Caught Driving whilst Disqualified :(

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jmatt1234

Hi,
Let me make it clear first, these last two months a lot has gone down , I made some very stupid mistakes. I am a 21 year old student and was a amazon delivery driver, Before the first driving offence I did not have any previous criminal history nor any cautions or any problem with the system.

So on 3rd July , I was convicted of Failing to provide a specimen and Possession of like 4grams of cannabis -_- , I was stopped for not having my lights on by some undercover who just got lucky tbh and was a unlucky day for me. So they detained me searched my car I was alone they found the cannabis then requested a drug swab and they were unavailable. Got arrested and taken to the station asked for some blood this where I made the biggest mistake which I regret of not giving my blood as this was my first ever arrest and no solicitor I just did not know what was right or wrong.

So here comes court date on 3rd July, I was handed a 17month Driving ban and £469 in fines. £280 which was for the failing to provide.

The judge said I was disqualified and that DVLA will send me a letter requesting my licence. So I have been under the impression that I will still have a valid licence until they do request it and I received no paperwork nothing... also my driving licence on the DVLA was still showing as valid and no offences, points or disqualifications at this time.

So on the 21st July, my old friend who has ligament damage came knocking on my door he had told me that their is people after him and he needs to go somewhere safe which is my other friends house. Mind you this is a old friend from high school who I don't associate with too much. So because I am a good friend I got in my car and was taking him to my friends house where he could stay the night for safety as he had told me he cannot go home because they know where he lives.

As we were 5 minutes away , 4 police cars ambush me and saying your car has come up flagged for disqualified driving I followed and was truthful about everything with them, they dealt with it roadside this time no drug test, no arrest, nothing as I was honest with them from the start. They then told your car is going to be seized you'll have to go court when the letter comes to your house and explain everything to them. Their exact words were go in tell them everything you told us they might give you a slap on the wrist and not charge you or they could extend your ban but just don't drive again.

The letter of disqualification funnily came to my house on the 23rd July 2 days after I got caught again. Also my DVLA records were showing a clean valid licence until the 11th August which I have saved the pdf copies of for proof of this but they have now updated but I have saved copies and they are all dated. Hoping that will help my case. Now the code DR30 has been endorsed.

Now I have got court in two months , for the charges Driving Whilst Disqualified and Using a motor vehicle on a public road without third party insurance.

I am only the named driver on this policy so I thought the car would still be insured but obviously not to me.

I know this is a very bad two months for me which has caused my mental health issues to decline further.

I have written a 3 page plea of mitigation hoping that could help but I know the court will just give me a harsh sentence once again just not fair how driving has made me a criminal , I'm a good kid who made some rookie mistakes all because of corona.

Last edited:
Good evening.

I appreciate what you have written and the position you in but what help or advice is it that you are looking for?

Regards
Martin.

Hi thank you for your reply Martin really do appreciate it,

Well firstly I would like to know what they could sentence me too, would there be any chance to avoid a further ban? Surely it cannot be a custodial sentence as I have my second year of uni starting September. Would the proof of the DVLA clean licence till the 11th August help my situation. What is the best case scenario and the worst case scenario for me. I know I will be looked at as a HRO because of the Failing to provide in the previous case, also I believe they will try to put me into category 2 again. I really want to avoid a further ban as I hope to have the option to commute to university in my final year rather than rake on the debt of living out in that year also. :( Looking forward to your reply Martin , Thanks

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but this is an offence that carries custodial sentences and the fact you drove so soon after your ban will be something the Court will not like. I understand your confusion but when the Court disqualified you it was from that date and you would have to be able to show that you were not informed correctly to be able to get the sympathy of the Court.

To answer your second question they will almost certainly look to increase your ban.

All I can suggest is taking a good lawyer into Court with you to explain your circumstances or being very well prepared if you are representing yourself.

Best of luck.
Martin.

Thanks for this response, and fair enough we will have to see what the judges give me. It's just unlucky times but hey everyone has their worst days and this kind of stuff happens to the best of us, hopefully this shit year will be the last of them. Will update you after my court date.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off