Car insurance

Convicted Driver Insurance

MrsH1981

Hi,
I lost my licence today for 18 months. I don’t want to get rid of my car. What are my options for car insurance or is my current insurance automatically not valid?
Thanks

In order for your car insurance to be valid you will need your driving licence, no licence no linsurance, if you want to keep your vehicle you may park it up on your drive if you have one, or insure it on someone's name ....not the news you want but unfortunately that's the reality you face now......

I thought that was the case but saw a post recently about downgrading insurance to fire and theft. It wasn’t clear whether it was in the drink drivers name.

You won’t be able to get insurance of any kind of your car if you have a drink driving ban.
You can keep it off road and SORN it
You can get the car insured by someone else

I had the same issue, I was banned yesterday and my car is on finance and part of my agreement is that it has to be insured!
I cancelled my insurance yesterday as soon as I got out of caught and have someone else insured on my car now

One other thing, 18months is a long time for a car not to be driven - so you will need to take precautions if you go the SORN route - I am no mechanic but things like battery/ tyres. Maybe insure it in someone else's name who can drive it occasionally to keep it running. At least you wont be racking up mileage during that time

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off