CDT Test (Carbohydrate Deficient Transferrin)

Convicted Driver Insurance
So like I said, really glad I came on here but it's just reconfirmed the fact I shouldn't even have one.
it's easy saying that now, as when I'm on this date I know I'll be nervous, and my brain will be demanding to be calmed down.
How did the medical go?

(I'm actually more interested as how the date went, but didn't know how to ask without sounding nosey!)

Hello,

Sorry to reply to your message but I wasn’t sure how to create a new thread.

I just want to give some people reassurance. I was caught DD back in November 2021. I was 98 in breath so automatically considered a HRO. This was my first ever driving offence, driving for 12 years and not one point. However that night was a huge lapse of judgment and a lot of mitigating factors. Anyway, I was banned for 24 months. Did the rehab course which reduced it to 18 months. I applied for my licence back in May 2023. Obviously had to go for a medical also.

Medical:
This consists of a questionnaire about your drinking habits past & future. It also asks about your medication past & future.
And a brief physical examination, eyes, tummy etc. & of course the CDT blood test.
I did not stop drinking for 12 months. However I did not drink every single month, just the normal occassions, occasional night out etc, I had a bottle of cider 2 weeks before the medical. If you stay within the guidelines then you’ll be absolutely fine.

My ban was due up on 1st July 2023

It took 3 weeks for the DVLA to look at the results and because I was a HRO they wrote to my GP to obtain my medical records. This is to see whether I had any alcohol related medication/ seizures/ injuries etc. they will also look at any medication you’re currently taking.
My GP took a further 3 weeks to send this information to my GP.
In all fairness the DVLA took approx 1 week and a bit to issue me with a new licence which was a complete full licence, no 1 year probation malarkey.

It’s now 29th July and albeit I’m still waiting to receive the licence in the post, I assume it’ll be imminently. So all in all it has taken approx a further 4 weeks since my ban was lifted to complete the process.

I am writing this because this whole process has been so horrific. I was constantly searching the net for advice/ guidance worried I might not drive again, but people make mistakes and as long as you appreciate that you may need to change how you approach alcohol going forward, you’ll be fine!

☺️

Hello,

Sorry to reply to your message but I wasn’t sure how to create a new thread.

I just want to give some people reassurance. I was caught DD back in November 2021. I was 98 in breath so automatically considered a HRO. This was my first ever driving offence, driving for 12 years and not one point. However that night was a huge lapse of judgment and a lot of mitigating factors. Anyway, I was banned for 24 months. Did the rehab course which reduced it to 18 months. I applied for my licence back in May 2023. Obviously had to go for a medical also.

Medical:
This consists of a questionnaire about your drinking habits past & future. It also asks about your medication past & future.
And a brief physical examination, eyes, tummy etc. & of course the CDT blood test.
I did not stop drinking for 12 months. However I did not drink every single month, just the normal occassions, occasional night out etc, I had a bottle of cider 2 weeks before the medical. If you stay within the guidelines then you’ll be absolutely fine.

My ban was due up on 1st July 2023

It took 3 weeks for the DVLA to look at the results and because I was a HRO they wrote to my GP to obtain my medical records. This is to see whether I had any alcohol related medication/ seizures/ injuries etc. they will also look at any medication you’re currently taking.
My GP took a further 3 weeks to send this information to my GP.
In all fairness the DVLA took approx 1 week and a bit to issue me with a new licence which was a complete full licence, no 1 year probation malarkey.

It’s now 29th July and albeit I’m still waiting to receive the licence in the post, I assume it’ll be imminently. So all in all it has taken approx a further 4 weeks since my ban was lifted to complete the process.

I am writing this because this whole process has been so horrific. I was constantly searching the net for advice/ guidance worried I might not drive again, but people make mistakes and as long as you appreciate that you may need to change how you approach alcohol going forward, you’ll be fine!

☺️
Thank you ever so much for this great info shortyboox well i see me not been able to drive on the 19th of august then if its taking an extra few weeks for all the info etc from the gp and dvla. I blew 101 on the road side and 98 at station so am guessing they'll want to get in touch with my gp. My medical is 4th of august. Thanks again! 😊

Re: DVLA High Risk Offender Medical

Hi Guys

Almost 3 years ago I did not get round to doing the medical. Been working abroad and haven't needed to drive.
However I am back now and do need to drive - Rapido !

I have been good with my drinking so don't have any real worries but would like to do a Mock / Practice test first, just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to the DVLA appointed doctor who is happy to do it for £160.00. Not Cheap.

On the other hand I have found medichecks advertising on this forum quoting £79.00.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these people, it is half the price and I wonder if it just too good to be true. Not wishing to cause offence but for all I know it could be some spotty faced teenager in his bedroom scamming away. I do hope not !

I would love to hear some good endorsements for this outfit, this is an important test that I need to get right first time.

Thanks.

Ive done an independent blood test from medichecks my result was 0.5% i do recommend these i paid 100 pound.

Re: DVLA High Risk Offender Medical

Hi Guys

Almost 3 years ago I did not get round to doing the medical. Been working abroad and haven't needed to drive.
However I am back now and do need to drive - Rapido !

I have been good with my drinking so don't have any real worries but would like to do a Mock / Practice test first, just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to the DVLA appointed doctor who is happy to do it for £160.00. Not Cheap.

On the other hand I have found medichecks advertising on this forum quoting £79.00.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for these people, it is half the price and I wonder if it just too good to be true. Not wishing to cause offence but for all I know it could be some spotty faced teenager in his bedroom scamming away. I do hope not !

I would love to hear some good endorsements for this outfit, this is an important test that I need to get right first time.

Thanks.
Your GP will give you a bloods form, including GammaGT
Costs nothing, CDT is their gauge, but GammaGT is a good marker
If it’s higher than ,say 100, then lay off the booze for a bit, up to 95 is considered normal drinking habits

As an HRO myself, and with my Surgery’s supply doctor, for want of a better term, who knew nothing about me, answering the questions wrongly (that I had not only a history of dependence but still was dependent) and then subsequently writing countless letters apologising for the mistake, that I was only ever misusing, am still only issued with a medical review license, and have to take a medical annually, despite my arguments that I have no medical case to answer.

The DVLA Medical Team are not fit for purpose sadly, the entire organisation needs razing to the ground metaphorically, and starting again.

You want a new passport?
A week
New license?
Months before a reply, and if you have a query, forget it.
The poor saps in Swansea simoly read off a screen that “ sorry that’s all it says” before they jump back on their PS5 to olay Fortnite

Your GP will give you a bloods form, including GammaGT
Costs nothing, CDT is their gauge, but GammaGT is a good marker
If it’s higher than ,say 100, then lay off the booze for a bit, up to 95 is considered normal drinking habits

As an HRO myself, and with my Surgery’s supply doctor, for want of a better term, who knew nothing about me, answering the questions wrongly (that I had not only a history of dependence but still was dependent) and then subsequently writing countless letters apologising for the mistake, that I was only ever misusing, am still only issued with a medical review license, and have to take a medical annually, despite my arguments that I have no medical case to answer.

The DVLA Medical Team are not fit for purpose sadly, the entire organisation needs razing to the ground metaphorically, and starting again.

You want a new passport?
A week
New license?
Months before a reply, and if you have a query, forget it.
The poor saps in Swansea simoly read off a screen that “ sorry that’s all it says” before they jump back on their PS5 to olay Fortnite
Totally agree can’t understand a word they are saying half the time . Just to save you time and money don’t bother trying to get your license back early it won’t happen trust me my mum is in a care home I have to walk miles to see her I worry about my safety I’m getting abuse from neighbours due to name and shame re Sussex police giving out my name and address. There are no mitigating circumstances for dd although a solicitor will tell you so at a cost until you get to court 😂plead guilty you will get less of a sentence no I got the maximum and he thought that was a good result then paid for aspire course nothing to do with my solicitor the court offered it . As for DVLA apparently they will decide if I get my license back I don’t remember that in court. I’m sorry the whole DVLA needs a shake up they ask if your fit to drive my dad was 92 still driving my mum has dementia and was driving

Totally agree can’t understand a word they are saying half the time . Just to save you time and money don’t bother trying to get your license back early it won’t happen trust me my mum is in a care home I have to walk miles to see her I worry about my safety I’m getting abuse from neighbours due to name and shame re Sussex police giving out my name and address. There are no mitigating circumstances for dd although a solicitor will tell you so at a cost until you get to court 😂plead guilty you will get less of a sentence no I got the maximum and he thought that was a good result then paid for aspire course nothing to do with my solicitor the court offered it . As for DVLA apparently they will decide if I get my license back I don’t remember that in court. I’m sorry the whole DVLA needs a shake up they ask if your fit to drive my dad was 92 still driving my mum has dementia and was driving
What do you mean by 'Sussex police giving out your name and address?'

There is often a court reporter there from a local newspaper who will take details of your conviction and depending on how slow a news day it is, these might get published in the local press or online.

I was lucky in that the two times I was found guilty, nothing appeared in the local press.

There are people on this forum who have gotten their licence back early, but just because it is inconveniencing you does not mean it will happen. The judge will ask why you can't get a taxi or a bus to see your mum in the care home.

If your mum had dementia and was still driving, did you report this to the DVLA? Better still, as a concerned family member, why didn't you simply take her car keys off her?

What do you mean by 'Sussex police giving out your name and address?'

There is often a court reporter there from a local newspaper who will take details of your conviction and depending on how slow a news day it is, these might get published in the local press or online.

I was lucky in that the two times I was found guilty, nothing appeared in the local press.

There are people on this forum who have gotten their licence back early, but just because it is inconveniencing you does not mean it will happen. The judge will ask why you can't get a taxi or a bus to see your mum in the care home.

If your mum had dementia and was still driving, did you report this to the DVLA? Better still, as a concerned family member, why didn't you simply take her car keys off her?
Sussex police did a campaign for name and shame I unfortunately wasn’t allowed that same as shame when I wanted to post pictures of the burglars that robbed my house apparently I have to wait for them to be convicted 😂that’s going to be a long wait . As I’ve said no mitigating circumstances get a bus taxi trust me tried it all and a solicitor will bang on they can get you off 😂. And yes I’ve taken the keys of my mum although DVLA sent her a letter saying was she ok to drive she thought she could she also thinks she has a 17 bedroom house in the isle of whight

Sussex police did a campaign for name and shame I unfortunately wasn’t allowed that same as shame when I wanted to post pictures of the burglars that robbed my house apparently I have to wait for them to be convicted 😂that’s going to be a long wait . As I’ve said no mitigating circumstances get a bus taxi trust me tried it all and a solicitor will bang on they can get you off 😂. And yes I’ve taken the keys of my mum although DVLA sent her a letter saying was she ok to drive she thought she could she also thinks she has a 17 bedroom house in the isle of whight

I don't agree with this 'name & shame' nonscene for drink drivers. Some drink drivers are people struggling with alcohol issues who are going through very difficult periods in their lives. Why not kick a person when they are down just to finally tip them over the edge completely? Nice one Sussex Police.

CJ

I don't agree with this 'name & shame' nonscene for drink drivers. Some drink drivers are people struggling with alcohol issues who are going through very difficult periods in their lives. Why not kick a person when they are down just to finally tip them over the edge completely? Nice one Sussex Police.

CJ
Agree don’t get me wrong if the local press reported it fine but for Sussex police to have a campaign to name and shame giving out my name and address and yes when I’ve been abused because of this did I report no because what response would I get serves you right I imagine

CJ
Also I pleaded guilty obviously and told my insurance company the truth all money was paid up you would think that would be it but no Mr greedy added an extra insurance claim for a knee injury that he got years ago from football he is now being investigated by the FCA

Also I pleaded guilty obviously and told my insurance company the truth all money was paid up you would think that would be it but no Mr greedy added an extra insurance claim for a knee injury that he got years ago from football he is now being investigated by the FCA
I very much doubt he is being investigated by the FCA, they are the watchdog of the Financial Industry, unless he is a regulated person at a financial firm. Maybe being looked at by IFED (Insurance Fraud Enforcement Department), part of City of London Police.

My experience of the DVLA Medical CDT Test:-

Returning the favour for all the info this forum has given me :)

I was a long-term heavy drinker during my ban, several bottles of wine per week, so my CDT levels would definitely have been significantly raised I reckon!
Decided to quit drinking altogether a few weeks before I knew I was likely to be invited to re-apply for my license by DVLA.
I'm middle aged, pretty fit and eat fairly healthily.
It ended up being just over 10 weeks of complete abstinence by the time my medical appointment came around.
Got my results back from DVLA about 10 days later and passed with 0.7% CDT!
No way of knowing whether 0.7 is my base level or how high it was to start with, so I may have been already at that level in under 10 weeks, but from all the hours of research I've done I'm very glad I did quit as early as I did!
Most useful info I found on it is that it halves about every 2 weeks. So if you're worst case scenario 10% to start with, then 5 x fortnights of halving that gets you down to well below 1.0% and a safe pass.
Much less than 10 weeks and I think you'd be taking a bit of a risk!
Hope this helps people!
Thanks

Could I be denied a license if my yearly review returns 0.8 when it was previously 0.6?

As long as there isn't anything else going on with current or new health conditions or you've been drinking within the last 6 - 12 months and have informed your GP as much (depending on if you've got misuse or dependency on file), no they shouldn't deny your licence renewal.

It being 0.2% higher will make no difference.

Edit: Try not to panic, if everything else is in order, you'll be just fine mate :)

Last edited:
Yes I agree make a new appointment, and I think with your previous days off drinking too (you haven't been drinking every day) I think you should be fine then, but binge drinking does catch people out thank god you found the forum first, a lot have been revoked 6/12 months because of this mistake, do let us know how you get on......good luck.....

Hi guys.....bit of a worry even though I've read and read and reread information and stories on here! Abstinent for longer than a year then so stupidly drank a lot of wine (probably 8+ bottles) over a 2 week period at Christmas. Guess I couldn't believe dvla would be so prompt (after receiving my gps response) in asking me for a medical. Stopped any alcohol boxing day and hoping to have medical and cdt test 12th Feb at latest. Please do you think this will be long enough to achieve normal levels? I'm kicking myself currently and test will be around 8 weeks after Christmas. My lfts etc were normal back in September so no reason to think those have been affected. Thank for any response and apologies if I've repeated myself!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off