Car insurance after DR10

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hardlessontolearn

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I wondered which insurance companies you guys are with after your DR10 convictions?

I’ve been quoted about £3,000 per annum for a 2023 Ford Fiesta. I’ll be driving on a 1 year medical licence, zero no claims and I’ll only be travelling about 10k miles per year.

Seems so expensive.

Thanks in advance.

Hi everyone,

I wondered which insurance companies you guys are with after your DR10 convictions?

I’ve been quoted about £3,000 per annum for a 2023 Ford Fiesta. I’ll be driving on a 1 year medical licence, zero no claims and I’ll only be travelling about 10k miles per year.

Seems so expensive.

Thanks in advance.
I was with mce insurance at 1st but think that’s not in business anymore ( was mainly a bike insurance place but it did higher risk car too) was with them 2 years then went with acorn since last year now with somewhere called got you covered . Vauxhall Meriva was my 1st car it definitely wasn’t near 3 grand to insure ,
Mustard insurance compare seamed to give me best prices at the time

I was with mce insurance at 1st but think that’s not in business anymore ( was mainly a bike insurance place but it did higher risk car too) was with them 2 years then went with acorn since last year now with somewhere called got you covered . Vauxhall Mavia was my 1st car it definitely wasn’t near 3 grand to insure ,
Mustard insurance compare seamed to give me best prices at the time
Thank you 🙏

Hi everyone,

Seems so expensive.

Thanks in advance.
I got my licence back late 2021 after a DR10 and went on the comparison sites and the best quotes i was getting was around £700 for a 2016 A class merc with no no claims and that was with Ford Insure. Roll forward a couple of years now with 2 years no claims and the price has gone up to just over £1000 and that's still with Ford Insure and the cheapest i could get. Other quotes i was getting was upwards of £1500!

I got my licence back late 2021 after a DR10 and went on the comparison sites and the best quotes i was getting was around £700 for a 2016 A class merc with no no claims and that was with Ford Insure. Roll forward a couple of years now with 2 years no claims and the price has gone up to just over £1000 and that's still with Ford Insure and the cheapest i could get. Other quotes i was getting was upwards of £1500!
It’s crazy, right?! Thank you for your reply. I’m thinking I need to go for a 2020 model rather than a 2023 as it’s be cheaper to insure. Then, in 2025 when I’ll no longer have to declare my conviction, insurance should go down a lot!

I went with Close Brothers/Lifesure. The cost of the premium was a jump, which was to be expected, but not as vast an increase as I expected (less than four figures for a 2017 A5). Which was a silver lining I guess.

That being said, owing to it being guaranteed I managed to preserve my NCD, which I guess made all the difference.

Funnily enough even though I no longer have to declare the conviction and endorsement (>5 years on now) they’re still comparible with anything the meerkat people can find!

I went with Close Brothers/Lifesure. The cost of the premium was a jump, which was to be expected, but not as vast an increase as I expected (less than four figures for a 2017 A5). Which was a silver lining I guess.

That being said, owing to it being guaranteed I managed to preserve my NCD, which I guess made all the difference.

Funnily enough even though I no longer have to declare the conviction and endorsement (>5 years on now) they’re still comparible with anything the meerkat people can find!
Thanks Sundog! I hope all is good with you; long time, no speak! I’ve got my medical today- exciting times!!!

I was with RCIB for the last 2 years. Insurance last year for a 2017 Jaguar XF was £800. This year with one DR10 live, the cheapest quote from them was £1700. Eventually went with Lloyds insurance but was still stupidly expensive at nearly £1500. That was the cheapest I could find.

I was with RCIB for the last 2 years. Insurance last year for a 2017 Jaguar XF was £800. This year with one DR10 live, the cheapest quote from them was £1700. Eventually went with Lloyds insurance but was still stupidly expensive at nearly £1500. That was the cheapest I could find.
The quotes are horrendously expensive but once 5 years has elapsed (from the conviction date), it’ll go back to somewhere near reasonable.
Until then, I guess we have to suck it up!

The quotes are horrendously expensive but once 5 years has elapsed (from the conviction date), it’ll go back to somewhere near reasonable.
Until then, I guess we have to suck it up!
So true. I remember getting a quote after my first DR10, on my mums policy, and it was an extra £1000 or so. I think to get insured on my own vehicle would have been about £3500 (on a small 1.1 litre vehicle). For anyone with 2 convictions in 10 years, I'd probably suggest accepting that you may not be driving again until the first conviction has passed the 5 year mark, and you no longer have to declare it to the insurance company.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off