applying for my licence, however I would have, had I joined this forum sooner.
Cheers. I had a bloody test done yesterday. GP said he knew what an LFT is but didn't seem to know the scale that I've seen mentioned here. Eg 0-1 is good.

Cheers. I had a bloody test done yesterday. GP said he knew what an LFT is but didn't seem to know the scale that I've seen mentioned here. Eg 0-1 is good.
Think you are getting a bit confused! The less than 1% is what someone classed as dependent is expected to get on the CDT not the LFT.

LFT (Liver Function Test) has a few different parameters that are checked to assess the functionality and general health of your liver. A one off test gives you some readings, however follow up tests a few months apart give you an indication of either stability or the results going in the right direction.

CDT however has only one reading and it is given as a percentage. The old 'traffic light system' (not used by DVLA any longer) seemed to suggest a reading of less than 1.6% indicated no recent excessive alcohol intake, however it does not 'prove' abstinence - hence the GP support and LFT's to back up (again without absolute proof) your medium term relationship with alcohol.

Think you are getting a bit confused! The less than 1% is what someone classed as dependent is expected to get on the CDT not the LFT.

LFT (Liver Function Test) has a few different parameters that are checked to assess the functionality and general health of your liver. A one off test gives you some readings, however follow up tests a few months apart give you an indication of either stability or the results going in the right direction.

CDT however has only one reading and it is given as a percentage. The old 'traffic light system' (not used by DVLA any longer) seemed to suggest a reading of less than 1.6% indicated no recent excessive alcohol intake, however it does not 'prove' abstinence - hence the GP support and LFT's to back up (again without absolute proof) your medium term relationship with alcohol.
Thanks. Yes, I think I am getting confused between the results of the test. That explains why the GP didn't know what I was blabbing on about with the results I was expecting to see. He did say the LFT that eas done while I was in the hospital was OK so hopefully this one will be the same. I'll be p1ssed off if it isn't. The only thing I should be suffering from is orange juice and chocolate milk shake poisoning!

If the DVLA won't take notice of LFTs then what will they if CDTs aren't either?
Im not sure what your question actually is. LFTs can be affected by so many things, like infection, prescribed drugs, reactions to prescribed drugs underlying liver disease nothing related to alcohol but can be related to alcohol use to. Essentially LFTs are NOT specific to alcohol , a CDT test on the other hand is specific to alcohol usage. as its directly related to the metabolism of alcohol so if a lot of alcohol is being consumed it will be raised and take a a lot longer to get back to normal after cessation of drinking compared to a small or moderate amount. But any drinking will affect the CDT test. Thats why it's a superior test to LFTS. You could have never drank alcohol and have abnormal LFTs for years !.......... so in relation to the question from Plopper, can you perhaps be more specific and reword your question.

Re: DVLA High Risk Offender Medical

Hi Guys

Almost 3 years ago I did not get round to doing the medical. Been working abroad and haven't needed to drive.
However I am back now and do need to drive - Rapido !

I have been good with my drinking so don't have any real worries but would like to do a Mock / Practice test first, just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to the DVLA appointed doctor who is happy to do it for £160.00. Not Cheap.

On the other hand I have found medichecks advertising on this forum quoting £79.00.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these people, it is half the price and I wonder if it just too good to be true. Not wishing to cause offence but for all I know it could be some spotty faced teenager in his bedroom scamming away. I do hope not !

I would love to hear some good endorsements for this outfit, this is an important test that I need to get right first time.

Thanks.
Hi I used them and I found them good. My result with them was 0.2 % with DVLA DOCTOR 0.3% yes go for it !

Hi I used them and I found them good. My result with them was 0.2 % with DVLA DOCTOR 0.3% yes go for it !
I just did a test with them last week. For me it was £139 I think. £99 for the test and the rest to have it done at a chemist. I just got the results back tonight. I got 0.8 and a comment of, "Negative: no biochemical evidence of alcohol abuse" which is OK I suppose but I was hoping for lower cos I haven't touched a drop since early Feb. Do you know of anything else than can cause a higher reading apart from booze?

I just did a test with them last week. For me it was £139 I think. £99 for the test and the rest to have it done at a chemist. I just got the results back tonight. I got 0.8 and a comment of, "Negative: no biochemical evidence of alcohol abuse" which is OK I suppose but I was hoping for lower cos I haven't touched a drop since early Feb. Do you know of anything else than can cause a higher reading apart from booze?
Diet, lifestyle (in general, I believe) and previous alcohol dependency/misuse, these are things that could be the cause of a higher 'expected' CDT percentage.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting 0.8%, it's still very good. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol (knowingly) for just over 7 years and my CDT percentage this year was 1.0% and was 0.9% last year.

Diet, lifestyle (in general, I believe) and previous alcohol dependency/misuse, these are things that could be the cause of a higher 'expected' CDT percentage.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting 0.8%, it's still very good. I haven't touched a drop of alcohol (knowingly) for just over 7 years and my CDT percentage this year was 1.0% and was 0.9% last year.

The CDT is not an exact science. I’ve heard of people on this forum getting scores of 0.4% after just a few weeks abstinence, while others who have been alcohol free for years still get scores of 1.0%. I don’t necessarily think it is anything to be concerned about though.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off