CDT measures accepted by DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance
New rules brought into the dvla regarding dependancy back around February, previously a person could have a single night of drink ie wedding etc but they decided to go hard and fast due to the statistics of dependancy going full blown again!
Am afraid abstinence is exactly that#1 year totally free from alcohol

Last edited:
In cases where the DVLA have deemed a driver to be alcohol dependant, if they ever declare that they've consumed alcohol again they will be revoked for 1 year.

It doesn't matter if this is the year after your ban or 10 years after your ban, once you are on their system as dependant the only acceptable level or alcohol for them is 0. If you're abstaining from alcohol and have a slip it is always better to deal with this privately through a service like AA as if you go through your GP it's on your record for the DVLA to see come renewal time.

Sorry Guys,

Being a new member I haven't quite got the hang of this yet, replying I mean!
I know that DD989 doesn't want to hear this but Grice96 is absolutely right. If you are on a 1 year of Temporary Licence, when it comes to renewal, all the DVLA want to hear is that your alcohol consumption is '0'. If the DVLA have told you not to drive, you had better speak to your solicitor.

Sorry Guys,

Being a new member I haven't quite got the hang of this yet, replying I mean!
I know that DD989 doesn't want to hear this but Grice96 is absolutely right. If you are on a 1 year of Temporary Licence, when it comes to renewal, all the DVLA want to hear is that your alcohol consumption is '0'. If the DVLA have told you not to drive, you had better speak to your solicitor.
Just take your time and think of the replies

Just read your attachment , Honestman .
There is no reference to CDT having a “ half-life “ of two weeks ?
I seem to remember reading that on this very Website ( Drink Driving .org ) . . .

My question is , after a Medical producing a CDT of 2.6% . . . But a D1 which doesn’t take into account or allow explanation of “ Christmas Relaxation “ ( normally don’t drink any more ) . . . Am I right to believe that , just by sending a more Favourable , Private Medical Report . . . DVLA will look again , at my being Banned ( 12 months )

To be Honest , im in Shock . . . After riding 24,000miles over the last 3 years , having one year of complete Abstenence . . . A few drinks at home over Christmas has landed me the label “ alcohol Dependent “

If you have admitted to having a drink to DVLA no matter how small while running on a temporary licence, or you have been classed as alcohol dependent in the past then unfortunately this will be with you for life, meaning not taking any alcohol EVER again, if DVLA find that you have been unfaithful to the old booze then you will be revoked for a further 12 months until you can supply medical evidence that you have abstained once again for a total year, a CDT reading of 2.6 is well in the top end of problematic drinking and therefore a licence may well be refused until medical evidence can satisfy them through your GP, once you are labelled dependant there are no Christmas relaxation periods, this is for my life my friend and DVLA will not consider a private medical report, the only report they'll consider is a DD2 direct to your GP in 12 months time......don't forget to include your last drink date logged with your GP and your liver function tests over the year to show there are no abnormal blood markers.....and as part of your medical evidence.....

Yes muckypup there have been quite a few folk on this forum running on a temporary licence that maybe 3 years down the line have attended another DVLA medical and openly admitted to a small tipple during a special occasion on the medical questionarre and then find a letter in the post reminding them of alcohol dependence and a revocation of 12 months.....

GULP .
Wait . . .
OK , remind me , ( with a pair of bricks against my Head ) . . . So , on a temporary License ( as a previous High Risk ) I wasn’t allowed to drink . . . ? A drop ?

No wonder the Doctor doing the Blood test emphasised that the Desission had nothing to do with him . . . He was just doing his job .

I need to find the letter telling me I WASNT ALLOWED TO DRINK

Oh , btw , thanks for all your input Honestman

The whole point of a temporary licence is in case a driver relapses and so that they can keep an eye on you, in the event of taking alcohol (even a sniff) and openly admitting to them the result will be a revocation for 12 months, they are extremely strict on this process, however if you do decide to drink again (within the recommendations of 14 units a week) then don't tell them, but having said that if your CDT was 2.6 then I would advise you to have a liver function test with your GP because there is likely to be abnormal blood markers, this usually shows up in your GGT and will cause inflammation of your liver, if this turns out to be the case then you will need total abstination for a minimum of about 3 months for your liver to return to normal....welcome to the DVLA process matey.....on your letter it will state: confirmation of alcohol dependency, and it will state: we expect you to be free of alcohol ( not taking any alcohol) .....

All I can say is “ thanks “ for clearing that up . . . Between bouts of Banging my head against the wall and sitting on a sharp stick !

Feeling a tad sick now , and I only had 2 Lindor Chocolates .

Thanks for your reply, I thought cdt will stay raised for one to 2 months?

Hi Leilah . I’m with you on this . My understanding / interpretation of CDT explanations are for a HEALTHY Liver .
If you in any way feel that you may have been Persistently ABUSING / neglecting your Liver , then a much longer and STRICT ABSTINENCE would be advised .

Aire on the side of Caution , for fear of PERSECUSSION

OK guys been waiting 4 weeks and got my results this morning after bombarding the dvla with emails for my results in writing.Not even seen my doctor in 2 years and my CDT reading was 1.5 which is well within the lower limits to pass the medical.They wrote to my GP who notified them i had a drink issue some years back so they deemed me alcohol dependent which then refused my licence (bastard lot).Made an appointment with GP for blood tests as advised by the guys on here to begin the process of appeal.

Hi mate sorry to hear the refusal!
Can you confirm timescales what "some way back" the dvla can haunt you for 6 years(GP reports) but if highly dependent it's a lifetime of injustice considering they haven't really been clear in past!what's expected of each individual on the criteria's of regaining your licence/life
They basically work of a blanket regarding what criteria's you fall into, GP's are not that great at deciding what amounts to missuse or dependency unless they use AUDIT but no amount of self help will convince the dvla of your reduced or no drinking it has to be backed up with GP reports and preferably LFT tests every 3 months

Last edited:
I cut my fingers off after a bad accident in work 7 years ago and really got myself in a bad way drinking for pain relief.I went for counselling about 3 years ago as was starting to slip as me and the wife was going through a bad patch but spoke to those and was signed off after 3 sessions and no medication given and it was an informal chat with the doctor saying i was getting down and drinking to much, he put me on anti depressants which i still use. Last visit to the quack was over 2 years ago and this was stated on my medical. One mistake i made was saying i drank 16 units a week which maybe why the dvla doctor wrote to my GP as seen on here many times since to keep it at 14 or less (bugger)

Last edited:
Hi les best to tell them you don't drink anymore if your going to satisfy DVLA, get a last drink date recorded with GP and LFT tests, usually anyone classed as dependent then DVLA will be looking for a CDT reading of below 1%, you need to be aiming for 0.7/0.9.....

Hi les best to tell them you don't drink anymore if your going to satisfy DVLA, get a last drink date recorded with GP and LFT tests, usually anyone classed as dependent then DVLA will be looking for a CDT reading of below 1%, you need to be aiming for 0.7/0.9.....
I went on a huge bender 4 days before my test for 4 days 100/150 units easy and still got 1.5 reading so liver must be in good nick hahah, Got my dates mixed up and the GP sec phoned me on the friday and test was on the monday morning. After the advise off here i must have drunk 50 gallons over the weekend of water :D

I went on a huge bender 4 days before my test for 4 days 100/150 units easy and still got 1.5 reading so liver must be in good nick hahah, Got my dates mixed up and the GP sec phoned me on the friday and test was on the monday morning. After the advise off here i must have drunk 50 gallons over the weekend of water :D
Do they want another 1 year of abstinent from you then les, hope you haven't been flooded out as well given we are in the same area...?

Do they want another 1 year of abstinent from you then les, hope you haven't been flooded out as well given we are in the same area...?
My sawmill is the highest in the uk rassau industrial estate just off the heads and i live in beafort so not a chance but every where else below has been. Abergavenny/monmouth ect

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off