Car insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance
My license was revoked after I declared my drinking problem. I was never convicted.
I'm in recovery now and about to get my license back. I assume it's a yearly one.
Do you think my insurance will go up by much?
Really worried

Hi buddy,go on moneysupermarket.com each day for a week or so,and get quotes each day they will vary each day.never insure from 6pm Friday to 8am Monday as it is always more expensive.i use 1st central before and after my drug driving conviction and my insurance was the same.i really Carnot see your insurance going up to much.

@neebob200 I did not know that insurance was more expensive over the weekend! Why would that be?
It's an urban myth. The optimal time to insure a vehicle is 30 days prior to when you want insurance to commence. As you get closer to the date the premium will increase as you will be viewed as someone who leaves things to the last minute and as far as the insurance companies are concerned this makes you a higher risk.

It's an urban myth. The optimal time to insure a vehicle is 30 days prior to when you want insurance to commence. As you get closer to the date the premium will increase as you will be viewed as someone who leaves things to the last minute and as far as the insurance companies are concerned this makes you a higher risk.
That's an urban myth 14 days is the optimal time to insure your car.

Why say 14?
All urban myths. Each insurance company has different algorithms. Some you get better prices if you start on a Monday, some if you buy 30 days in advance, some if your front door is painted blue and you have a dog called Jasper! You just need to shop around at different times to get the best option for yourself.

My license was revoked after I declared my drinking problem. I was never convicted.
I'm in recovery now and about to get my license back. I assume it's a yearly one.
Do you think my insurance will go up by much?
Really worried
Hi mate, don't panic my licence was revoked for 1 year for alcohol dependence/misuse, I also thought my insurance would go through the roof , however because now you are classed as a medical condition it would be discrimination if it went up, I drive a 3.0 litre shogun sport and much to my surprise my insurance is now the cheapest it's ever been coming in at £238 fully comp for the year......and that's shopping on confused.com, I have two motorbikes one brand new and the other is 2018 one was £135 and the other £186, hope this settles your mind.....

All urban myths. Each insurance company has different algorithms. Some you get better prices if you start on a Monday, some if you buy 30 days in advance, some if your front door is painted blue and you have a dog called Jasper! You just need to shop around at different times to get the best option for yourself.

Sorry, but this is also an urban myth. ALL insurance companies exchange information with each other on all of the parameters involved in premium calculation including risk profile. 21 days is the benchmark time period prior to the commencement of a policy for the optimal premium. Prior to this and circumstances can change but the insurer has already accepted the risk based upon the information provided, hence the premium will be higher. After 21 days you are deemed as a higher risk as you are leaving it late and are classed as having a lower level of responsibility and again, the premium will be higher. Having worked in the industry for 15 years I can state quite categorically that there is nothing arbitrary about quoting insurance premiums. It is an exact science.

@AlanT73 so I'm best to go for 21days?

I have had no license so can choose when I apply.

Also, what do you think the impact of my drinking problem will be on my premium? As per my original post, I've never been convicted

One important tip, check the company will cover a DR10 , what you don’t want to do is contact LV find they then refuse you insurance so when asked have you ever been declines insurance you have to say yes
It’s worth a call to the company - calling for a friend to ask do you cover DR10 drink driving

My house insurance was LV & a friend in the insurance trade said double check - did a mystery call
They would have declined me ! Got one via a broker that was cheaper
I know this is house but my car was with them as well !!

Sorry, but this is also an urban myth. ALL insurance companies exchange information with each other on all of the parameters involved in premium calculation including risk profile. 21 days is the benchmark time period prior to the commencement of a policy for the optimal premium. Prior to this and circumstances can change but the insurer has already accepted the risk based upon the information provided, hence the premium will be higher. After 21 days you are deemed as a higher risk as you are leaving it late and are classed as having a lower level of responsibility and again, the premium will be higher. Having worked in the industry for 15 years I can state quite categorically that there is nothing arbitrary about quoting insurance premiums. It is an exact science.
Sorry mate but you are generalising and therefore making things up!

Regarding quotes, each insurance company makes their own decision. They do not share information immediately to alter quotes, they do however share 'generic' and unpersonalised data over a period of time. They aggregate this data between themselves and make their own mind up what they want to insure. They may have too many risks (that is what each customer is) in a particular area e.g. drink drivers, and therefore decide we will not offer decent quotes to drink drivers until we have balanced their risk book. I have worked in financial services for 30 years (trumped you there mate!) and can categorically say that you will not necessarily get the best quote 21 days in advance. Check different insurers and put in different start dates and you will see! Yes, it is a science, but science is not always exact. Try different dates, you may find an insurer wants more business by the end of this week, therefore they will offer better rates if you want to start this week. Likewise, maybe all of a sudden a lot of their older risks have died, they want to balance the risk book and will offer better rates for older clients.

One important tip, check the company will cover a DR10 , what you don’t want to do is contact LV find they then refuse you insurance so when asked have you ever been declines insurance you have to say yes
It’s worth a call to the company - calling for a friend to ask do you cover DR10 drink driving
There is a difference between applying and getting a quote. If LV do not offer you a quote because you have said you have a DR10, this is not a decline. They have declined to quote. You are under no obligation then if you go to Direct Line (or any other company) to say you were declined. If however you are insured by LV (i.e. they have accepted your application and you are 'on risk') and then they find you have misled them about something, or make a claim and they find you are trying to defraud them, this is a decline and will be recorded as such and needs to be disclosed to future insurers.

There is a difference between applying and getting a quote. If LV do not offer you a quote because you have said you have a DR10, this is not a decline. They have declined to quote. You are under no obligation then if you go to Direct Line (or any other company) to say you were declined. If however you are insured by LV (i.e. they have accepted your application and you are 'on risk') and then they find you have misled them about something, or make a claim and they find you are trying to defraud them, this is a decline and will be recorded as such and needs to be disclosed to future insurers.
I was advised by a friend to be careful re providing details etc, so to all readers I would advise check I the company cover DR10 be clear what the DR10 is as many on the end-of a phone think it’s just traffic
Once you start the process of getting a quote ie giving details as they at that point think it’s just traffic you are on dodgy ground & they have your details
I had house insurance with LV which was due to be renewed but I checked & they don’t cover DR10 for house or car
So readers please note it’s house insurance as well even if not in your name
Basically do homework into the company

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off